BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #23
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Can you elaborate on not being able to come to a smooth stop?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #24
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

good summary of your personal exp.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #25
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
From the dislikes section: unable to come to a smooth stop. Is it the brakes being excessively aggressive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Can you elaborate on not being able to come to a smooth stop?
I get a slight jerk at the very end as if I stepped hard on the brake. It's slight, but extremely annoying as I've never had this issue with any other car.

Some small percentage of the time I can bring it to a smooth stop, but it requires being on the very very edge of braking vs not-braking, and at least half of those attempts end up with the car jumping forward at the end of the braking because I end up letting go too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #26
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Apologies if it's already been addressed, however I never use the handbrake. Not once. It annoys me when I pick the car up from the garage or cleaners and they've put it on because I go to drive off and it won't let me haha

You're right about the lane assist etc, nice to have I'm sure but too aggressive and for that reason I turned it off within a few days.

Cracking car tho, I'm envious.
      01-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #27
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I enjoy gesture control.

My wife hates it but when I point at the TV with my index finger and do clockwise/counterclockwise circles, she knows exactly what I'm asking!

I hate the idrive lag. We are in 2021 and still these computers can't get to the home screen without a 2 second lag.
I'm with you. Takes some getting used to in all fairness but once you are it's super easy and much more convenient.

Folks tell me that the audio controls are on the steering and that's true but usually my right hand rests on/near the gearshift so it's much simpler to use gesture than to bring it all the way over to the steering.

I guess like any feature, it's fantastic for some and less so for others
I've identified the problem, you need both hands on the wheel 😜 Everything will make sense once that happens.
Appreciate 1
ajob454.50
      01-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #28
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I thought gesture control was gimmic initially as well but I use the mute, receive/reject call a lot, not so much volume up and down though
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #29
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I enjoy gesture control.

My wife hates it but when I point at the TV with my index finger and do clockwise/counterclockwise circles, she knows exactly what I'm asking!

I hate the idrive lag. We are in 2021 and still these computers can't get to the home screen without a 2 second lag.
I'm with you. Takes some getting used to in all fairness but once you are it's super easy and much more convenient.

Folks tell me that the audio controls are on the steering and that's true but usually my right hand rests on/near the gearshift so it's much simpler to use gesture than to bring it all the way over to the steering.

I guess like any feature, it's fantastic for some and less so for others
I've identified the problem, you need both hands on the wheel 😜 Everything will make sense once that happens.
Lol hey I think one hand on the wheel is good enough considering the Tesla drivers out there who are outright napping in their cars
      01-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #30
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
I get a slight jerk at the very end as if I stepped hard on the brake. It's slight, but extremely annoying as I've never had this issue with any other car.

Some small percentage of the time I can bring it to a smooth stop, but it requires being on the very very edge of braking vs not-braking, and at least half of those attempts end up with the car jumping forward at the end of the braking because I end up letting go too much.
Thanks for the additional details. If these symptoms can be consistently replicated, any plans to have the dealer look at this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #31
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Thanks for the additional details. If these symptoms can be consistently replicated, any plans to have the dealer look at this issue?
That's a good question. I had assumed it's a feature I have to hate to live with, but I will bring it up at the 6k appointment and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      01-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #32
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:

I have a 2018 X5M. There is a little bit of a jerk sometimes when coming to a stop and shifting from 1 to neutral. The aggressive M tuning on the transmission seems to have a pretty high stall point and an aggressive catch and full lock-up. Great for the gear ratios and for transmission drivetrain loss, but you can really feel the disengagement.

Feels very similar to my 2011 S4 with DSG in first gear coming to a stop.

is that what you're talking about?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #33
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Re: the car keys - did it not come with the credit-card type key too? Also, and I could be wrong here, but you can use your phone as a key no?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #34
davidlg16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

for the autopilot feature, does that only come if you chose the Driving Assist Professional Package when you build the car?

