natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeem View Post
Check your sundoof drains... they tend to clog although your car is new, so not sure how...

Mine CPO 2014 F15 clogged just recently on the front passenger side and it leaked a bit from overhead pillar.

Even though I have CPO warranty, extended maintenance package - stealership wanted $1,315$+tax just to clean the drains and replace front passenger vapor barier - I declined and did it in local indy shop... VB was fine and did not need to be replaced.

Sunroof seal does not completely stop the water from getting in, look for two small holes on each side right in the corners - you will see them.
There are 4 drains - 2 front and 2 back, back ones come out of top of tailgate when you open it you will see.
I have this issue with my Highlander. We have to blow out the drains regularly. Took me WEEKS last summer of soaking the car in bleach and keeping doors open in the sun to dry it out.

Hasn’t happened in my X5, but I just got it in June and don’t open the moonroof very often in hot weather. I think if you open and close it frequently you have a higher risk of stuff getting stuck in there and clogging the drains.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #46
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjakridgeii View Post
My car was leaking through the passenger side microphone this morning. My car delivered in November last year.

Those that have had this replaced or fixed, how was the repair?
I got my car back after about 7 days at the dealer. It was a big job they said. The parts replaced were 54-10-9-448-561 Frame Panoramic Roof which seems to be the entire metal frame/tracks that the glass panels sit in. Its marked 1 in the attached picture. Also changed were various screws, seals and clips. They water tested and said all good. It has not rained hard yet since then for me to verify.

They also removed all carpeting to dry out. Did not change headliner or drivers side microphone though. Some smell of solvent/glue in the car the first 2-3 days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      10-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #47
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjakridgeii View Post
My car was leaking through the passenger side microphone this morning. My car delivered in November last year.

Those that have had this replaced or fixed, how was the repair?
I got my car back after about 7 days at the dealer. It was a big job they said. The parts replaced were 54-10-9-448-561 Frame Panoramic Roof which seems to be the entire metal frame/tracks that the glass panels sit in. Its marked 1 in the attached picture. Also changed were various screws, seals and clips. They water tested and said all good. It has not rained hard yet since then for me to verify.

They also removed all carpeting to dry out. Did not change headliner or drivers side microphone though. Some smell of solvent/glue in the car the first 2-3 days.
Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #48
Chiro1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 1999 BMW Z3

2019 bmw x5 sunroof leak

Just had the same issue as denniss! Left my car out in the rain for the first time and after 3 hours when I came out it had 3 inches of water pooling in the passenger footwell! It looked like the water came in from the sunroof and ran down the door pillar and into the car from behind the glove box side of the dashboard. I'm concerned because we bought the car with 4K miles on it as it was one of the dealer loaner cars so I'm guessing water has gotten in before this as well. We were planning on bring it in anyway because the A/C was not working prior to this. I have a feeling the reason the A/C is not working may be due to water damage!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #49
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post

How did you car do after the repair? Mine, a 2021, just did this the other day for the first time. It's been in heavy rain before and never had a problem. The other day it was only a misty drizzle for a short while and I was shocked to have water dripping on me from the microphone area and the headliner was wet. This can't be good. I dread the thought of the dealer taking it apart as things never seem to go back together the same (based on other cars I've had). This is pretty upsetting as we paid almost 100K for it.
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #50
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
How did you car do after the repair? Mine, a 2021, just did this the other day for the first time. It's been in heavy rain before and never had a problem. The other day it was only a misty drizzle for a short while and I was shocked to have water dripping on me from the microphone area and the headliner was wet. This can't be good. I dread the thought of the dealer taking it apart as things never seem to go back together the same (based on other cars I've had). This is pretty upsetting as we paid almost 100K for it.
Haven't had any leaks at all since the cassette replacement. Just had to deal with solvent smell for a few weeks - not sure whether from cassette/headliner or the carpets they removed and replaced. They replaced some roof electronics as well but I have had no issues since with mold or any electronic gremlins indicative of corrosion. No squeaks or rattles either - its been flawless since the repair as far as this area is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #51
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

take it back!
I can deal with a mechanical deficiency on a new car, if your planning on keeping it water leaking is like a tumor, it's usually the first stage towards rust cancer.
Appreciate 1
mopaman34.00
      01-11-2022, 04:15 PM   #52
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I get to join this fun club. 2021 X5 - no garage parking, has been through plenty of rain. Saturday the passenger says "hey somethings dripping on me". My photo looks identical to the previous ones. No loaners available at Houston Advantage Midtown. BMW North America won't pay for a rental car and have been extremely rude and unhelpful. No rain in forecast until Saturday....

