United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I live on top of a mountain and it’s a twisty road home. 600 feet elevation change in 2 miles. The X5 is by far the flattest riding SUV I have ever driven home. I am doing speeds in the corners I would never be doing in other SUV’s. The low end torque of the V8TT in the corners rips you out effortlessly going up hill. I am going to go through tires fast.
I know exactly what you mean there! My X3 ate up tires to a degree with my style of drifting, I mean driving through some of the bendy bits.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #46
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Is there any way to keep the suspension more firm/sport mode-like, without actually being in sport mode? If you have the 2-axle suspension, can I make it my low-rider?? :P
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #47
munich67
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Hi, this is the "no air suspension" thread, therefore with "normal adaptive m-suspension" you can go sport mode and the tire pressure way. Here little helps a lot. Perhaps same effect with the air suspension .....?

With air many as you wanna go "sportier" and "lower"- with adaptive M normally the question is if it is comfortable enough. For my part M adaptive witch 20 inches is superb stiff with minimal body roll, sporty and comfortable enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #48
Supraman66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 40i; 10 BMW R1200RT

40, M Sport Design, 2 axle air, Ind Act Steer (IAS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I drove a few G05's without the DHP. they handle surprisingly well, the DHP simply makes everything better. I wish we could get anti roll stabilization + the M Sport Differential with the air suspension but otherwise I'm happy
I must admit that this forum is fantastic, but I am start to have stuff blend together. I have spent countless hours reading the board, reviewing the detailed build sheets, etc, etc.

So I am looking at a 40 with M sport design. This give you the adaptive M suspension. I wanted to add IAS, which in turn adds 2 axle air. When I do this, it does not warn me that the Adaptive M Suspension will be removed. If you build a 50 and you go to add comfort or dynamic options it will tell you that the Adaptive M Suspension will be removed.

So, in the infinite wisdom of this board....

Can you equip a 40 with M sport design (which includes the Adaptive M Suspension) with 2 axle air, and IAS which is NOT remove the Adaptive M Suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #49
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman66 View Post
I must admit that this forum is fantastic, but I am start to have stuff blend together. I have spent countless hours reading the board, reviewing the detailed build sheets, etc, etc.

So I am looking at a 40 with M sport design. This give you the adaptive M suspension. I wanted to add IAS, which in turn adds 2 axle air. When I do this, it does not warn me that the Adaptive M Suspension will be removed. If you build a 50 and you go to add comfort or dynamic options it will tell you that the Adaptive M Suspension will be removed.

Can you equip a 40 with M sport design (which includes the Adaptive M Suspension) with 2 axle air, and IAS which is NOT remove the Adaptive M Suspension?
The 50i has DHP which allows you to have IAS and keep the M adaptive suspension. BMW forces you to lose the M adaptive suspension for the air suspension if you order IAS in the 40i as you cannot get DHP on the 40i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #50
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I drove a few G05's without the DHP. they handle surprisingly well, the DHP simply makes everything better. I wish we could get anti roll stabilization + the M Sport Differential with the air suspension but otherwise I'm happy

M suspension has active dampers so with IAS that wouldn't matter since those air springs would take over the steel + dampers. The adjustability is still there but it's not the same as you think
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #51
Supraman66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 40i; 10 BMW R1200RT

Thank you both! That makes sense as to why people say that they feel so different. I was thinking that the air spring wouldn't change the rode much as the damper was the acting the same for both set ups, but that is not the case so I will need to drive the air spring, which I doubt feels like a boat (but to each their own opinion). Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #52
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you both! That makes sense as to why people say that they feel so different. I was thinking that the air spring wouldn't change the rode much as the damper was the acting the same for both set ups, but that is not the case so I will need to drive the air spring, which I doubt feels like a boat (but to each their own opinion). Thanks again!!
If you're test driving a 40i with 2VR (2-axle air), spend some time driving it in the various Drive Experience Control modes - Comfort, Sport. Putting DEC in Sport will adjust the characteristics of the active dampers and air suspension which lowers the vehicle by -20mm.

Appreciate 0