BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
njapilot1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Ceramic on Arctic Grey Metallic

Is it worth it for a car that isn't that dark of a color? I'm picking up our car tomorrow and getting PPF done but I'm wondering about ceramic coating. I know it's great for black or dark colors, but is there a big advantage for lighter color cars? It's $1000 more for the ceramic coating. I've never had it done before so I'm a nube in this department. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
ceramic additionally protects your vehicle in a different way than ppf, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I had an alpine white 2015 Audi Q7 (can't get any lighter than that). I wish it had ceramic coating cuz the swirls and light scratches in the clear coat that developed over time were very dark.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
njapilot1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ceramic additionally protects your vehicle in a different way than ppf, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I had an alpine white 2015 Audi Q7 (can't get any lighter than that). I wish it had ceramic coating cuz the swirls and light scratches in the clear coat that developed over time were very dark.
Okay, that's good to know. I appreciate the answer.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4591.00
      02-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
HouseMD
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

I got it on my Arctic Grey. A big factor for me is I have to park outside. That said, the 2013 Storm Grey (MUCH darker) 535 still looked great when I traded to in. It had a few swirls but not many.

For the price of the M50i I thought it was worth it. I also plan to keep the vehicle for 7 or so years.

Another factor was all of the posts on brake dust and wanting to keep the blue calipers looking good.

8 months in it looks brand new and the water still beads well. I do wash it every couple of weeks by hand and use TurtleWax Ceramic Wet when I dry it. It really doesn't add any time to the clean up and addresses any water spots. It leaves a deep shine. I use it on all surfaces including the glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
njapilot1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMD View Post
I got it on my Arctic Grey. A big factor for me is I have to park outside. That said, the 2013 Storm Grey (MUCH darker) 535 still looked great when I traded to in. It had a few swirls but not many.

For the price of the M50i I thought it was worth it. I also plan to keep the vehicle for 7 or so years.

Another factor was all of the posts on brake dust and wanting to keep the blue calipers looking good.

8 months in it looks brand new and the water still beads well. I do wash it every couple of weeks by hand and use TurtleWax Ceramic Wet when I dry it. It really doesn't add any time to the clean up and addresses any water spots. It leaves a deep shine. I use it on all surfaces including the glass.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I decided to go ahead and get it done. I'll be picking it up from the detailed next week. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Good choice. It's protective regardless of the color of the paint. An additional consideration is that AG is not really a light color - it's solidly in the dark grey range.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #7
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3, 2013 X5 35d

I just had it done on a new Arctic Grey. Results are amazing. It’s a Gtechniq Ultra on the paint and their product on the glass, wheels and leather.
Attached Images

2013 Jerez Black E92 M3 DCT ZCP | PFC Z54/Z45 BBK | MCS 2-way Remote Dampers | Hypercoil 600/900lb Springs | Ground Control Race Camber Plates | Bimmerworld Control Arm Bearings | Powerflex Sway Bar Bushings and Shock Mounts | EDC Delete | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake | Akrapovic Exhaust | Bimmerworld Race Studs | CSF Radiator | CSF Oil Cooler | Bimmerworld Power Steering Reservoir | Euro MDM | Lux H8 160 | BMW CF Front Splitters | BMW CF Competition Rear Spoiler | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | HRE R43
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4591.00
IFlyX5235.00
      04-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My dealership offers ceramic coating on newly purchased vehicles, which I took advantage of, but then I learned about paint protection film through this forum and wanted that for my vehicle, so I did this: ceramic coating on top of stealth ppf over OEM arctic grey. the detailer's ceramic coating is so much better than my dealer's. if you decide to get it, highly recommend shopping around for a quality product as the dealership's may not be (like mine).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
IFlyX5235.00
      04-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
Herr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e X-line

Brila Redline glass coating on Artic Grey.
I was told that BMW paint is very soft so I decided for glass coating.
Dirt will stick on it but can be easily removed with a high pressure washer
After 1 year still happy with it. A few swirls are visible.
Attached Images

04-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr View Post
Brila Redline glass coating
How long is that brand's durability?