BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Animal life is depressing

One of my guys heard screaming (Kittens) as he was opening the shop. He found momma with 4 newborns. They were safe and secure under some shelving.
My guys didnt disturb them but went back later to check and momma and 2 kittens were gone. They carefully scooped up the other 2, put them in a box and bottle fed them. One of the wives came and took them to their house to keep feeding them.

I put out food for hopes we could see momma and where the other 2 kittens may be stashed and no luck.
There is tons of safe places for her to hide on our property and I'm sure she didnt get hit by a car b/c there are no roads close enough.

Maybe I am menopausal but its sad to me that they just got left behind.
Ill put more food out for momma but at night I'm sure there are other cats, racoons, possums, gators (kidding) that eat it
Appreciate 5
      04-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If the humans hadn't taken her last 2 babies, she would have moved them as well.
Appreciate 5
2000cs3443.50
Hawkeye2069.50
vreihen1614882.00
RickFLM410873.00
Buug95916829.00
      04-07-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

It's not unusual for cats to stash their kittens in multiple locations to reduce the risk of losing all of them to a predator. Occasionally they'll forget where they left them or simple encounter another issue and not come back to the kittens for days.

I rescued a kitten once I was sure would not make it and a few days later saw a female cat sniffing around the area. I assume it was probably the mom coming back for the kitten but figured it had a good home now so let her wander off.
      04-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If the humans hadn't taken her last 2 babies, she would have moved them as well.
We are watching for her. Everyone was terrified these things would die, she hadnt been seen around in almost 24 hours.
Its azz hot in there too so we didnt want cooked kitty, they have that at the Chinese buffet up front
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      04-07-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Many years ago I had a stray cat give birth to 4 kittens in our backyard. We made friends with her and fed her until her babies didn't need her milk anymore, then took 3 of the kittens to the shelter and kept the momma and 1 kitten. We got them both fixed and they lived in our backyard for several years. Then one day the kitten, grown up now, disappeared and never returned. Months later the momma cat disappeared as well. They were gone. We never let them in because we already had 2 male cats in the house and we didn't want to disrupt their lives.
      04-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
It's not unusual for cats to stash their kittens in multiple locations to reduce the risk of losing all of them to a predator. Occasionally they'll forget where they left them or simple encounter another issue and not come back to the kittens for days.

I rescued a kitten once I was sure would not make it and a few days later saw a female cat sniffing around the area. I assume it was probably the mom coming back for the kitten but figured it had a good home now so let her wander off.
Wow, never knew that! Crazy how cats have that instinct.
      04-07-2022, 12:38 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I remember as a kid being traumatised when our cat ate her kittens. I grew up on a small farm so was used to death etc but fmd i found that too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #8
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I love how everyone jumped in to help! Makes me happy. To many animals out there are neglected or abused and it makes me ANGRY! I would love to inflict some of the same pain on the assholes that harm animals.

One of the rescue groups in our areas has been dealing with the biggest tragedies lately. A German Shepard was hit by a car. He got lost and the owner found him in a ditch and was going to put him to sleep. The rescue got wind and he had surgery. Guess what, he's doing great! They're asking for donations to help cover the surgery and have an Amazon list which I sent some pill pockets to the foster.

Another puppy had parasites and the owner took him to the vet but he started vomiting blood and his own poop. The owner didn't want to pay and surrendered him. By the time the rescue picked him up he was constantly screaming in pain. They got him in to the emergency vet. Now, that's he under care the owner is saying the rescue stole him and is trying to defame them because she wants him back.

People are crazy and a lot of thought needs to go in to adopting/buying an animal. There are a lot of people who do good, help, and am so thankful that they can do so.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      04-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I remember as a kid being traumatised when our cat ate her kittens. I grew up on a small farm so was used to death etc but fmd i found that too much.
If they have a sub optimal kitten in the litter they'll kill it, if the litter cannot be nutritionally supported by the mother it may kill and eat them. That would be something traumatizing to see as a kid.

When I was 9 my grandfather started his truck and severely wounded one of our cats in the engine bay and we had to euthanize it. Not sure why I was included in the trip to the wood shed but I was and it was sad. However, he said another one would probably come around and in a week or two there was another stray farm cat I named "Muffin 2".
      04-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I forgot to mention in my post above we named the 4 kittens after The Who. There was Roger, Pete, John, and Keith. Pete is the one we kept.
      04-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I forgot to mention in my post above we named the 4 kittens after The Who. There was Roger, Pete, John, and Keith. Pete is the one we kept.
Did you ASSume their gender, or actually check???
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Did you ASSume their gender, or actually check???
It didn't matter. They were just names.