BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #1
Azuredream
Rep
Drives: 24 x5

Stuck at "At the port (Richmond)" state for bay area delivery

Order my car in June and Prod Date was 7/15.

On 7/18 it dispatched from factory
On 8/13 it finally reached to Richmond (status changed few times between in Transit and at the port).

My CA contacted me on 8/14 and said estimate shipment date was 8/14 and dealer delivery was 8/16 on their system, asked me to prepare for pickup.

Unfortunately, nothing happened on 8/16 and my CA said he had no idea where the car was and asked his manager to follow up, later he told me that the truck company was shorthanded on truck driver.

Today myBMW still shows as "At the port" and my CA said he requested his manager to follow up again and hope to make something happen.

Just wondering if anyone from the bay area experience the same delay?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:37 PM   #2
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

My dealer said they were driving cars in one bye one from Richmond due to truck availability being very low right now. Mine sat at Richmond for several days before moving, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
Azuredream
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
My dealer said they were driving cars in one bye one from Richmond due to truck availability being very low right now. Mine sat at Richmond for several days before moving, though.
Did you mean your dealer drove the car from Richmond to their dealership without using truck? Interesting.
Did you get your car yet? Mine has been sitting there more than a week now...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredream View Post
Did you mean your dealer drove the car from Richmond to their dealership without using truck? Interesting.
Did you get your car yet? Mine has been sitting there more than a week now...
They have been doing that for about a year or so. It is quicker for them to have the cars driven to the dealers than wait for trucks.

Not to get you worried but there could have been damage in shipping and the delta is for repairs. Not sure if they notify the dealer about that or not.
      08-23-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
They have been doing that for about a year or so. It is quicker for them to have the cars driven to the dealers than wait for trucks.

Not to get you worried but there could have been damage in shipping and the delta is for repairs. Not sure if they notify the dealer about that or not.
They have to notify if it is over a certain dollar threshold. Unfortunately can’t recall what it is at the moment but I’ve read it on the forums on a few different occasions over the years.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:22 PM   #6
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

When I got my car June/July, anywhere between 3-10 days at Richmond is very very normal. The trucking company scheduled time (BMW genius can provide that to you) is not accurate at all. When there is delay, time could be 2 wks or more.

I would call again if it has not arrived dealership 8/26. The online tracker reflect the delivery quite promptly - it is sometimes even quicker than dealer can put it into the inventory and notify you. So keep an eye on that.

BMW genius also suggest dealer may have a list from trucking company on each car's delivery estimate, but in my case it did not work, the dealer says trucking company is not very predictable; they got a batch of car every few days but the order they arrive seems random and no one has an idea what arrives when.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #7
Azuredream
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

that's new to me. I will ask my dealer to see if they can do the same for me
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
Azuredream
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
When I got my car June/July, anywhere between 3-10 days at Richmond is very very normal. The trucking company scheduled time (BMW genius can provide that to you) is not accurate at all. When there is delay, time could be 2 wks or more.

I would call again if it has not arrived dealership 8/26. The online tracker reflect the delivery quite promptly - it is sometimes even quicker than dealer can put it into the inventory and notify you. So keep an eye on that.

BMW genius also suggest dealer may have a list from trucking company on each car's delivery estimate, but in my case it did not work, the dealer says trucking company is not very predictable; they got a batch of car every few days but the order they arrive seems random and no one has an idea what arrives when.
Thanks a lot for the info. I am ok with the delay but worried that truck company mess up their process and put those cars which arrive late to the truck in front of mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #9
Azuredream
Rep

Just checked the online tracking and it moves from "at the port" to "in transit". I assume it finally gets on the truck. keep my finger crossed
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredream View Post
Just checked the online tracking and it moves from "at the port" to "in transit". I assume it finally gets on the truck. keep my finger crossed
They definitely are not always FIFO.

I understand you can't wait to get ur car, same as me two mo ago. However "in transit" doesn't mean anything in my case; "at the dealership" did.

Hope you get your ride soon! After your car is in the dealership, it will take a day or two to prepare. BMW mandate dealership to charge the battery to 90+ before delivery which can slow the process down if they receive a lot of EV/PHEV
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
socalsharky
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, Porsche 992 GTS

I'm confused about the "at the port" status. Aren't these vehicles made in the Carolinas? I would think the vehicles would be shipped by truck or rail.

Is that just a catch all for some sort of a distribution center? I am in SoCal, and mine shows at the port right now. My SA thought it might be in Oxnard.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
I'm confused about the "at the port" status. Aren't these vehicles made in the Carolinas? I would think the vehicles would be shipped by truck or rail.

Is that just a catch all for some sort of a distribution center? I am in SoCal, and mine shows at the port right now. My SA thought it might be in Oxnard.
At the port can mean various stages. Having accessories installed, waiting at a truck terminal, waiting for a ship or unload, etc and in your case it is the rail yard. Those by train will see it first at the KC rail yard and then again at their West Coast end yard.
Appreciate 1