BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2023, 03:32 PM   #111
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Well I don't even have the road noise issue It's the same as with the 45e.
I have the dampeners from factory and acoustic glas.
My 45e is super quiet, even w/o the acoustic glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #112
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The prevailing road surface technique used where you live can make a huge difference in the sound level inside your vehicle. Now, one could argue that BMW could include more sound deadening in their vehicles, but for many, it's not an issue at all. Then, some tires just transmit and create more noise than others. Not everyone's hearing is linear or wideband. Personally, I have a significant high frequency hearing loss, but for most of the voice range, it's fine.

I had one vehicle that in the short test drive was impressive, but on a long interstate drive, it was to the point where it really got on my nerves. To salvage that vehicle, I spent about $1K at a stereo shop to have some sound mats installed. That improved things significantly. While an annoying potential add-on, if it really bothers you, that is a consideration. When I bought mine, they had just removed the acoustic glass as an option. It can be retrofitted, but while not that hard of a job, the cost in parts is significant unless you could recoup some by selling the old glass (likely at a big discount, if you could at all). Maybe if you could find some in a salvage yard, the cost might be useful, but that won't solve the issue. Switching to a non-starred tire might make the problem better or worse. NVH is a thing that is considered when BMW works with tire manufacturers for their OEM tires. A lower profile tire and the tread compound and pattern can make a difference, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #113
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The prevailing road surface technique used where you live can make a huge difference in the sound level inside your vehicle. Now, one could argue that BMW could include more sound deadening in their vehicles, but for many, it's not an issue at all. Then, some tires just transmit and create more noise than others. Not everyone's hearing is linear or wideband. Personally, I have a significant high frequency hearing loss, but for most of the voice range, it's fine.

I had one vehicle that in the short test drive was impressive, but on a long interstate drive, it was to the point where it really got on my nerves. To salvage that vehicle, I spent about $1K at a stereo shop to have some sound mats installed. That improved things significantly. While an annoying potential add-on, if it really bothers you, that is a consideration. When I bought mine, they had just removed the acoustic glass as an option. It can be retrofitted, but while not that hard of a job, the cost in parts is significant unless you could recoup some by selling the old glass (likely at a big discount, if you could at all). Maybe if you could find some in a salvage yard, the cost might be useful, but that won't solve the issue. Switching to a non-starred tire might make the problem better or worse. NVH is a thing that is considered when BMW works with tire manufacturers for their OEM tires. A lower profile tire and the tread compound and pattern can make a difference, too.
Absolutely pavement type is a major contributor. I travel a road with some regularity that has a particular composition and surface grooving that results in an obnoxious hum, but that is the case no matter what car I am driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #114
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Your M50i is an exceptionally capable and robust vehicle as I am sure you are aware but the difference between the M50i and M60i is waaay more than just a 48V battery. The M60i has the all new M series S68 V8 which shares nothing with the N63 in the M50i and has been shown to produce an approximate 580 HP on crap 91 octane. The 48V mild hybrid also has the ability to throw 147 lb ft of torque on the fire when appropriate which is very noticeable and well beyond merely facilitating the stop/start process. There are many other refinements as would be expected with any LCI model. I came out of an M50i and went directly into an M60i and can tell you that the LCI is a significant upgrade but once again that would be expected.
Seriously hard to believe that anyone would make a decision between a '23 and '24 because of few "buttons"
Your M50i is a great vehicle, enjoy it.
I would find it difficult to believe that you would say any different to what you have said as you have bought an M60i which is a great car but it doesn't mean that other people can't have a different opinions, that's what the forum is for not to get nasty.
Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
tooloud10790.50
      10-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #115
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

I did a Db comparison between the 2024 loaner and my 2020. On the same road, the 2024 had a moderately higher db than my car at each speed 40/50/60/70/80. Granted the 2024 had 21 inch tires and mine has 20s (both RFT). But it was more than just the sound level. It was the nature of the sound in the 2024...more of a hollow booming. No excuse for removing the dampeners.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      10-04-2023, 06:00 PM   #116
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
No excuse for removing the dampeners.
Really? They did that?

My 2019 40i is insanely quiet, folks comment on it. Original run flats too. I'm VERY picky about having a quiet car in the luxury group.

