BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Scratch in rear bumper

Probably got hit by shopping carts in parking lots.

First, I am trying to avoid body shops as I have had horrible stories with them even though there might be good ones out there.
Can this be fixed by touchup and polishing or other means that do not require removing parts? I will probably hire someone who is good at scratch removal to it if it will make it unnoticeable.

Does anyone know the color code for the dark gray bumper cover by the way?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
boostin1004
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 m3 cab

Go get a kit from doctor color chip. Their matches have been perfect and I just recieved my kit for my phytonic blue. I haven't tried it yet bc of the weather but it's either flawlessly on my previous cars
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
Probably got hit by shopping carts in parking lots.

First, I am trying to avoid body shops as I have had horrible stories with them even though there might be good ones out there.
Can this be fixed by touchup and polishing or other means that do not require removing parts? I will probably hire someone who is good at scratch removal to it if it will make it unnoticeable.

Does anyone know the color code for the dark gray bumper cover by the way?
Sorry to hear that

If this is a deep scratch (ie the primer is seen and feel that there is a gap between the paint layer and the scratch) you're out of luck and would require a paint job .. in most cases touch up paint would cause a top uneven layer to be noticed .. and a good body shop would actually mask off that side and have it sanded / primed and painted .. then would be able blend the right panel using a light layer of clear coat lacquer....

the paint color code for dark shadow MSP on M Sport trim panels, is probably WB27 - a good bodyshop can confirm.

M Aerodynamics Trim panel, bumper, rear, bottom - #51 12 8 080 948 comes from the factory finished in DARK SHADOW MSP.

And M Aerodynamics Underride protection - #51 12 8 099 220 comes primed for painting.

Unless its a simple surface color on color scratch .. you can use a good rubbing compound or brake oil to remove the white scratch

Good luck
Appreciate 0