BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2023, 12:13 AM   #1
CO-Terry
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

X6 Tires, Roof Rack, and Accessories

Hello! I just ordered my first ever BMW - a 2024 X6 xDrive40i, fully loaded, Carbon Black with Black rims. It will be here in February 2024. I have extensively searched these forums when I was agonizing over exterior and interior color, options, etc. I got a bit overwhelmed, and I still have outstanding questions that I am hoping can be answered as I prepare for delivery.

(A) Tires - I live in Colorado. I got the 22" Black Rims 742M. I understand that this is a summer tire. I am looking for an all-season tire.

(1) First question (might be dumb) - can this tire fit an all-season tire on the black rim? Would there be a spacing or sizing issue?

(2) Any specific tire model and brand recommendations for an all-season? I have read some people like Continental, and I like Michelin's for my Jeep.

(B) Roof Rack - I cannot get a straight answer from the dealer. Does the x6 have the ability to have a roof rack? When I searched the BMW accessory website, there wasn't a compatible roof or ski rack (when I last searched). Any experience or recommendations here? I also have a trailer hitch.

(C) Dash Cam - when I first looked to build, the Advanced Pro Eye 3.0 with Screen was available - when I ordered, no camera on BMW's website appeared compatible. Does anyone have a recommendation for that?

(D) Accessories in General - I wonder if anyone had general BMW or third-party accessories they loved and would recommend.

Thank you in advance for any reply, I appreciate your time! Also, if the answer already exists in a forum and I happened to miss it, please post the link and I will check it out. Thanks! - Terry
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:35 AM   #2
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

A - grab a set of 20 inch rims - 738s are available everywhere and affordable; 740M rims are prettier and a bit more money - slap a square set of Michelin Alpin 5 snow tires on them in 275/45 R20 and have those transferred on the car when evening temps regularly drop to 45 degrees or less.

When temps regularly warm above 45F, swap back to the pretty 22s with summer tires. Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 3
X6ix GTA142.00
rexus300153.50
      12-19-2023, 01:27 AM   #3
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1. Order Tux Mats. I have them for my LCI X6 and they offer more coverage, specially good for snow covered shoes.
2. Get a storage organizer for the arm rest storage. It’s just one big whole without the organizer tray. Search amazon.
3. Tempered glass screen protector for the central display. Look on ali express for cheap options. Be warned that it might increase the glare in certain conditions but will help keep the screens scratch free.
4. If you’ll be ditching run flat tires and haven’t optioned a spare tire, I suggest getting an emergency inflation kit.

You probably don’t need a dash cam if you’ve ordered the drive recorder. See if the built in drive recorder fits your needs, if not you can get a dash cam later.

For the wheels, switch to square 20” 740m if you still can, I’ll be a lot easier to find all season tires. But if you have the money and the space, buy a used second set of rims and tries for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

B: The X6 does not have roof rails. So you would have to go with an aftermarket crossbar. Here's an option:

Yakima BaseLine FX System - Integrated Crossbar System For Naked Roof Vehicles

Thule does not seem to offer a system but it could just be a limitation of their web site. You can check with a rack store.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Would these Pirelli P Zero All Seasons work? They’re high performance All Season 22 inch tires. Probably not ideal for heavy snow but if you live in an area where they plow roads pretty quickly I’d imagine they’d work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Would these Pirelli P Zero All Seasons work? They’re high performance All Season 22 inch tires. Probably not ideal for heavy snow but if you live in an area where they plow roads pretty quickly I’d imagine they’d work.
Yes. Not as good as dedicated 20” snows but they’ll work. A driver must be smart and take it easy. I drove in NE Ohio winters on high performance A/S tires for years before moving south 10 years ago.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Dedicated tires for the season give you the highest capabilities, but may be overkill for your needs. It depends on what conditions you choose to drive in. I have a fairly long, steep driveway. It gets plowed pretty reliably, but if the snow is coming down fast, I'm out and want to get home, an all-season hasn't always gotten me there, whereas a dedicated winter tire has. Sometimes, the weather report isn't as accurate as you'd like, or a local spot can be worse than expected. Some restraint can help, but having the right 'boots' on can make a big difference. There is a real difference in cornering and stopping distances if the weather is crappy and you get into an emergency situation. Many people don't match their progress to the conditions, especially at the first snowfall, and can learn very quickly, the traction available is different. I look at this as insurance...you hope you don't need it, but are glad if you do. If you can wait it out, just having something that can handle the cold is more than sufficient. Hit a patch of ice, and it could ruin your day.