Am an audiophile building high end HT speakers for 40 years or so. I used a bitumen padding material on my last 15" subs. If you're up to it you can DIY and save a lot of money. Here's another solution. https://www.parts-express.com/Acry-T...105?quantity=1
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 06:02 PM   #117
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

The guys who think the X5/X6 has excessive road noise need to drive a Cayenne for a month. I've had 2 of them and can tell you they are way louder than the X5s.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020155.00
      10-04-2023, 06:10 PM   #118
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Initially, the dampeners were only installed on vehicles with specific tires...IOW, not all of them were there at all. It was primarily those with the 22" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #119
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

My X5M60i with 22" is very quiet
Appreciate 2
0_steve159.00
TN2SC2020155.00
      10-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #120
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
Why are you screwing with the climate control so much? Automatic climate control systems have been able to handle that scenario for 20 years now. At a minimum if you drop the temperature the fan speed will compensate.
It's not that great unfortunately. It happens every summer, the rest of the year I don't touch it at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:39 PM   #121
Jackxhh
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i

I think it all depends on the sales figure. If Bmw can sell more cars and make more profit, I don't see why they would bring buttons back. They have to do something different, otherwise in years time there will be another group of people whining about Bmw not changing. Not saying any new thing they change is better, but they have to try, if sales is worse than expected I'm sure they will adjust.
People need to understand, majority of customers matter, not individuals. For my business, I'm very happy to lose those who complains a lot, try to make a point of their thoughts etc. I think losing them is good for business anyway. They can simply walk away, choose something else in the market, instead they find every change whining on internet wasting everyone's time.

Understand everyone has opinions and everyone can share their thoughts, well these are my thoughts.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 02:38 AM   #122
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horr View Post
Any time you force the driver to divert attention from the road is not only annoying but dangerous. You want to minimize that time. This means buttons that are easy to reach and can be detected by feel without having to look down. A touch screen that you need to lean over to reach and have to look at to find the correct spot is the exact opposite of good design.
Generally agree. What is a bit confusing to me though is that this never seemed to be an issue on the older models. The last time the X5 had discernable buttons was the E53 in the early 2000's. Since then they weren't but have been gradually moved further up. So now you have to look considerably less down (not seeing the road at all anymore) but might have to focus 0.5-1s longer on where your finger is going. (I personally feel like I don't but see how people could need longer.) So IS this really that much of a difference in terms of attention on the road? I personally feel like I can actually see more of what's going on on the road when changing the climate settings since I only move my eyes a few degrees below the windscreen so I can still see a lot in my peripheral view while that wasn't the case in my 7-series (F01) or any of my older BMW's really.

Take the "Max a/c" button for example, since this seems to be one of the biggest issues due to hot climates: On the pre-lci it was one of many completely indiscernible buttons that was even located on the passenger side and A LOT further down than the screen. You HAD to look down (while basically being blind, you won't see anything anymore here) and go look for the button. But at least a single click would do it. On the LCI (8.5) you will look at the screen instead (while still seeing the road, you could probably actually drive like that, in theory) and do two clicks. Both actions on the LCI and pre-LCI will happen on completely flat surfaces so you have to look where you are putting your finger, the pre-LCI will give you some haptic feedback though so you can take your eyes off maybe 0.2s earlier, but you will have to look where you are putting your finger before that.

As another example one function I do use quite often on both my 7-series and my X5 is seat ventilation and I can tell you the X5 is taking about the same amount of attention off the road that my 7-series did, maybe slightly less. I have to "push" two "buttons" instead of one, yes, but I'd usually still look down for a second in my 7-series to see where my hand is going, not seeing the road at all anymore, while I can still see the road in the X5 and my first press on the LCI is usually without looking (on the temperature setting so the small seat ventilation/heating menu comes up) and the second with looking at the screen, while I can still see the road. Just my personal experience.

So now you are telling me that this difference makes the pre-LCI that much better that no one could reasonably think people just aren't arguing in good faith when framing this as a completely reckless decision by BMW, just to save a buck? (There's also another reason to consider btw.: Design.)

I can't help but notice that complaints about the climate controls are still coming from non-LCI-owners 99% of the time. So I'll also leave it at that. There's no point in arguing with people about it that don't have to actually deal with it while others wo actually do seem to be fine with it. We could probably argue about 10ths of a second more or less that it takes to find a button and degrees more or less that you have to look further down/away from the road until the next X5 is released and it won't change anyones mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
With pre-LCI I know where the buttons are and can click the buttons without looking there. With LCI you have to switch attention to the screen to change the fan speed (and it takes 2 clicks).
I know where the temperature "buttons" are as well, on the LCI. I could change the temperature completely blind, if I'd have to. Which I so far hardly ever did because the automatic function is working perfectly fine for me. (Actually better than in my older BMW's. Maybe people are not setting it to "automatic" but using manual fan-speed instead? And then there's also voice control.) The argument that looking at the screen in the middle takes your attention off the road completely would apply to any speedometer that is no HUD as well. In fact looking at the speedometer-display has me see less of the road than looking at the middle screen due to the different angle. Weirdly enough people on here aren't arguing against regular speedometers and for the necessity of a HUD due to "safety concerns", even though you will probably have to look at your speedo about 1.000x times more often than change your temperature settings. (Although looking at some of the arguments on here there might actually be some people who are changing their temperature more often than checking their speed. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
There is, in fact, no truly "automatic" setting for the HVAC in a BMW (or at least the X5). In automatic mode, you should simply be able to set the temperature and the system takes care of adjusting the temperature and volume of air coming out of the vents, and which vents are activated. I have several cars that operate just this way; if you adjust the volume of air coming from a vent manually, it takes the hint, returns control to you, and switches off "automatic" mode. On the BMW, you can still fiddle with the vent temp, and the vent volume, which begs the question: in what sense is it automatic?
In a BMW you can actually have both: "Hard-set" the vent speed so it stays at a certain speed, no matter what. Or "soft-set" it to tell the a/c that you'd rather have less & cooler air to cool the cabin or more & warmer air to do the job. It makes perfect sense to me, honestly and I wouldn't just consider it "automatic" I'd consider it an "automatic control that I can even tell my preferences."

