BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Thumbs up Just came back from our second 2200 mile family road trip in the X5.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Last year I reported our adventures on our 2200 mile family road trip from PA to Orlando Florida (Disney Grand Floridian). That trip we had the X5 save us from a near collision with the automatic evasion feature.

This year we stayed 2 weeks at the Grand Floridian doing all the Disney adventures. I am pleased to report we had no issues or close calls. Washington DC roads are crap but I think the road construction in Orlando’s i4 is even worse.

(Pic of clean BMW leaving home)

The X5 50i M-Sport was a dream once again. This year I didn’t have one issue or need to reboot the iDrive with its latest firmware. In fact we had the GPS running the entire time and it performed perfectly. It kept us notified of all the road work and traffic accidents in real time. It was even spot on accurate with its reports.

I owned the left lane south of Virginia on i95 south all the way to Florida. Locked the ACC in at 85mph with quick blast up to 100mph+ often when roads were clear and open. Zero drama and practically boring at triple digits. The automatic steering was perfectly designed for these long stretches of open high way and held the center of the Lane with out any ping-ponging or jerking. It really does alleviate a lot of fatigue.
The power delivery is addictive and makes 85mph feel like 40mph when doing it for hours on end. It’s a Autobahn cruiser for sure. I had to blast around or away from some trouble makers and the V8TT leaves them all way behind you. Some tried to keep up but after awhile didn’t have the endurance and fell back. Weather conditions were better this year with mainly rain in the north east and sun down south. Last year I only had 250 miles on the odometer. This year my engine was broke in with 2500 miles on the odometer and had its first oil change before leaving. The engine felt a touch stronger and smoother. MPG were great for how we were driving. My wife even drove around cars at 90mph in Ecco mode and she thought it was plenty fast. I took it out of Ecco mode for her and she became a Predator hunting and overtaking any car in front of her.
We mainly drove in “comfort“ and “adaptive“. Sport + was activated a few times and really felt alive and more aggressive to the point it was overkill performance for a car loaded down with luggage. The acceleration was so sharp it threw around the luggage and kids stuff too much. The beast unleashed was not always what you wanted on trips like this.

This year I came prepared to have a clean car in Florida. I used waterless car wash spray and lots of microfiber towels at our stop in Georgia. I was out at 6am in the parking lot of our hotel detailing the Carbon Black X5 and when I was done it looked show ready. The other old guys packing up their cars had to come over and comment how stunning the X5 looked and asked about if it was new/price/etc... It was very nice and every one was kind.

(Pic at “South of the Border” SC. You can’t make pics like these up)

When we pulled into the front of the Grand Floridian, the valet parking attendances all came over to check it out and comment if I just washed it as most vehicles are filthy by the time they check in. Comments from “Damn that is sweet” to “we haven’t seen many of these yet”.

Car spotting reports: There was one X7 40i in our parking lot and my X5 50i M-Sport. Not too many BMW’s this year. Only one 911 and a few older Audi Q5/Q7’s. A few Tesla’s are alway there. Everything else was minivan,Escalades, RX450, etc.... I did notice by keeping my vehicle clean and parking away, most vehicles would park around me but not directly next to me.

You really get to know a car on long trips like this. Long stretches of highway from freezing to 90 degrees. City driving with crappy road conditions, bugs, pot holes, construction, etc... This is truly cross country exploring with unknown variables along the way. The BMW once again solidified the best luxury vehicle we have ever taken on this same trip. Comfort of the seats with the Merino leather and massage is next level comfort. Climate controls were set it once and forget it. Heated and cooled seats automatically turned on as per climate rules.

I used the BMW Connected app a lot checking on my vehicle via Remote 3D view.

Selecting individual camera views from the 3D view was also very helpful.
Morning sunrise via rear camera.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-15-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 27
wtwo317864.00
RVAGuy166.00
Paladin15456.00
Xeno313.00
Auricom4349.50
Ilyam5888.50
Cooltones241.00
ifr1196.50
thereef5101163.00
1230vani637.00
jphcbpa299.50
mcsa65.00
emargul204.50
chicagofan0018923.00
BOGX4M46.00
goodNIGHT106.50
dazzapb1045.50
cfm56d7b5849.00
gen1md16.00
Jenya B144.00
      02-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Welcome home and thanks for the road report. I trust by DC roads you were referring to the Beltway. No one drives into DC traveling on 95.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Good to hear the positive feedback on the X5! It reinforces the comfort of the merino with massage and the overall performance of the car on a long trip. Funny enough, my wife and I were at Disney's Hollywood Studio park this past Wednesday. Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Great review.
I know it's not a good topic to discuss, but as much as you can, can you comment on the drive evasion feature you had to unfortunately experience.
It would be good to know what the feature did to keep you out of harms way.