All-season and all-weather tires continue to get better, narrowing the gap to a dedicated winter tire, but will probably never become equal as compounds, carcass construction, and tread design improve.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 07:02 PM   #8
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I would get separate 20 inch OEM rims and put some winters on it. I did that with Michelin XICE snow 275/45R20s and they are fantastic. Would not risk it with 22s and all seasons especially in Colorado. 22s have thin sidewalls and any all seasons will be average and risk a huge tradeoff compared to dedicated winters.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 11:24 PM   #9
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
I would get separate 20 inch OEM rims and put some winters on it. I did that with Michelin XICE snow 275/45R20s and they are fantastic. Would not risk it with 22s and all seasons especially in Colorado. 22s have thin sidewalls and any all seasons will be average and risk a huge tradeoff compared to dedicated winters.
Given OP is in Colorado, and may be subject to its “chain laws” dedicated snow tires remain my recommendation. I drove through Colorado in January, and was happy to have snow tires when we rolled into a major winter storm leaving Denver….
Appreciate 1
rexus300153.50
      12-20-2023, 12:20 AM   #10
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoJJ View Post
1. Order Tux Mats. I have them for my LCI X6 and they offer more coverage, specially good for snow covered shoes.
2. Get a storage organizer for the arm rest storage. It’s just one big whole without the organizer tray. Search amazon.
3. Tempered glass screen protector for the central display. Look on ali express for cheap options. Be warned that it might increase the glare in certain conditions but will help keep the screens scratch free.
4. If you’ll be ditching run flat tires and haven’t optioned a spare tire, I suggest getting an emergency inflation kit.

You probably don’t need a dash cam if you’ve ordered the drive recorder. See if the built in drive recorder fits your needs, if not you can get a dash cam later.

For the wheels, switch to square 20” 740m if you still can, I’ll be a lot easier to find all season tires. But if you have the money and the space, buy a used second set of rims and tries for the winter.
Thank you for these recommendations - I didn't think about the screen protector or the console organizer. I will look at the 20" rim as well. CO is pretty variable, with he snow melting quickly, so that is why I thought I could get away with all-seasons. May not be the case. Appreciate the suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:22 AM   #11
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
A - grab a set of 20 inch rims - 738s are available everywhere and affordable; 740M rims are prettier and a bit more money - slap a square set of Michelin Alpin 5 snow tires on them in 275/45 R20 and have those transferred on the car when evening temps regularly drop to 45 degrees or less.

When temps regularly warm above 45F, swap back to the pretty 22s with summer tires. Enjoy the car!
Is there any detriment to driving the snow tires in above 45 degree weather for extended periods? I ask because in CO, it'll snow, and then be 60 degrees on the same day in the winter (except last winter). I do drive up to the mountains to ski, but other than the winter storm itself, the roads are usually clear and dry and the snow on its way to melting. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:24 AM   #12
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
B: The X6 does not have roof rails. So you would have to go with an aftermarket crossbar. Here's an option:

Yakima BaseLine FX System - Integrated Crossbar System For Naked Roof Vehicles

Thule does not seem to offer a system but it could just be a limitation of their web site. You can check with a rack store.
Thank you for the rec! I will be sure to take a look at this, because I want a ski rack if feasible. I will go to REI or Christy's Sports too.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:26 AM   #13
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Dedicated tires for the season give you the highest capabilities, but may be overkill for your needs. It depends on what conditions you choose to drive in. I have a fairly long, steep driveway. It gets plowed pretty reliably, but if the snow is coming down fast, I'm out and want to get home, an all-season hasn't always gotten me there, whereas a dedicated winter tire has. Sometimes, the weather report isn't as accurate as you'd like, or a local spot can be worse than expected. Some restraint can help, but having the right 'boots' on can make a big difference. There is a real difference in cornering and stopping distances if the weather is crappy and you get into an emergency situation. Many people don't match their progress to the conditions, especially at the first snowfall, and can learn very quickly, the traction available is different. I look at this as insurance...you hope you don't need it, but are glad if you do. If you can wait it out, just having something that can handle the cold is more than sufficient. Hit a patch of ice, and it could ruin your day.

