BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
djh2020
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Windscreen fogging with HVAC on auto

I’m on a road trip and I’m driving in much colder temperatures than I normally do. -11c / 12f, As a rule I normally leave HVAC on 72f and auto and it works great. During the trip the windscreen and the side windows started to fog (quite abruptly). I switched the venting to windscreen by hitting max windscreen vent button and that got rid of it. After switching back to auto and continuing for an hour it suddenly did it again.

Has anyone else experienced this? It has not done this in warmer, more temperate temps so I feel like that’s a factor maybe. I have only had the car a couple of months so I am not 100% sure about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Make sure air conditioner is set to ‘on’ with your auto setting (dehumidifies the air inside). I’ve also experienced some fogging of driver’s side window in very cold temperatures (say, below 5F), which can be diminished by cranking up the defroster, as you did.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
djh2020
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Make sure air conditioner is set to ‘on’ with your auto setting (dehumidifies the air inside). I’ve also experienced some fogging of driver’s side window in very cold temperatures (say, below 5F), which can be diminished by cranking up the defroster, as you did.
It did it again today when an old truck (really old) pulled in front of me. I am wondering if it is automatically recycling the air inside the cabin from time to time if it detects the air quality outside is below par.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2020 View Post
It did it again today when an old truck (really old) pulled in front of me. I am wondering if it is automatically recycling the air inside the cabin from time to time if it detects the air quality outside is below par.
Thats most definitely it
Appreciate 0