01-14-2021, 10:43 PM   #4511
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Laphroaig quarter cask is another great Islay for the price, and I'd second the recc for the Ardbeg 10yo. If you want to move upmarket some, also check out Bruichladdich peated versions (Port Charlotte is my current fav), Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Lagavulin 8 or 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
The normal Ten year is a good next step, similar flavor profile and just a little smoother. Once you start going to other Islay distilleries you can get wildly different flavor profiles.
Picked up some of the 10 year Ardbeg. Haven't tried it yet but we'll see. Also picked up some gin... never in my life have I been a gin drinker, but I'm kinda digging it. Would be nice in the summer when it's hot at hell. Don't know anything about gin but picked up some Bombay and Hendricks just to mix it up. I think I like the Hendricks a little bit more, but I like the Bombay also. Maybe save the Hendricks for the simpler drinks.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      01-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #4512
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

The absolute best Vodka on earth! I've tried just about every ultra premium Vodka there is and none can compare to this one right here. If you can find it...

01-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #4513
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
The absolute best Vodka on earth! I've tried just about every ultra premium Vodka there is and none can compare to this one right here. If you can find it...

I've have had a lot of Vodka's in my life and there is a massive point of diminishing returns unlike scotch or say tequila.

This is why the high end Vodka market is effectively dead... it's the worst category of alcohol to sell in. But that aside by defaut I would recommend Polish Vodkas just based on tradition over French.

Very rare and unknown - Snow Leopard Vodka - 6 times distilled in Poland and only like $29.99 per 750ML... it doesn't get better but is very hard to find. There is little to no aging in Vodka so while I am sure that Vodka is terrific, I can assure you I can find something awfully close up to $30...

Also, if anyone ever says Tito's / Grey Goose are good vodkas, you should pretty much get banned from posting on this forum lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #4514
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I've have had a lot of Vodka's in my life and there is a massive point of diminishing returns unlike scotch or say tequila.

This is why the high end Vodka market is effectively dead... it's the worst category of alcohol to sell in. But that aside by defaut I would recommend Polish Vodkas just based on tradition over French.

Very rare and unknown - Snow Leopard Vodka - 6 times distilled in Poland and only like $29.99 per 750ML... it doesn't get better but is very hard to find. There is little to no aging in Vodka so while I am sure that Vodka is terrific, I can assure you I can find something awfully close up to $30...

Also, if anyone ever says Tito's / Grey Goose are good vodkas, you should pretty much get banned from posting on this forum lol.
I hear you and to some degree, I can agree. The sheer nature of Vodka puts it at a disadvantage to my favorite spirit: Rum. But Cognac, Scotch and even Whiskey have more character, aging, flavor profile, etc.
That being said, yes, Vodka is generally a play it safe mixer type of alcohol for me. One that I don't associate with sipping. The exception being this and my second favorite, ZYR. But no, you won't find ANY Vodka close the sheer smoothness and unique flavor of this XO. That I am confident of.

Quote:
It uses four French wheat grains, selected for their specific flavors. Each wheat grain is separated from its chaff before distillation in order to eliminate any bitterness and to reveal the wheat’s individual flavor. Spring water, filtered through Grande Champagne limestone, is added. Jean-Marc XO Vodka is distilled nine times in very small batches using traditional copper alambic stills. Then Jean-Marc XO is micro-oxygenated (a Bordeaux technique) and filtered through Limousin oak charcoal to finish. Very unusually, the entire process takes several weeks from start to finish. Each bottle is individually numbered to reflect its handmade artisanship.

The Jean-Marc XO has performed reasonably well at spirit ratings competitions. It was awarded 97 points by the US Beverage Testing Institute in 2007 [1] (one of only two vodkas to get this score), and is the only vodka ever honored by the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences (2005). Wine Enthusiast was significantly less impressed with Jean-Marc XO, however, giving the vodka a rating of 85-89 in 2005.[2]

Jean-Marc XO Vodka was listed in a book of "101 Things to Buy Before you Die" (published late 2006), alongside other cultural icons such as Cartier watches and Aston Martin DB5's: a shorter list of 50 Things, including Jean-Marc XO Vodka, was compiled for the Daily Mail.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marc_XO_Vodka

https://www.crownwineandspirits.com/...o-vodka-750ml/

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-15-2021 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      01-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #4515
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
A sip on the way to the hot tub and one on the way back...

The Islay Mist is my DD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bobowar1353479.00
      01-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #4516
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Macallan Rare Cask
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      01-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #4517
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:

Not much of a vodka connoisseur more of a bourbon fan. However i’ve always bought Ketel One as a decent vodka to have. I’ve heard it’s top shelf but never been interested enough to compare
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      01-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #4518
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Macallan Rare Cask
I almost picked up a bottle of that a month ago - let me know what your thoughts are!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:43 AM   #4519
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:

Very much agreed. Given the option to try an expensive vodka or other type of liquor, I'd definitely go with 'other' even though I do like vodka.

Looks like Snow Leopard is available here. I'll pick up a bottle next time I accidentally find myself at Total Wine...

