BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
xvm_45e
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

L1 charger - random faults

My L1 charger (the default one provided with the 45e) throws at random intervals a fault message. When I plug it in (not yet connected to the car) the red light indicating a fault starts blinking in a pattern of 3 blinks, short pause, 3 blinks, etc... Eventually, after plugging out and back in x number of times status returns to green and I can charge my car. I have not been able to detect a pattern up until now, sometimes this happens and sometimes everything works fine.

Anyone encountered this already?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvm_45e View Post
My L1 charger (the default one provided with the 45e) throws at random intervals a fault message. When I plug it in (not yet connected to the car) the red light indicating a fault starts blinking in a pattern of 3 blinks, short pause, 3 blinks, etc... Eventually, after plugging out and back in x number of times status returns to green and I can charge my car. I have not been able to detect a pattern up until now, sometimes this happens and sometimes everything works fine.

Anyone encountered this already?
No I have had a 40e for two years and a 45e for one year. Never saw it.

I have plugged it in at home at my parents and in-laws and at holiday locations.

What I had at my in-laws is that the electric system jumped when charging at 10A. So when I am not at home I put it on 6A max unless I trust the system.

I think your charger might be defect? Maybe ask for a new one. Unless you have it plugged in on a really old electric system.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
xvm_45e
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I think your charger might be defect? Maybe ask for a new one. Unless you have it plugged in on a really old electric system.
Don't know, that's the problem 😕. Sometimes everything works fine, sometimes it doesn't. The annoying thing is that it's unpredictable, and as an IT guy I hate random patterns 😁... My house was constructed 20 years ago, and the specific circuit I use to charge the car was added about 8 years ago. So age of the electrical system probably isn't the issue. And if it would be, that still would not explain the apparent random behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

My guess is that the socket you're plugging it into has a defect, either a loose connection or maybe ground connection. If it goes in easily, replace it, but take a close look at the connections regardless.

Have you tried plugging it into a different receptacle?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
xvm_45e
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Have you tried plugging it into a different receptacle?
Yes, but same issue. Plugged/unplugged it a number of times in 2 different outlets, same fault message until all of a sudden (I think after about 6 tries) status returned to green.

Guess I'll drop a mail to my dealer to see if they are aware of similar issues.
Appreciate 0