I don't understand what "hint" the car should take if I'd block the left drivers vent for example. When I close it I just don't want air coming out of that vent, there's nothing more to it. If the car would then set the fan-control to "manual" it would seriously annoy me. Same goes for the setting of the upper vents temperature (which I rarely use). The only improvement I could imagine is that it would make more sense to be able to set a certain cabin temperature and control both the upper AND lower vents independently. When getting in the car after skiing for example I could imagine wanting 21°C in the car but warm feet. The only way to do this right now (and ever for that matter) was to set the a/c to 26°C and the upper vents to "cold". But in my 16 years of owning BMW's I think I haven't done that more than once or twice and we are arguing about such tiny details here (for me) that affect maybe 0.1% of my experience with a car that it really hardly matters to me.

Quote:
Well, maybe that is the answer. Dampeners and acoustic glass are not available options for the USA LCI
If you mean the blocks attached to the front axle to minimize vibrations I think those were also installed on US models but only if the vehicle was ordered with 22's (or was it 21's?), there's a thread on it on this forum, it has something to do with the rim-size. I haven't checked if my X5 has it, but it came with 22's so I think it does. I've also ordered it with acoustic glass but am not sure how much difference that actually makes.

My X5 is about as quiet, maybe even quieter (especially in electric mode at lower speeds), as my F02 750Ld. Especially at higher speeds I'm amazed by how quiet it is. Wind noise was my major concern due to the car being a lot taller/higher but to my surprise even at 120mph the car is still not noticeably louder than my 7-series.
Attached Images

Last edited by SwissBeemer; 10-05-2023 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
Heavyd867.50
WagonFan271.50
      10-05-2023, 03:56 AM   #123
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxhh View Post
For my business, I'm very happy to lose those who complains a lot, try to make a point of their thoughts etc. I think losing them is good for business anyway. They can simply walk away, choose something else in the market, instead they find every change whining on internet wasting everyone's time
Unless some of those customers have a valid point and you refuse to listen to them.

The general concensus seems to be that most people adjust to the new configuration simply because they have to if they buy it. It's certainly nothing revolutionary or that has people excited. Given a choice, I think most customers would still want the buttons back and also a better integrated dash display that doesn't look so uninspired.

Rob
Appreciate 6
hotvee141.00
Mixitt372.00
dan149568.50
X3_Alaska158.50
tooloud10790.50
1Boxer36.00
      10-05-2023, 05:33 AM   #124
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Unless some of those customers have a valid point and you refuse to listen to them.

The general concensus seems to be that most people adjust to the new configuration simply because they have to if they buy it. It's certainly nothing revolutionary or that has people excited. Given a choice, I think most customers would still want the buttons back and also a better integrated dash display that doesn't look so uninspired.

Rob
Count me out.
I genuinely like it. Although I was afraid after reading all those doomsday messages in the beginning of the year.

I really don’t miss the 45e layout.

Wonder what an inspired display looks like.
Can’t say I find the Merc and Audi dashes as posted in this thread look very inspired.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 05:48 AM   #125
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
The general concensus seems to be that most people adjust to the new configuration simply because they have to if they buy it.
Which is the case for every single change on a new car.

I "grabbed" the non-existent shifter twice and somehow had to adjust to the new lever. I also had to adjust stepping down when getting out of the car as opposed to my 7-series. All these changes, just like the temperature control, don't bother me, but I still had to adjust to it or otherwise the car wouldn't go into gear or I would fall out of the car when getting out.

But it seems that for some people any change itself and not how little it is or if it actually affects convenience in any way seems to be negative per se. I actually know people like that myself. I call them grandpa and grandma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Wonder what an inspired display looks like.
Can’t say I find the Merc and Audi dashes as posted in this thread look very inspired.
And you can be sure to find tons of people on the Merc/Audi forum complaining about it. It's almost as if some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.

