BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2024, 07:54 PM   #1
southtdi
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Another 22" Tire Question

Hello,

I have a '21 X5 XDrive40i with the MSport package, brakes, and 22" wheels. I just bought it used with low miles and really like the look but not a fan of the summer tires.

Where I live it does get cold so that also isn't great for the summer tires during that time either. However, it rarely ever snows (every few years) and rarely is there ice either. That being said for me due to weather and also use, summer tires are not the best choice. I prefer all-season tires as they tend to work best.

I am not a fan of Pirelli tires in general and would something else. I found Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus tires in a plus size I think may work. The sizes are 275/40/22 and 315/35/22. Looking at the specs they are just a little larger in circumference, but the size is nearly identical between the 2 at 30.7' dia. front and rear.

Has anyone run this size and have any pictures? Thoughts on the Continentals? I ran a much earlier set of DWS tires a long time ago on another car and they were pretty good but much less sidewall and treadwear on those older ones was not very good.

I know some will say to look at a separate set of 20" wheels for winter but due to the mild winter other than getting in the 30's, and occasionally colder, it just doesn't seem worth it to buy a complete separate set of wheels.

I did dig through a bunch of threads and didn't see much mentioned about the Continental's or those sizes. If I missed it, I apologize.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:20 PM   #2
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I don't know the answer but I'm curious if it would rub at all with the extra sidewall.

It would obviously throw off the speedometer, so that would have to be dealt with, not sure if that's something bimmercode or other programs can do?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:47 AM   #3
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtdi View Post
Hello,

I have a '21 X5 XDrive40i with the MSport package, brakes, and 22" wheels. I just bought it used with low miles and really like the look but not a fan of the summer tires.

Where I live it does get cold so that also isn't great for the summer tires during that time either. However, it rarely ever snows (every few years) and rarely is there ice either. That being said for me due to weather and also use, summer tires are not the best choice. I prefer all-season tires as they tend to work best.

I am not a fan of Pirelli tires in general and would something else. I found Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus tires in a plus size I think may work. The sizes are 275/40/22 and 315/35/22. Looking at the specs they are just a little larger in circumference, but the size is nearly identical between the 2 at 30.7' dia. front and rear.

Has anyone run this size and have any pictures? Thoughts on the Continentals? I ran a much earlier set of DWS tires a long time ago on another car and they were pretty good but much less sidewall and treadwear on those older ones was not very good.

I know some will say to look at a separate set of 20" wheels for winter but due to the mild winter other than getting in the 30's, and occasionally colder, it just doesn't seem worth it to buy a complete separate set of wheels.

I did dig through a bunch of threads and didn't see much mentioned about the Continental's or those sizes. If I missed it, I apologize.
Another option would be just to sell them and use 20s with all season. The 22s are really bad about picking up nails debris. I would say it’s the softer compound of the summer tire and going back to 20s you’ll have more of a cushion hitting potholes, etc. and the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #4
poison
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6

Don't know about that size, but dws are a good compromise all season tire that handles well.
Appreciate 1
LDT1599.50
      01-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #5
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

DWS is a good tire and I like them. However I’d buy Pirellis in all-season and the proper OEM size. There’s always a chance that non OEM sizes will void the powertrain warranty. Also www.calculator.net is helpful
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
southtdi
Rep

Thanks for the responses.

I am still considering 20's but if I do I need to make sure I get the correct wheels that will fit over my MSport brakes. While the car does have the MSport package, and I do like the look of the 22's,

I do agree there is much more of an inherit risk of nails, etc. I did get lucky and did not get run flat tires and will keep it that way. Ran those before on other cars and always switched them out when putting on new tires. Just not a fan of the ride.

As for the warranty, that is a good point. While it is a grey area BMW could sure make it a miserable ordeal to get warranty work done should anything related come up, especially anything with the XDrive system.

I'll keep mulling it over but may just go with 20's and be done with it. I believe it is the 740M wheels I need if I am correct. They will work with the MSport calipers.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:48 PM   #7
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
DWS is a good tire and I like them. However I’d buy Pirellis in all-season and the proper OEM size. There’s always a chance that non OEM sizes will void the powertrain warranty. Also www.calculator.net is helpful
Uh, what? These are slightly oversized tires, not big heavy ass mud tires. There is no conceivable way that they could deny a powertrain warranty claim over slightly larger tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 06:30 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The biggest thing is whether the rolling diameter between the two axles is close enough, and if they do not impact anything while potentially at full lock while hitting a bump at speed.

Some living in Europe have reported problems with their warranty when fitting even non-BMW approved tires on their vehicle let alone a non-stock size. The law is a bit more flexible in the States, as to deny warranty work, they'd have to prove the 'mod' you performed was the cause of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:18 PM   #9
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
DWS tires look and ride pretty nice when new but within 2 to 5000 miles they sound like a washing machine thump thump, thump, thump, thump until they warm up. They get flat spots very quickly I don’t recommend them. I had them on a Vw made them replace them twice. Finally I took a refund and bought something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:48 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Uh, what? These are slightly oversized tires, not big heavy ass mud tires. There is no conceivable way that they could deny a powertrain warranty claim over slightly larger tires.
there are reports of some dealerships denying warranty claims from owners mounting non-OEM tire sizes

you even have some tire shops that won’t mount non-OEM tire sizes to save the customer from potential future headaches with BMW dealerships
Appreciate 1
LDT1599.50
      01-08-2024, 11:25 PM   #11
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

These are very good tires. They are close enough in diameter to be technically ok and people running such upsized setup have not reported any issues. However, it is likely that if and when there are issues with the transfer case (which is sort of inevitable regardless of the tires), BMW will likely or possibly deny warranty. Its a risky proposition. These transfer cases are fragile and very expensive. I would not hand BMW a free pass in replacement of something they should have done better on. I would stick with OEM sizes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:41 AM   #12
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
there are reports of some dealerships denying warranty claims from owners mounting non-OEM tire sizes

you even have some tire shops that won’t mount non-OEM tire sizes to save the customer from potential future headaches with BMW dealerships
In the US at least, they would have to prove the tires caused the failure, which there's no way they could prove, because it's a SLIGHTLY different size.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 12:23 PM   #13
southtdi
Rep

I have gone down that road with warranty issue once a long time ago in the past. Yes, they have to prove the item did cause the issue to deny it but what will happen is this. they will deny it if they feel like it and then make you get a lawyer to fight their lawyer(s) to win the case. In the end you'll shell out to ton of money that you may or may not get all of it back. They know this and why they don't care.

In the end, thinking about it more, I'll either just find a set of the Pirelli All Seasons or get 20" wheels and then all seasons for those.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 11:57 AM   #14
cgX54423
Registered
Rep
Drives: G05

I'm in the same situation. Did you end up getting the Pirelli's?
Appreciate 0