All-season and all-weather tires continue to get better, narrowing the gap to a dedicated winter tire, but will probably never become equal as compounds, carcass construction, and tread design improve.
My Jeep has all-seasons, and I have managed to fare well in all snow weather (including I-70) for 12 years, but the Jeep might be a different beast (and its a 20" all season, not 22"). Other than the inconvenience of swapping out tires and storing them, my main concern is driving the snow tires at highway speeds at 50-60 degree dry weather. Colorado is so variable that we will get constant weather at that temperature.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:29 AM   #14
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Thank you SO much for this recommendation! I will certainly (1) go to a few tire stores around here and see if they have it, and (2) compare this with the other responses to my post to see if I should get all-season or winter tires.

They let the sun melt the snow here in Denver, but plow the highways. Also, the variable temperatures usually means the snow is melted in a day. The question is whether this type of tire, plus all-wheel drive, can get me through those rare heavier snows. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:33 AM   #15
CO-Terry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
Based on your post, is it safe to assume that the 22" reduces the effectiveness of the all-season tire because it has a smaller sidewall? That is something I did not know I should consider--so thank you for that! I am learning as much as I can as I go, here.

My main concern then (which I have posited to another forum poster just now), is whether I would cause damage to the tire or vehicle if I am driving snow tires in Colorado winters. I highway drive everyday, and go up into the mountains (200 mi). Colorado is famous for having 60 degree days in the middle of the winter, frequently on the same day as a snow, with it melting away on major roads. For some reason, I remember hearing long ago that driving winter tires on warm, dry roads is not good. I'd probably have the winter tires on from late October/early November to End of February.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:52 AM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-Terry View Post
Based on your post, is it safe to assume that the 22" reduces the effectiveness of the all-season tire because it has a smaller sidewall? That is something I did not know I should consider--so thank you for that! I am learning as much as I can as I go, here.

My main concern then (which I have posited to another forum poster just now), is whether I would cause damage to the tire or vehicle if I am driving snow tires in Colorado winters. I highway drive everyday, and go up into the mountains (200 mi). Colorado is famous for having 60 degree days in the middle of the winter, frequently on the same day as a snow, with it melting away on major roads. For some reason, I remember hearing long ago that driving winter tires on warm, dry roads is not good. I'd probably have the winter tires on from late October/early November to End of February.
The effectiveness of all season tire doesn't change with side wall, not at all. It is the availability of the all season tire of BMW OE 22" setup is the issue. They are hard to find, and very few manufacture makes them.

You won't damage anything by using the wrong type of tires. Winter tires are louder. Ambient of 50-60F means tire temperature will be higher at dry condition high way speed. Basically, winter tire traction is never that high. It just doesn't reduce when temperature reduces. So at sufficient temperature, summer and all season will have much better tractions. The cross over point is very much dependent on the driving condition. At wet condition, winter tire will fare better maybe up to 40F. Above that, summer and all season tires will have superior tracking. The concern using winter tire at warm weather is the same as using summer tires at freezing temp.

If I were you, I will use all season. First, it seem you have been doing well for 12 years with all seasons. And then you have large temperature swing in your area. Using winter tire at 60F ambient isn't smart IMO. Another way is to pay attention to your neighbors, coworkers ... people live in your area, drive in similar condition. Crowd wisdom is probably correct.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 12-20-2023 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 04:07 AM   #17
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
The effectiveness of all season tire doesn't change with side wall, not at all. It is the availability of the all season tire of BMW OE 22" setup is the issue. They are hard to find, and very few manufacture makes them.

You won't damage anything by using the wrong type of tires. Winter tires are louder. Ambient of 50-60F means tire temperature will be higher at dry condition high way speed. Basically, winter tire traction is never that high. It just doesn't reduce when temperature reduces. So at sufficient temperature, summer and all season will have much better tractions. The cross over point is very much dependent on the driving condition. At wet condition, winter tire will fare better maybe up to 40F. Above that, summer and all season tires will have superior tracking. The concern using winter tire at warm weather is the same as using summer tires at freezing temp.