Last edited by SwissBeemer; 10-05-2023 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 06:36 AM   #126
Jackxhh
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:

Rob
No one is forced to buy anything, you certainly don't 'have to' learn new things if you don't want to. Simply don't buy it or buy something else. People don't need a BMW, they want a BMW. If you listen to a song that you don't like, what do you do? You find a forum and complain. You know what I would do? I just stop listening to that.
If people make 'valid points' and bmw ignores, at the end of the day if they still sell loads of LCI cars, that means to me 'most customers' don't really care and buttonless definitely not a deal breaker. The goal is to make money and run business, not to please everyone.
Or you and your 'most customers' can gather around in here, agree with each other and make yourselves feel better.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 06:47 AM   #127
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
This thread concerns what's wrong with the LCI. I think the "elephant in the room" is the road noise issue (I'm sure everyone has seen the long thread about it on this forum). I experienced it myself with a 2024 40i loaner. BMW removed the suspension dampeners for some unknown reason, but no one seems to have a clear handle on what's causing the problem...less sound deadening material, no dampeners, tires, etc. I like all the changes to the X5 including iDrive 8.5 and planned to do an upgrade. But my current 2020 X5 is extremely quiet and I don't want to lose that quality.
I haven’t noticed any road noise issue on my US 50e. But I just may not be as sensitive as others.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 07:36 AM   #128
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamio View Post
My X5M60i with 22" is very quiet
So is my X6 M60i, no problems at all and much quiter than the Cayennes we owned. No "button" issues or meltdowns either but then again we actually own an LCI and enjoy the ease of the "automatic" set it and forget climate control here in FL which works great as other '24 X5/X6 adopters have mentioned on this forum.
I agree with the other current LCI owners here that this is the best BMW SUV we've owned.

Last edited by cobramite; 10-05-2023 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:36 AM   #129
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Some of the OP's items should have been identified during a test drive.

For everything else, many things are personal preference. I like my 50e LCI. However I probably would have preferred a few more buttons, rather than having most everything touch screen.

I expected the steering to be more direct for the Ultimate Driving Machine. But on my trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains, with plenty of curves, switchbacks (e.g. 180 degrees) it handled perfect and felt save at any time.

For me the driving systems, build and feel are superior. I as well don't experience excessive road noise.

My biggest item wrong with the LCI at this point is the stability of iDrive 8.5. Yes, I have an early August build and early version. I abandoned CarPlay for now, constant freezes of shortcuts and frequent reboots I have to perform are annoying. BMW could help the owner experience with offering more frequent updates, but choose not to do so.

I am hoping that new owners are getting the upcoming OTA update as well and that this version will have most of the initial bugs fixed. To clarify: I do like the system and shortcuts in general and have no problem with the climate control. It's the stability.

One other item I am missing:
Give me in hybrid mode a possibility to see RPM and Engine temperature in the instrument display.

But none of those are changing my overall personal positive experience with the LCI.
Appreciate 4
      10-05-2023, 09:00 AM   #130
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Lets also point out the fact that some of these aggressive LCI bashers are butthurt because they can't afford a new one so they construct all kinds of excuses about how bad the new model is. Classic Psych 101 stuff.
You're delusional.

Now go wax that bomb, it longs for your frequent hands on touch.

Last edited by Mixitt; 10-05-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
tooloud10790.50
      10-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #131
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
It's not that great unfortunately. It happens every summer, the rest of the year I don't touch it at all.
The part that AUTO doesn't take into account is sun heat as opposed to temp heat. If you live in the south or any sunny/hot climate the BMW system is terrible. I've tinted the windshield to try and reduce the hot feeling but ultimately its a system that doesn't work without constantly adjusting the fan speed to overcome whatever the engineers tried to account for. The LCI makes adjusting it much more clunky and having to reset maps or whatever your idrive was on is another extra step. Fan speed at the bottom of the screen would be optimal.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #132
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
The part that AUTO doesn't take into account is sun heat as opposed to temp heat. If you live in the south or any sunny/hot climate the BMW system is terrible. I've tinted the windshield to try and reduce the hot feeling but ultimately its a system that doesn't work without constantly adjusting the fan speed to overcome whatever the engineers tried to account for. The LCI makes adjusting it much more clunky and having to reset maps or whatever your idrive was on is another extra step. Fan speed at the bottom of the screen would be optimal.
LCI automatic setting in climate works just fine here in S FL. I have it set on 72* and have had no need to fuss with any other buttons or switches. The systems maintains the temperature and adjusts the fan as needed, works so well that I really pay no attention to it.

Last edited by cobramite; 10-05-2023 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0