I thought that package was for traffic info only and overlooked, did Not choose it
Past:
2018 X5M / 2015 740i / 2015 M4 / 2013 X5 35i / 2010 335i / 2004 Z4 / 2000 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #35
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
I have a 2018 X5M. There is a little bit of a jerk sometimes when coming to a stop and shifting from 1 to neutral. The aggressive M tuning on the transmission seems to have a pretty high stall point and an aggressive catch and full lock-up. Great for the gear ratios and for transmission drivetrain loss, but you can really feel the disengagement.

Feels very similar to my 2011 S4 with DSG in first gear coming to a stop.

is that what you're talking about?
I would guess no, since this is all happening in 1st gear and staying in 1st gear (unless I misunderstand something about the automatic transmission). To me it feels like the brakes are super hard and there is no controlled softness at the very end.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #36
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Re: the car keys - did it not come with the credit-card type key too? Also, and I could be wrong here, but you can use your phone as a key no?
It does come with the credit card key, but that's even less convenient - you have to take it out to open the doors, and then put it in a specific spot in the car for it to start.

I think it works with iPhones, but not Android. My understanding is it worked for a while, and then BMW updated some standard that Android hasn't yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:59 PM   #37
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Dislikes:
  • Back up assist does not work well - tried it just for fun and it hopped onto a curb for no reason. Bad BMW!
  • Can't consistently come to a super smooth stop no matter the settings. Autopilot can't do it either. This is really bugging me - that last sudden grab at the end is awful.
Hope you didn't curb your rim!

Us F10 M5 owners have that same problem with the stop... guess BMW never bothered to fix that problem
Appreciate 1
Noneya251.50
      01-14-2021, 11:01 PM   #38
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlg16 View Post
for the autopilot feature, does that only come if you chose the Driving Assist Professional Package when you build the car?

I thought that package was for traffic info only and overlooked, did Not choose it
Yes, that's the package. It sometimes brings up a notice about using it under 40mph, but is willing to do it at any speed. Another thing I like about it is that it yells at you if you stop looking at the road (or let go of the steering wheel) - it's a good reminder that this is not a full self driving car even though it can feel like one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #39
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post

Us F10 M5 owners have that same problem with the stop... guess BMW never bothered to fix that problem
It did, but I forgave it. I think I might get stoned for saying this here, but my rims have never stayed rash free. It's significantly better with the 360 camera, but things still happen

Interesting, do you understand why that jerk is happening at the end?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #40
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Yes, that's the package. It sometimes brings up a notice about using it under 40mph, but is willing to do it at any speed. Another thing I like about it is that it yells at you if you stop looking at the road (or let go of the steering wheel) - it's a good reminder that this is not a full self driving car even though it can feel like one.
If you buy the DAP option, can you turn it completely off in settings if you want sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:21 AM   #41
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
It does come with the credit card key, but that's even less convenient - you have to take it out to open the doors, and then put it in a specific spot in the car for it to start.

I think it works with iPhones, but not Android. My understanding is it worked for a while, and then BMW updated some standard that Android hasn't yet.
As I understood it the card key spot is the same as the wireless charging spot, so you use your phone to unlock and then toss your phone on the charger. Granted either way it's more of a PITA than just having a key you keep in your pocket at all times and don't have to put anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:07 AM   #42
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post

It did, but I forgave it. I think I might get stoned for saying this here, but my rims have never stayed rash free. It's significantly better with the 360 camera, but things still happen

Interesting, do you understand why that jerk is happening at the end?
No clue. I even try to creep to a stop at my softest settings and it still feels like I dropped an anchor. I eventually accepted the fact it won't go away and just dealt with it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #43
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:

[*]Speaking of the app - why doesn't it show more stuff about car state? I hooked up Home Assistant to the car, and get a bit more data.
Curious to know what other information you would like it to show?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #44
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
As I understood it the card key spot is the same as the wireless charging spot, so you use your phone to unlock and then toss your phone on the charger. Granted either way it's more of a PITA than just having a key you keep in your pocket at all times and don't have to put anywhere.
In my ideal world my phone stays in my pocket and the car opens and drives just like it does with the key.
Appreciate 1