BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Lights question

In all my past cars, lights would eventually would turn off or send me a message that I left the lights on etc. I left the parking lights on today, and I got a message from my neighbor my lights were on.

I realize they are parking lights that are meant to stay on, but I thought I'd at least get a message through connected drive app to remind me if they were left on for over X amount of time. I suppose they are super low voltage LED lights can stay on forever?

Also what's the difference between DRL and parking lights, do DRL keep the tail lights on as well? During driving I sometimes can turn off my lights, sometimes cannot, sometimes it allows me to drop down to parking lights, sometimes it wont (maybe light sensor assumes it's night and I can't turn them off?)
      01-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

DRLs turn your headlights on at low output - or in our case the angel eyes. The parking lights are the amber lights on either side of the headlights that turn on. Their purpose is to light the left or right side (or both) of the car while you're parked. That way if you're parked in a narrow, dark alley, an oncoming car will be able to see there's a car parked there.

What's probably happening here is the AUTO lights function is over righting what you want to do. So if it's dark outside, you can't turn off the lights if the engine is running - I don't know this for a fact, I'm just speculating.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The full headlights won't stay on beyond the walk-away timer you may have set, but the parking lights will. There was a software update recently to adapt to an European rule about one-sided parking light activation...that has been discontinued and is no longer legal. It might still be available in your vehicle, depending on the software version. There are two buttons on the switch control panel, a P with light beams pointing either left or right. Before the update, that would illuminate either the left or right-hand parking lights. TOday, I don't know what, if anything it does after the update. The manual warns not to leave the parking lights on for extended periods of time as it can drain the battery.

FWIW, I can't really think of a good reason to use the parking lights while driving, and only while parked for maybe a few hours or so. IMHO, if you need lights, you need lights, and parking ones are called parking, not driving lights for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

FWIW, I can't really think of a good reason to use the parking lights while driving, and only while parked for maybe a few hours or so. IMHO, if you need lights, you need lights, and parking ones are called parking, not driving lights for a reason.
Do our X5's in the USA have DRL rear lights? I thought it didn't so turning on parking lights would give you DRL on the back.
      01-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Do our X5's in the USA have DRL rear lights? I thought it didn't so turning on parking lights would give you DRL on the back.
Yes they do. In the past there was an option in iDrive to turn on/off the DRLs and that controlled front and rear. From reports a recent update has now changed to options options to control front and rear separately.
      01-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Yes they do. In the past there was an option in iDrive to turn on/off the DRLs and that controlled front and rear. From reports a recent update has now changed to options options to control front and rear separately.

I'll look into this, thanks. I always thought I had to turn on parking lights to keep the rears on because I've seen Audis and BMWs driving on highway did not have tails illuminated during cloudy days, just not cloudy enough to activate headlights.
      01-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I'll look into this, thanks. I always thought I had to turn on parking lights to keep the rears on because I've seen Audis and BMWs driving on highway did not have tails illuminated during cloudy days, just not cloudy enough to activate headlights.
I have never looked to see if they were actually on but many posts about them being on and how to turn them off so I assume they are for all MYs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

IMHO, if you need lights, you need lights, so relying on parking lights while driving, which might have been valid decades ago, isn't valid any more. There's at least a few places where you must have your lights while using your wipers, and it's not a bad idea to just put them on if the lighting conditions are marginal.

What I'm somewhat annoyed with is that the US doesn't require rear fog lights, which I think when the visibility is bad, are more important as it gives people a better idea that you are there...but, I also object to people leaving them on when they are not required, especially when stopped in traffic! Guess I'm just hard to please!?

I understand that in the UK, it's considered bad form to actually sit at a light with your foot on the brakes (you should use the parking brake), as it puts a significant glare on the person behind, and they generally have (at least on BMW and some other brands) additional lights that come on during a high-g stop to alert the person behind. The US has some regulations about flashing red lights...I don't personally feel a vehicle in a high-g stop will be confused as an emergency vehicle, but one in a possible emergency situation...
Appreciate 0