BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2021, 06:48 AM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_F31 View Post
Gun culture is big 'over here' and before I get deemed a "LIB"(look it up Euro friends) - my family owns a licensed firearm(s) however going on a Forum asking where the best place to 'keep' a handgun in a Luxury SUV is what makes it all so ridiculous to be American. And Yes I love the good old Red White & Blue.

So in short: Keep your gun at home Cowboy.
What type of license do you have/need for your firearms?
      01-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #24
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
As a European it's funny to read how "carrying or not carrying" gets to be a political topic or related to one.

For us all as humans it should just be a 'normal common sense' topic.
It also seems tha tthe discussion is extra interesting these days... My american friends tend to be a little more heavy on the subject as of recent
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #25
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
glove box
Can you lock the glovebox? I guess I could look but I’m lazy today!

The reason I even ask is, I met my girlfriend in a large park to walk our dogs, when we returned to our cars two hours later her MB GLS 450’s passenger window was smashed in and they riffled her console and glovebox (no she was not carrying a weapon). So if someone goes through the effort and risk to break into a car in a busy public park, they are going to check the glovebox!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #26
MB_F31
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
What type of license do you have/need for your firearms?
Clarification: purchased from a California licensed dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #27
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
As a European it's funny to read how "carrying or not carrying" gets to be a political topic or related to one.

Translation: "We don't live in a free country and have been mentally conditioned by our government and media into thinking that owning a gun is a bad thing"
Appreciate 1
Russ103308.00
      01-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #28
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:

Translation: "We don't live in a free country and have been mentally conditioned by our government and media into thinking that owning a gun is a bad thing"
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hilarious...

"I don't have a problem", said the alcoholic...
Appreciate 6
TSMC55126.50
smomin23311.00
JB M40i24.00
Koenig129.50
      01-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #29
ajdillon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Trying to solve this storage problem with my x7. Had any success yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #30
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Always funny, expected like clockwork whenever someone asks a legitimate question about carrying a firearm in their vehicle, the same people come out seizing every opportunity to spew their politics, their ever-increasing hate, and their bitterness.

OP: Your vehicle. Your rights. Several options for mounting a safe within your vehicle. Props to you for being responsible, and seeking wise options.
Appreciate 7
      02-01-2021, 01:45 AM   #31
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

I have the Vara Safety unit in my house. I wouldn't want to try and mount that in the car.

I ended up using the Vaultek LifePod for those situations when I need to leave the gun in the car. It tucks nicely next to the spare and I run the cable through the tie downs. Close the cover and it's mostly secure (nothing is foolproof) and out of sight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-01-2021, 06:43 AM   #32
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
I have the Vara Safety unit in my house. I wouldn't want to try and mount that in the car.

I ended up using the Vaultek LifePod for those situations when I need to leave the gun in the car. It tucks nicely next to the spare and I run the cable through the tie downs. Close the cover and it's mostly secure (nothing is foolproof) and out of sight.
Very nice.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #33
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Funny how being "progressive" and "tolerant" only applies when someone shares the same opinion as your own. As soon as a differing opinion is posted though.... it's mind-numbing to watch the hate, blame, finger-pointing, and shaming happen.

Hmmmm......

With that said, I don't think the driver's footwell is the best choice of locations. There is a possibility it could impede control over the accelerator..... or if placed back far enough, may impede seat operation.

While it may be a bit farther to reach for, I would place it in the same location, but in the passenger footwell. Primarily because "most" car thieves will peek into the driver's window to see if there's anything worth stealing. It's not 100% certain, of course, but speaking statistically, the chances are higher that it won't be seen.

Another option (if possible), would be to mount it inside the driver door pocket. That would conceal it much better. It would need to be secure though. The opening & closing of the door could potentially jostle it around over time.

The "best" choice of locations however, would be flat under the steering column. I'm not 100% sure that there is a secure (non-plastic) mounting point under there though. You may want to have a pro look at it and help you make a decision.
Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3682.50
Russ103308.00
FracGuy51.50
      02-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #34
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

Flat under the steering column works, but it's not secure. I keep a gun there as I don't like to carry cross draw. But when I park, I either take it with me or lock it up in my LifePod under the load flood, cabled to the car.

And before all the shamers jump in; live through a car jacking at gun point and then ask me why I have a gun under my steering wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Tenac4537.00
Stoshu494.00
Paladin15528.50
Russ103308.00
FracGuy51.50
BMWoody43.00
MikeM6148.00
      02-02-2021, 12:04 AM   #35
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
And before all the shamers jump in; live through a car jacking at gun point and then ask me why I have a gun under my steering wheel.
Did this happen in Arizona?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #36
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep

No, Los Angeles. Where only the bad guys have guns.

It's kinda stuck with me. So I take precautions. I'd love to live in a world where it's not necessary, but that's not been my reality.
Appreciate 1
RC_Hund61.00
      02-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, Los Angeles. Where only the bad guys have guns.

It's kinda stuck with me. So I take precautions. I'd love to live in a world where it's not necessary, but that's not been my reality.
Understood. I’m from Chicago but we’re actively house hunting in AZ.
I haven’t heard anything bad about Scottsdale crime besides rich kids looting but I know there are some areas to avoid around Phoenix.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #38
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Flat under the steering column works, but it's not secure. I keep a gun there as I don't like to carry cross draw. But when I park, I either take it with me or lock it up in my LifePod under the load flood, cabled to the car.

