BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2023, 01:24 AM   #23
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great information. I did not know 1200 miles breakin until this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #24
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
Great information. I did not know 1200 miles breakin until this thread.
Unfortunately, not that many people actually read the owner's manual on something that they may have shelled out over $100K for...

The vehicle can do a huge amount, and without reading the manual (likely more than once), you'd never really know.

Today's vehicles are rolling, fairly complex computers...unlike the vehicles you likely learned to drive on when transistors may have been the new thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:54 PM   #25
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Well then we can agree to disagree. I got my information from my dealer so I’ll go with that.
Not to beat a dead horse but I was at a bmw dealer this spring and the sales associate had no clue the x5 LCI was just entering the assembly lines and hitting show rooms very soon. the conversation was started by him telling me “the 24 had little to no changes”. He apparently hadn’t heard of the LCI before i promptly corrected him.

I never stop being amazed at the lack of knowledge dealerships have and how much miss information they disseminate. They cannot be trusted. Please don’t believe a word they say.

Get your information from trusted sources that do not have a conflict of interest. Do your pricing research and then hit a dealer only for them to facilitate a the transaction simply because you cannot do it without them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:19 AM   #26
RD_AlpinaXB7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2025 Alpina XB7, 2024 X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjpeakSD View Post
Hey guys! Just ordered a pretty much fully loaded M60i and was a little underwhelmed duringour first drive (power wise). We are coming from an Audi SQ7 which is also a twin turbo V8, but sounds much better and feels like our Audi has more torque, even though the X5 has bigger numbers on paper. I realize the X5 is limited for the first few hundred miles but what does that mean? Is it just a lower redline or is power actually limited? Just looking for some feedback from the group.
Thanks,

Jesse
DJspeakSD any update on this? I am dying to know. In September 2023 I bought my first brand new car: a 2024 X7 m60i and it was limited for the first 300mi with the RPMs limited and that limit would decrease as I progressed through those first 300 miles until it was ultimately gone. I did not notice the limit, being that I was coming from driving pickup trucks for the last decade. I absolutely loved the vehicle, but after 6 months or so I wanted more power and a different interior, so I traded it in for a 2025 Alpina XB7 this weekend. It also has the limiter, and it is heinously slow compared to the m60i. I am concerned lol. I am sincerely hoping that it is NOT just that the RPMs don't go past 4 (now its at 5, 120mi later). It also feels like the turbos are just OFF, or limited, or something. It is slower in the low RPMS than the m60i, too, and on paper it should not be: more torque, available earlier. The whole thing must be limited, right? Because the Alpina, with 108hp more than the m60i, has to be faster? I did read one article that says the m60i drives more sporty than the Alpina. I mean you can find any opinion you want to find online so that didn't dissuade me from trading up. But what does everyone think? Am I going to be disappointed when the full power is available? My uncle is an avid BMW driver, just bought a brand new M5 and it was not limited like this. He says there is now way in hell that the Alpina is slower than m60i - he says to be patient. Not one of my strengths. Would love input and experience from others. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:30 AM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD_AlpinaXB7 View Post
DJspeakSD any update on this? I am dying to know. In September 2023 I bought my first brand new car: a 2024 X7 m60i and it was limited for the first 300mi with the RPMs limited and that limit would decrease as I progressed through those first 300 miles until it was ultimately gone. I did not notice the limit, being that I was coming from driving pickup trucks for the last decade. I absolutely loved the vehicle, but after 6 months or so I wanted more power and a different interior, so I traded it in for a 2025 Alpina XB7 this weekend. It also has the limiter, and it is heinously slow compared to the m60i. I am concerned lol. I am sincerely hoping that it is NOT just that the RPMs don't go past 4 (now its at 5, 120mi later). It also feels like the turbos are just OFF, or limited, or something. It is slower in the low RPMS than the m60i, too, and on paper it should not be: more torque, available earlier. The whole thing must be limited, right? Because the Alpina, with 108hp more than the m60i, has to be faster? I did read one article that says the m60i drives more sporty than the Alpina. I mean you can find any opinion you want to find online so that didn't dissuade me from trading up. But what does everyone think? Am I going to be disappointed when the full power is available? My uncle is an avid BMW driver, just bought a brand new M5 and it was not limited like this. He says there is now way in hell that the Alpina is slower than m60i - he says to be patient. Not one of my strengths. Would love input and experience from others. Thanks!
You have zero to worry about. Wait until the 1,200 mile break-in period is over and then enjoy.
      04-29-2024, 09:47 AM   #28
Dixie21
Rep
Drives: 22 X5

It's kind of been covered, but also been muddied a bit. To clarify the initial 500km break-in vs the break-in listed in the manual. Power is signifcantly reduced for the first 500km, and so are the RPM's. The temporary red-line will increase slowly until you reach 500km at which point you have access to the proper rev limit and full power. Given how the power is delivered <500km, my guess is a combination of reduced boost and limited throttle input. I don't know if there are any extra software safeguards while you're under 2,000km but I recall having access to launch control in mine as soon as I was past 500km, and the overall power difference is significant.

The manual does state the break-in period is 2000km and gives certain liability warnings in it, but it's not like an M car that requires break-in service/fluid change with a software unlock. For what it's worth, the verbiage in the manual is identical to an M50i (which did not have a the 500km vehicle controlled break-in) so I think they just didn't bother updating it for the LCI.
Appreciate 0