Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 11:27 PM   #157
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Exciting new EV SAV vehicle, but...

The exterior design is totally underwhelming, it looks like a hunk of plastic. BMW exterior design department could've and needed to do better on this one!

Incredibly weak exterior design. Disappointing, a complete missed opportunity!
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25062.00
J-RO2092.00
      12-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #158
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
I had so much hopes for this to be a true SUV. So difficult to get behind the mini-van MPV look.
Nothing bold and unusual that's for sure
I can't see who's the target demographic. Feels like a vehicle for older 60+ demographics.
Makes sense considering how our vision degrades as we get older.
      12-10-2020, 11:49 PM   #159
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Hmm i think this is gonna sell quite well when it arrives among the SUV people who use their cars to get from A to B only witch is 90% of the car buying population.

So yeah this will probably sell quite well it just has to keep the German quality and it will be a no brainier for many. And also probably depends on the price if it is around 85 000€ before adding any equipment, then it will probably be harder to sell.

None the less the specs of the car in it self is quite okay the range is more then enough for most of those current SUV drivers who pretty much uses the car to Home ---> Drop of kids ---> Work ----> Store ---> Pick up kids ---> Home

I don't see many X drivers taking their cars of road so this will fill that segment anyway. I have seen so many people and know some of them who drives cars like X5, X6 and such asked some of them, have you ever taken the car of road? Or how long is your daily trip and most of those users are driving the X30ds and in some cases X40ds one of them has the M version of it. Only one of them is a "regular" driver of long range driving witch is about 350/380 km 2-3 times a year on most high way driving. And none of them has taken the car of road.So i asked them a follow up questions, why do you get a SUV then? Why not a regular estate witch fills the gap perfectly for their every day use.

The answers i compiled was in short.

1. I like to sit high up of the road. For me that's a fair point you do sit quite high up and you see a lot of the road so that's a feature a lot of SUV drivers seems to like.

2. Comfort is better then regular cars. This one was a harder to sell for me a lot of cars are more comfortable then SUVs in some cases. But everyone has their opinion of comfort of a car and what not.

3. They look better then regular cars, again subjective topic i my self find SUV harder to like then regular cars but that's my taste only and doesn't represent everyone.

4. I have it cause the roads are so bad in town.

This one was a bit of a silly one this statement was from the M driver so if that says anything i don't know but the argument is flawed, the roads in my town where we both live they are good some places have potholes but usually fixable within in 1-2 weeks after they pop up. But we do have a lot of speed bumps in our town so if you want to be able to sail over them i guess then a SUV is the way to go but also this specific driver has lowered their SUV so it can't be that either. So this was by far the weakest argument of them all. And to that the heavier the car the more toll it takes on the road you are driving especially here in Sweden during winter this driver also has the winter tire set up with dubs/spikes in the tire for those days when we have icy conditions on the road. Witch so far has been not even one day so far. Seems like winter is gonna skip us this year where i live 5+c with rain all the time as of now.

In this case it was more i wanted a M SUV i got an M SUV even if i have no real "need" of it. But then again this is also a good reason in it all we do live in a free market and you are allowed to buy anything you want its your hard owned money. Just own up to it.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:17 AM   #160
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
With these new photos I can't tell if this is an SUV or minivan. Nissan Pathfinder proportions come to mind.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2020, 02:27 AM   #161
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Have you seen Asian cars recently? It's more accurate to say this look is becoming very Bavarian.

I mean that if u take out the roundel and flip a KIA badge i would believe its an Asian car. IMO That would have been impossible 10 years ago.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 03:21 AM   #162
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
Quote:
Have you seen Asian cars recently? It's more accurate to say this look is becoming very Bavarian.

I mean that if u take out the roundel and flip a KIA badge i would believe its an Asian car. IMO That would have been impossible 10 years ago.
I'd go further. Some of the Kia's look better. They've incorporated euro designers and taken them further. Modern Bavarian design is lacking inherent beauty and will age badly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
DCG781.50
KRS_SN13380.50
KoenG1426.50
      12-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #163
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd go further. Some of the Kia's look better. They've incorporated euro designers and taken them further. Modern Bavarian design is lacking inherent beauty and will age badly.
Unfortunately the time has come.