I'm waiting to hear back from the service center on a loaner vehicle becoming available. I'm really disappointed in this vehicle and the response from BMW NA. This is the 2nd mechanical defect. The first one left me stranded on the side of the road. I expect better from BMW - both in quality of their product and in the support provided to customers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #53
ToddMac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

I had this happen on my 21 and it was a bent drainage tube. A quick fix and I haven't noticed any leaks since them (6 months).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:51 PM   #54
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

I have a MY22, I don't believe BMW is still having issues with these sunroof leaks. I scheduled an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

6.5 month old car, always parked in a garage. Huge downpour today, parked outside for 3 hours and I came back to a puddle on the passenger seat.

Name:  IMG_8823.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  273.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #55
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeem View Post
Check your sundoof drains... they tend to clog although your car is new, so not sure how...

Mine CPO 2014 F15 clogged just recently on the front passenger side and it leaked a bit from overhead pillar.

Even though I have CPO warranty, extended maintenance package - stealership wanted $1,315$+tax just to clean the drains and replace front passenger vapor barier - I declined and did it in local indy shop... VB was fine and did not need to be replaced.

Sunroof seal does not completely stop the water from getting in, look for two small holes on each side right in the corners - you will see them.
There are 4 drains - 2 front and 2 back, back ones come out of top of tailgate when you open it you will see.
How could the dealer possibly deny warranty coverage here? Unless you damaged the vehicle to cause the leak this should be 100% a bmw paid for repair job imo. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #56
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
I have a MY22, I don't CAN'T believe BMW is still having issues with these sunroof leaks. I scheduled an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

6.5 month old car, always parked in a garage. Huge downpour today, parked outside for 3 hours and I came back to a puddle on the passenger seat.

Attachment 2882218
FIFY . Was once a frequently reported problem with the drainage tubes in the sunroof a few years back....
Appreciate 1
mmm50i373.50
      05-13-2022, 05:08 PM   #57
mmm50i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
FIFY . Was once a frequently reported problem with the drainage tubes in the sunroof a few years back....
Lol thanks. I also asked them to look into the front cigarette adapter not working with my tire inflator. Apparently, BMW Canada doesn’t have a bulletin to change it out. I know BMW NA does it under warranty
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      05-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #58
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

My22 for me. Purchased in Nov 21. Been to dealer twice for this. First time was passenger microphone. Second time it was coming out of overhead center panel. I can't believe they haven't tried to fix this for the last couple years.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #59
mmm50i
Captain
Rep

BMW kept my car for 5 days, they said they could not replicate a leak. No parts were replaced.

I'm a bit disappointed in this outcome and it has me worried about potential future leaks when it rains or snows.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:13 AM   #60
mmm50i
Captain
Rep

My car is leaking again, however, the leak appears to have changed locations. Water is no longer dripping from the passenger side microphone area, but now the entire passenger side A pillar trim is wet. I didn't realize the entire A pillar was wet until I stopped recording the second video.

I made these videos documenting the leak, will be providing them to BMW:

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #61
mmm50i
Captain
Rep

Update for future cases of such leaks.

The water leak is occurring at the seam of the sunroof tray. A new tray has been ordered and will be installed when it arrives.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      05-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #62
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Update for future cases of such leaks.

The water leak is occurring at the seam of the sunroof tray. A new tray has been ordered and will be installed when it arrives.
I wonder if this leak and the fact that there was moisture in the headliner could cause other issues at some point in the future, or is BMW replacing everything that water came in contact with?

I wonder if the service techs are able to remediate that moisture 100%. Am I just paranoid?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #63
mmm50i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
I wonder if this leak and the fact that there was moisture in the headliner could cause other issues at some point in the future, or is BMW replacing everything that water came in contact with?

I wonder if the service techs are able to remediate that moisture 100%. Am I just paranoid?
Thanks for raising these concerns. I've just left a message for my service advisor and asked if the tech can check and confirm no additional damages to the headliner, A pillar trim, the microphone, airbag unit, and any other electrical components behind the trim.

I know everything is covered by warranty, but I rather them fix everything properly now, so I don't run into future issues.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #64
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post

Thanks for raising these concerns. I've just left a message for my service advisor and asked if the tech can check and confirm no additional damages to the headliner, A pillar trim, the microphone, airbag unit, and any other electrical components behind the trim.

I know everything is covered by warranty, but I rather them fix everything properly now, so I don't run into future issues.
I'd love to hear the outcome of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 03:05 PM   #65
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

There's a couple of SIBs on this issue. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...06684-9999.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...05090-9999.pdf
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #66
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Brief downpour yesterday and this was the result. Anyone have a 100% success getting this repaired. This will be the third time to the dealer for this issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1