If I were you, I will use all season. First, it seem you have been doing well for 12 years with all seasons. And then you have large temperature swing in your area. Using winter tire at 60F ambient isn't smart IMO. Another way is to pay attention to your neighbors, coworkers ... people live in your area, drive in similar condition. Crowd wisdom is probably correct.
While my thoughts are a little different - in broad terms I agree with everything eelnoraa said. I tend to be out and about more in the evenings, than during the warmest hours of the day - and if there's serious snow about, or there's a chance of driving on untreated roads and at higher elevations I want winter tires on the car - but that's also my former EMT/current RN low risk tolerance coming to bear.

You living in Colorado have a much better idea of how things are, than I do - I've spent 9 days in Colorado this year, including two in January, where the storm leaving Denver probably affects my recommendations. If I lived there, and/or had better weather information on that trip, I likely would have just home or spent another night in the Denver hotel.

When we were planning our September/October road trip to the Rockies - Pikes Peak, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park - I had to decide on tires. Summer Tires came off because it would be too cold for them; winter tires weren't suitable because the drive out to CO from PA, and home from Montana would be in 70 degree temps, so I threw 20 inch wheels with Bridgestone Alenza 275/45 R20 runflats on the car, and they were fine, even for the little bit of snow we encountered in Yellowstone. (And yes, this means I'm crazy enough to have three sets of rims and tires for my X5. :-) )

If you're going to change to a different tire for winter, I'd recommend 20 inch rims - you'll have more tire choices, whether you go all season or winter tire. Then when the weather is consistently above 45 degrees, put the pretty 22s and summer tires back on the car.

If you opt for Winter Tires - the Michelin Alpin 5 tires in my experience work as well as the all seasons in the cold, and even at temps in the 50s, if I'm out and about on a warm day - regardless of whether the road is dry, wet, or snow covered. Haven't done instrumented testing - this is strictly seat of the pants, based on how I drive.... Good luck, and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #18
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not a native but have lived in Denver CO since before the pop boom and have had ski seasons over 50 days out here.
99% of the time all seasons with the snowflake symbol are fine.
CODOT does a good job of plowing and they’re downright overbearing in their decisions to close 70 if snow gets too heavy bc of so many morons in 2wd or crap ties. There have been several powder days ruined bc we got near Floyd Hill and they closed 70

We put snow tires on my wife’s car bc it makes her comfortable but I’ve driven with A/Ts for years and not swapped.
I drove my Touareg through foot deep snow in the way to Mammoth one year. CDOT was doing chain checks. The cop looked at my A/Ts and the Touareg and said “you’re not gonna have a problem. Have fun.” And we did!

My general take is that for competent drivers the rare occasions that you would need snow tires are an indication that you should just wait until tomorrow.

Now. All that said. If you’re the kind of person that wants to have snow cables as an option. You’ll need to get 20” wheels and even that is questionable. I’d rather just have a pair of those snow socks in case of an emergency.

Another issue with snow tires in CO is that even if it is consistently above 45 we can have big storms come through and then you’re going to be stuck with summer tires you just put on. That’s more dangerous than using all seasons all winter and spring.

As for the racks. I wouldn’t trust anyone REI or Christy with your situation. I’d go to rack attack or rack source. Even if you don’t buy there. They will know the best solution for an X6.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #19
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post

... You living in Colorado have a much better idea of how things are, than I do - I've spent 9 days in Colorado this year, including two in January, where the storm leaving Denver probably affects my recommendations. If I lived there, and/or had better weather information on that trip, I likely would have just home or spent another night in the Denver hotel.

When we were planning our September/October road trip to the Rockies - Pikes Peak, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park - I had to decide on tires. Summer Tires came off because it would be too cold for them; winter tires weren't suitable because the drive out to CO from PA, and home from Montana would be in 70 degree temps, so I threw 20 inch wheels with Bridgestone Alenza 275/45 R20 runflats on the car, and they were fine, even for the little bit of snow we encountered in Yellowstone. (And yes, this means I'm crazy enough to have three sets of rims and tires for my X5. :-) )

If you're going to change to a different tire for winter, I'd recommend 20 inch rims - you'll have more tire choices, whether you go all season or winter tire. Then when the weather is consistently above 45 degrees, put the pretty 22s and summer tires back on the car.