I guess my question to this would be, if car jacked again, I'm assuming you would pull your gun. Is the car worth potentially dying over? Cars can be replaced - you are one of a kind.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #39
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I guess my question to this would be, if car jacked again, I'm assuming you would pull your gun. Is the car worth potentially dying over? Cars can be replaced - you are one of a kind.
There are many car jackings that end in the car owner being shot and killed even when there's no resistance. At least he's giving himself a chance.
Unfortunately here in Chicago and im sure in other areas there are groups of teens that carjack people for fun. They take the car for a joyride until they see another victim and then steal their car. Carjackings are up 283% this January over last in Chicago.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4537.00
      02-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #40
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

Been in La for over 30 years, and also a victim of carjacking at gunpoint, with a nice whip to the face. It was the early 90s where it was a thing here for a while.

It's not a thing now as cars are so tech - I'd let them have it and then just let law enforcement shut it down remotely with BMW.

The way things are these days, I'd get sued for hurting the person trying to steal from me. lol

Growing up in Tx, it was tought to us early, that "if you shoot someone in your house and they fall out the window, drag them back in just to CYA." Doesn't really apply to cars. lol

Funny, not funny.

On another note - what I REALLY want is the X5 Protection. Seriously. But trying to get a qote on one is almost impossible.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #41
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_F31 View Post
Gun culture is big 'over here' and before I get deemed a "LIB"(look it up Euro friends) - my family owns a licensed firearm(s) however going on a Forum asking where the best place to 'keep' a handgun in a Luxury SUV is what makes it all so ridiculous to be American. And Yes I love the good old Red White & Blue.

So in short: Keep your gun at home Cowboy.
I love how the gated community crowd is posted on their supposed moral high ground with worthless advice at the ready. What boring ass suburb are you located in? Has your life ever been in real jeopardy? Are you one of those blithering idiots that believe only the police should be armed and that they will magically appear in seconds when you dial 911?

Props to the OP for doing his/her best to be a responsible gun owner. I would suggest a gun magnet ( https://shootingmystery.com/best-gun-magnet/ ) mounted to the seat rail for quick access when driving and then storing in a locked case under the rear floor when needed like a previous poster suggested. You wouldn't want to be fumbling with a
biometric reader, push button, or lock and key in an emergency, trust me.

For the record I live in the heart of Chicago (not Schaumburg, Naperville, or outlying suburbs) and there has been about a 200% increase in armed car jackings where several drivers have been wounded or killed EVEN AFTER COMPLYING with the scumbag armed robbers. ( https://wgntv.com/news/more-carjacki...-tackle-crime/ ) As a licensed concealed carry holder, I keep a loaded pistol at the ready in my door bin while driving and locked in the trunk when necessary.

Furthermore, I would encourage all you keyboard warriors with your tiny balls stored neatly in your wife's handbag to leave your comfort bubble for a day and visit a violent city near you to get a small dose of reality before passing senseless judgement on a responsible firearm owner.
Wild Blue3682.50
Russ103308.00
FracGuy51.50
MikeM6148.00
      02-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #42
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Yeah I no longer live in the city and cant wait to be another 1600 miles away. No way I would raise my kids anywhere near that toilet. Chicago is on its way to being the next Detroit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #43
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Yeah I no longer live in the city and cant wait to be another 1600 miles away. No way I would raise my kids anywhere near that toilet. Chicago is on its way to being the next Detroit.
I grew up in Chicago on the NW side (might as well been the suburbs at the time), I love the city but the politics have gone off the rails, still 80% of the city is great, then there’s the 20% on the south and west side. Overall I still love to visit but glad I don’t live there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #44
Drewquant
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgossman View Post
I've never had a permanently mounted gun safe in a car because they're all too bulky, more suited to a big pickup truck or something. I also don't want to sacrifice space in the center console in my 2021 X5.

What have you X5 and pistol owners used?

Then this item popped up as a Facebook ad, it looks intriguing:

https://varasafety.com

Evidently this is their second generation, quicker response to fingerprint. What intrigues me is what appears to be the small size. I don't suppose anyone has installed this in their car? Or something similar? There's a broad expanse of carpeted real estate on the left side of the center console where your right knee is. What's under there in case I need to screw a mount in there? See photo.

This company provides a seat mount kit, one option being to attach it to a seat bolt. See photo, it's not obvious if there's a bolt there, or how to access it, anyone know? I can see it would be a problem using the seat bolt mount option because moving the seat forward would interfere with it. I always have my seat all the way back, but another driver could cause trouble there.

A broad piece of Velcro might attach securely enough to that carpeted area, but not sure if there's a mount option to allow that.

Anyone else found a pleasing solution to this issue? I currently use a Gun Vault on the floorboard, you can see it in the photo. Having it unlocked is not an option, and having it locked in a way that makes it impossible to have ready quickly is not an option.
Here in atlanta guns are everywhere and stolen from cars is super common. I wish I felt like there was a great option for a proper safe in my X5 too. Not really sold on any of the options I read about here sadly
Appreciate 0