Can someone on this forum please start a Petition to remove/fire Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group's Design Director!
Appreciate 2
J-RO2092.00
KoenG1426.50
      12-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #164
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I resemble that remark.
I'm probably in the intended demographic. Owned many BMW's. Can afford it. Can make a case for it. Had an X5 40e for two years. Liked everything about it except the non-compliant ride over the many heaves and potholes in Houston city streets. It was like all of the SUV's I've driven lately-seemingly a stiff suspension to accommodate load carrying capacity. So, if it's being aimed at the M-B R-class segment, it might be perfect for me. Qualifiers:
1. First and foremost the Grill. I'll have to see it in the metal, but at the moment I think it looks like a cartoon.
2. Size. I decided that the X5 was just a scrump too large for my principal use as a grocery-getter. It was great for highway excursions, but I don't see too many of those in the near future and I did my off-road excursions in an 80-series Toyota Land Cruiser crossing the Australian deserts over five years. This will wait for an on-road trial.
3. Cost. I could buy whatever I want, but at my age, reason has triumphed over emotion so there has to be some kind of logic behind a purchase. My ideal mix is a highway-cruiser sedan (currently a fully-loaded 530e) and an SUV-like grocery-getter. I like the higher seating position, ability to support the occasional large box and open rear allowing the A/C to keep the temps down on the grocery bags in Houston weather, as compared to a trunk.

I want to trade my second car (a stripper 2020 530e whose current value is more than my total cost a year ago) for a full EV compact SUV-type. Current contenders are the Volvo XC40 Recharge and the VW ID.4. I won't consider a Tesla Model Y until they are being produced from the TX plant because of the expected improvements in manufacturing quality, and probably not even then if Tesla's continue to be harassed by the "rolling coal crowd". By far and away, the VW ID.4 is the value leader. The only thing that could temper that is the greater bulk of the iX. Since most auto accidents occur within 10 miles of home, the added safety of the larger iX is appealing. The heavier vehicle always wins the crash contest and Houston is full of full-size pickups. So, I'll be looking forward to driving the iX and learning it's specs and price before I pull the pin. After three test drives of the Audi eTron, I found it's ride to be just a little too SUV-like, despite it's air suspension. If the iX comes in at $80K with a desirable spec, I will have a hard time dealing with my rational brain. On the other hand, a good lease deal could have me on board, if I can get past the "Grill".
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6154.50
      12-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #165
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Have they got a picture of the underneath? I want to check it's horrendous from every angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #166
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post

Can someone on this forum please start a Petition to remove/fire Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group's Design Director!
I will sign but the stink goes higher. Persons above him had to agree to the designs and allow his rot to settle in.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #167
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
Have they got a picture of the underneath? I want to check it's horrendous from every angle.
Should be pretty flat as it is a skateboard design.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #168
sharocks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Normal Kidney Grill'd BMWs

It's way better than the i3.

That unfortunately means nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #169
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

That front! YIKES!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #170
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

That really isn't nice at all.

I think BMW is trying to be all things to all men, but I fail to see anyone finding that thing attractive. Think Hyundai E Niro. The sort of car that non-car people buy.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #171
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
I had so much hopes for this to be a true SUV. So difficult to get behind the mini-van MPV look.
Nothing bold and unusual that's for sure
I can't see who's the target demographic. Feels like a vehicle for older 60+ demographics.
Yeah. Boomers

:
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #172
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post

I will sign but the stink goes higher. Persons above him had to agree to the designs and allow his rot to settle in.
I agree, it's not just one person. Yet Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group's current Design Director needs to take the brunt of the ongoing criticism. It's definitely the higher ups/suits 👔 that clearly don't have a clue about quality Bavarian Exterior Design.

But as we all know the fish 🐟 rots from the head.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #173
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Love it. Had an iX3 on pre-order, cancelled that, and have today pre-ordered the iX. The iX3 is just not special enough for me as well as being made in China, two-wheel drive, and underpowered.

Put £500 down with no indication of likely final price, but I specced my prior i3S and i8 with every option except dreaded e-sound so I don't think I'll see much change out of £100K.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:55 PM   #174
CMSwift
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80, E90

Okay the iX looks very nicee
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:55 PM   #175
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention, Kia also has Albert Biermann. No wonder they have been killing it with their newest lineup.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25062.00
ted99242.00
      12-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #176
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Yeah man, asking people who want a G80 on a G80 forum if they want a G80, like that's gonna throw up a surprise result.

For the record, you can buy it if you like, just dont get upset someone doesnt like it. Some people bought Multiplas and Aztecs and they couldnt give a tiny rats ass what people thought. I respect that. I still think cars were ugly.
I'm not buying one right now and I'm not upset. I'm also an adult and can only take so much of grown men whining over and over about the appearance of automobile grilles. If there was 20 posters each making a single post or two that they didn't like it that's one thing but it was a small handful of posters repeating themselves over and over and over making the threads unreadable. That's why things got cleaned up.
Exactly. Some make it a personal mission to voice over and over their "displeasure" that it becomes nothing but a vendetta. Oh and people need to be reminded that their constitutional rights of "Free speech" don't apply to privately owned internet message boards such as this one.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0