If you opt for Winter Tires - the Michelin Alpin 5 tires in my experience work as well as the all seasons in the cold, and even at temps in the 50s, if I'm out and about on a warm day - regardless of whether the road is dry, wet, or snow covered. Haven't done instrumented testing - this is strictly seat of the pants, based on how I drive.... Good luck, and enjoy the car!
The location of the main use really matter when choose tires. the 45F or 40F blanket statement for boundary between summer and winter is as much lawyer talking as it gets. So think logically is more important.

for the 3 sets of tire/wheel that you have, 2 set will need to be store at any moment, how do you store them?? They are not exactly small or light weight. They take up a lot of spaces. And it is not like you can leave them outside
      12-20-2023, 05:45 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Snow socks and cables/chains have a pretty low max speed limit, and while some are fairly easy to install, it's not the most fun at the side of the road in a snowstorm.

Winter tires will wear a little faster at warm temperatures, but personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Come spring, I wouldn't wait too long before taking them off. FWIW, some of them utilize a layered tread compound and allow you to use them year-round once they wear off the winter compound. Winter tires only work really well with deeper tread than 'normal' tires.

Note, the rubber in tires gets harder from the day they come out of the mold at the factory. They might work well the first season in the winter, but as they progressively get harder, they lose some of their capabilities. This is one reason why the industry recommends you replace your tires at 6-years, regardless of the tread depth left. You should also look at the date code molded in the sidewall of your tires...in the USA, it's required to show the week and last two digits of the year, so 2623 would have been made in the 26th week of 2023.

I grew up in upstate NY, where some areas get the most snow in the country except maybe for some high mountain areas, so got lots of experience in driving in snow. When younger, I didn't want to let some snow on the road keep me from doing what I wanted. Today, retired, I have the option to usually wait it out.

Winter tires will give you more grip on snow or ice...less on drier roads, but good ones aren't a major deficiency.

Good all-weather tires get better every version update. As I said, it depends on your risk tolerance and ability to wait for better weather if it happens. Black ice can pop up more often than many people realize, and with freeze/thaw cycles, an ice patch can pop up around a curve you may not notice. Most times, you'll just roll over it...it's that one time when you can't that you will be glad you have better tires. That still won't resolve inattention or making poor choices for the conditions.

Long time ago when I lived in Germany, I was going from Frankfurt to Miesau where I lived...that takes you through a hilly area. It had been raining most of the day. Before outside temperature gauges were common in vehicles, I had one in the vehicle I was driving. It was like 33 at the bottom of the hills, and dropped below freezing as I went higher. Each time, there were a bunch of vehicles that had skidded off the road. Being aware of the situation, I made it home without issues, but good tires helped. Messy conditions can pop up, often without warnings...is a little insurance worth it? Your decision.

Most of the time, downsizing the wheels for winter tires is the recommendation. If there's any snow on the roads, it can easily cover debris or potholes, or sometimes the edge of the pavement or curb. A little more sidewall can sometimes help prevent wheel damage. My current winter tires are Nokian R3's (there's a newer version out now). They utilize an aramid fiber for the sidewalls (think bullet proof vest like material), and a warranty for sidewall damage that's more common on winter tires. They don't make it in every size, but do for mine.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #21
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-Terry View Post

Anytime! Since the sidewalls on the 22s are thinner than 20s, they will get a bit harder more than the 20s in colder temps reducing effectiveness.

I go to Colorado often as I snowboard alot and I have had rental cars with all seasons in winter storm and they dont inspire confidence in the mountains or around Denver compared to my cars at home in Michigan with the winters. The temps can go up to 50s occasionally late winter and the tires are fine even 60s sometimes. Just not above 70 degrees. Newer winter tires are designed so well they last 3 seasons or more regardless of temps. You should be good! I keep mines on from Nov to April.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 08:11 PM   #22
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
2 set will need to be store at any moment, how do you store them?? They are not exactly small or light weight. They take up a lot of spaces. And it is not like you can leave them outside
He lives in the suburbs in PA. Probably has plenty of space for storage.
Appreciate 0