I don't get the "hype" over Tito's, Grey Goose et al. either. Especially Grey Goose...
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      01-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #4520
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Not much of a vodka connoisseur more of a bourbon fan. However i’ve always bought Ketel One as a decent vodka to have. I’ve heard it’s top shelf but never been interested enough to compare
Ketel one is VERY good and can be had for $19.99 at Total wine...

However I would not call it a premium vodka and for just a few bucks more; I could find something far better. If one is into just mixing drinks... Ketel is almost too good lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #4521
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

It's cool. Sleep on this amazing spirit I tried to share.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #4522
jas2727570
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Whiskey

Can never go wrong with Blantons, if you can find it. Where I am in Ohio it seems near impossible to find. Although I have a colleague that travels to Connecticut frequently and it seems to be given out like candy there?

If I can't get ahold of Blantons i've been into Angels Envy Finished Rye
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #4523
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas2727570 View Post
Can never go wrong with Blantons, if you can find it. Where I am in Ohio it seems near impossible to find. Although I have a colleague that travels to Connecticut frequently and it seems to be given out like candy there?

If I can't get ahold of Blantons i've been into Angels Envy Finished Rye
I remember I could always find this at the local Total Wine. Not anymore. I guess it became hip at some point and now you can't buy it anymore. Oh well, I'm certainly not wasting my time hunting it down or paying crazy prices for it, especially considering all the other great bourbons that are easily available.

Woodford is still my go to bourbon. I've tried others but I always end up liking Woodford better and the price is decent also.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #4524
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:

However I would not call it a premium vodka and for just a few bucks more; I could find something far better. If one is into just mixing drinks... Ketel is almost too good lol.
Vodka is meant to be a smooth mixer. With juice Ciroc is just the smoothest. For cocktails I prefer stoli elite.

I will say, “hype” about Tito’s or GG I have not heard, but they don’t suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #4525
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I remember I could always find this at the local Total Wine. Not anymore. I guess it became hip at some point and now you can't buy it anymore. Oh well, I'm certainly not wasting my time hunting it down or paying crazy prices for it, especially considering all the other great bourbons that are easily available.

Woodford is still my go to bourbon. I've tried others but I always end up liking Woodford better and the price is decent also.
I like blantons but i’m not gonna pay ridiculous prices for it.

Woodford is okay but imo it is way overhyped and overpriced for what it is. I’ve had way better in the same and lower pricepoints. I’ll pick up 1792 or buffalo trace all day before i buy another bottle of woodford
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #4526
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
I like blantons but i’m not gonna pay ridiculous prices for it.

Woodford is okay but imo it is way overhyped and overpriced for what it is. I’ve had way better in the same and lower pricepoints. I’ll pick up 1792 or buffalo trace all day before i buy another bottle of woodford
I never see buffalo trace at my local total wine, dunno if they sell out or they just don't carry it. Never tried 1792 so may have to give that a shot although it seems to be the same price as woodford.

I have been on a bourbon break though, been drinking mainly scotch and gin lately.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #4527
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I never see buffalo trace at my local total wine, dunno if they sell out or they just don't carry it. Never tried 1792 so may have to give that a shot although it seems to be the same price as woodford.

I have been on a bourbon break though, been drinking mainly scotch and gin lately.
I’ve been having trouble finding buffalo trace lately as well but i still have a bottle so it’s no worries.

Yes 1792 is the same price as woodford but my opinion is its much better taste and far smoother at roughly the same proof
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #4528
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

If you want a fun read, look up the truth on Tito’s.
Appreciate 1
dinonz3214.00
      01-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #4529
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Quote:

Vodka is meant to be a smooth mixer. With juice Ciroc is just the smoothest. For cocktails I prefer stoli elite.

I will say, "hype" about Tito's or GG I have not heard, but they don't suck.
if you're into simply mixing... then bullshit like titos is good enough... if u want flavor and drink shots, or rather i should say want vodka w 0 flavor and after taste (which is the biggest compliment of vodka), then get something more premium
      01-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #4530
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For my vodka it is Stoli - but more for tradition; don't think I've tried even a handful of others (aside from 'well drink nights' that are best forgotten). Even if it isn't traditionally aged, you will benefit from getting one that is at least a year or two old, to let the nasties filter out some. Once I graduated from HS and didn't need to hide that I was drinking, vodka lost a lot of its appeal
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #4531
ASAP
Major General
Rep

So not usually a Patron fan at all as it is one of the most produced overpriced tequilas out there; however, I decided to give this a shot-

It's one of the cheapest Extra Anejos out there-

I must say its phenomenal... $89.99 at Total Wine... sharp taste, very reminiscent of Codigo 1530, definitely notes of whiskey barrel aging in it...

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #4532
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
if you're into simply mixing... then bullshit like titos is good enough... if u want flavor and drink shots, or rather i should say want vodka w 0 flavor and after taste (which is the biggest compliment of vodka), then get something more premium
I never thought much of vodka, or at least with spending much time looking for a great one. With the goal for the best to taste like nothing, seems kind of pointless. I drink it sometimes but mid priced mixed with something. At least it doesn't cost much. Did a blind tasting at my house recently, Tito's, Ketel One, and Costco. If the goal is to not taste like anything I thought Costco won, I thought Ketel One had the best taste and Tito's was last either way. Just my opinion. Now mostly buy the Costco 1.75.