BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2024, 05:39 PM   #1
miked02
Rep
Drives: e92

Is it normal for the car to move when shifting from park?

2020 X5 - When I start the car, keeping my foot on the brake pedal, then shift to reverse to exit the garage, the car experiences some motion, soft of like a soft lurch.

Just wondering if this is normal or if I should bring it in. It still has CPO warranty.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 05:49 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked02 View Post
2020 X5 - When I start the car, keeping my foot on the brake pedal, then shift to reverse to exit the garage, the car experiences some motion, soft of like a soft lurch.

Just wondering if this is normal or if I should bring it in. It still has CPO warranty.

Thanks
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "some motion", are you saying it actually rolls backwards with your foot still on the brake? If so, how far?

All automatics I've ever driven give a little nudge when going from park to drive or park to reverse or drive to reverse, etc. With the foot on the brake, the car doesn't actually roll any at all, its just a nudge as if someone is pushing on the bumper but your foot is on the brake so all you feel is the suspension moving. My X5 is very smooth in this regard and you can hardly feel the nudge. Some might call it a squat.

If yours is actually moving backwards, yes you should have it checked out. You may have brake issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 06:27 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Somewhat depends on what the current idle speed is plus, whether the parking brake is engaged, but yes, shifting into gear can cause a slight movement as the drivetrain tensions up. Doesn’t actually mean that the vehicle actually rolls forward or backwards though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:33 PM   #4
miked02
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "some motion", are you saying it actually rolls backwards with your foot still on the brake? If so, how far?

All automatics I've ever driven give a little nudge when going from park to drive or park to reverse or drive to reverse, etc. With the foot on the brake, the car doesn't actually roll any at all, its just a nudge as if someone is pushing on the bumper but your foot is on the brake so all you feel is the suspension moving. My X5 is very smooth in this regard and you can hardly feel the nudge. Some might call it a squat.

If yours is actually moving backwards, yes you should have it checked out. You may have brake issues.
By some motion I really mean more of a nudge as you call it. As far as I can tell the wheels aren't moving when it happens. I've only ever owned cars with a manual transmission / or electric and never really paid attention to this in rentals etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Somewhat depends on what the current idle speed is plus, whether the parking brake is engaged, but yes, shifting into gear can cause a slight movement as the drivetrain tensions up. Doesn’t actually mean that the vehicle actually rolls forward or backwards though.
Thanks. Tomorrow I'll try to take a video to capture the lurch/ nudge and hopefully that will confirm it's normal. Probably overthinking it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:55 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
By some motion I really mean more of a nudge as you call it. As far as I can tell the wheels aren't moving when it happens. I've only ever owned cars with a manual transmission / or electric and never really paid attention to this in rentals etc.

Thanks. Tomorrow I'll try to take a video to capture the lurch/ nudge and hopefully that will confirm it's normal. Probably overthinking it.
In that case it sounds normal to me. In some cars, not the X5, well at least not in mine, when you shift from park into any drive gear, the car will nudge and depending on the rpm at that point it may even squat a little as the suspension soaks in the nudge and I've had cars that would even make a sound when this happens, something like sitting in an old chair with springs under the bottom cushion. Normally this would be in an old car with tired suspension bushings

Right you are, you would never hear or feel any of this in a manual tranny car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In a manual transmissioned vehicle, sort of like having the parking brake on after putting it in gear, then starting to release the clutch…it may not move, but any slack in the drivetrain would be taken up and you might feel it.

In a situation where the idle speed is higher than normal because of the cold, you might notice it a bit more.

Without being there, it does sound normal, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
In a manual transmissioned vehicle, sort of like having the parking brake on after putting it in gear, then starting to release the clutch…it may not move, but any slack in the drivetrain would be taken up and you might feel it.

In a situation where the idle speed is higher than normal because of the cold, you might notice it a bit more.

Without being there, it does sound normal, though.
This exactly. You're just loading up against the brakes. This is basically how launch control in an automatic works, except in launch control you've got full brakes applied and you're pushing against it with a lot more power than just sitting at idle.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:33 PM   #8
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

Quote:

Thanks
If your X5 is S-Drive, there is the following TSB.
Appreciate 0