Also do you mind sharing what waterless wash you used. I am sure the car would have insects, dirt, mud what not. I am feeling tensed about using straight up waterless to scoop up all that using MFs. Any info you can share will be helpful.

Thanks for a detailed write up.
Is it just the speed or is it also the acceleration you have to keep in control during the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Good to hear the positive feedback on the X5! It reinforces the comfort of the merino with massage and the overall performance of the car on a long trip. Funny enough, my wife and I were at Disney's Hollywood Studio park this past Wednesday. Thanks for the post.
We were there on Wed the 4th. Did the Droid Depot, Smugglers run, etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Great review.
I know it's not a good topic to discuss, but as much as you can, can you comment on the drive evasion feature you had to unfortunately experience.
It would be good to know what the feature did to keep you out of harms way.

Also do you mind sharing what waterless wash you used. I am sure the car would have insects, dirt, mud what not. I am feeling tensed about using straight up waterless to scoop up all that using MFs. Any info you can share will be helpful.

Thanks for a detailed write up.
Is it just the speed or is it also the acceleration you have to keep in control during the break-in period.

The waterless wash is be McKees37.

https://www.mckees37.com/waterless-car-wash.html

This stuff took the rain spots from the previous days drive completely away. You must use a lot and turn your microfiber towels over often but it removed all the dirt and grime and left no fine scratches on my “Carbon Black” paint. I will always take this on any road trips.

Last year I didn’t really follow any beak-in other than no launch control. I used little to no oil for the entire trip while breaking in the first 2200 miles. This trip with new oil also shows the same.

Here is the link to last years trip that explains what happened. I believe I was the first to have this feature work on our G05 X5’s in the real world.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580609
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
We were there on Wed the 4th. Did the Droid Depot, Smugglers run, etc...
Were you lucky enough to do the Rise of the Resistance? I wasn't
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Were you lucky enough to do the Rise of the Resistance? I wasn't

Nada. The lottery system que is too random and I think they will tweak it again.
We did everything else. Smugglers run twice in a row.

Wednesday morning from our room on our way to Hollywood. Two weeks this year and we still didn’t do everything we wanted and why we go every year. Awesome vacation.

Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Thanks for the update, nice to hear that the gremlins were not present with the latest firmware update.

"it was overkill performance for a car loaded down with luggage. The acceleration was so sharp it threw around the luggage and kids stuff too much. "

What about the kids themselves?

Also, pic of post-return trip X5?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
We love the Grand Floridian, we get down there about twice a year because we are DVC Owners there. Can’t wait to take my new X5 down there.

Speaking of Disney, have you ridden the Pandora Flight of Passage? You are riding a giant banshee and you can feel it breathing in and out as you ride. I have the same feeling with my X5’s massaging seats! It feels like I am driving something that is breathing.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
Thanks for the update, nice to hear that the gremlins were not present with the latest firmware update.

"it was overkill performance for a car loaded down with luggage. The acceleration was so sharp it threw around the luggage and kids stuff too much. "

What about the kids themselves?

Also, pic of post-return trip X5?
Kids are use to it. They get stuffed in my 911 and M2 Competition. These are “Daddy’s race cars”. I went from 89 degrees to 17 today. Too cold to wash the X5 until Sunday with 40 degrees forecasted. I will bring out the foam gun for a super thorough cleaning. X5 is filthy with a full day of rain from South Carolina to PA. Traction and ride on the 20” RunFlats were excellent. Some of the construction holes in Florida and DC were unavoidable and the wheel/tire combo soaked them up as good as expected without damage.
I didn’t monitor the mpg but I think I got better this time around and it seems to be very good around that 80mph to 90mph. I didn’t ever stress about the need to get gas and only got it when we stopped and at that those long intervals we only needed around 8-12 gallons.

FYI: The rear alcantara head rest were a big hit with the kids. Really helped position the headrest to a more comfortable position. I highly recommend them if you have kids or just want to posh out the rear.

WiFi hotspot also worked flawless with 5 devices attached. Not one drop out the entire way down the eastern coast. I streamed Pandora through a lot while both kids streamed Disney + on their iPads.
The voice command also worked flawless finding McDonalds along our route by command. I really tested it because I had the time and it did weather and other commands well. I also had it do Caring Car and everything worked great except my panno shade doesn’t automatically close as it is checked off in the menu. Perhaps a firmware omission??? Regardless, everything worked well.

While my wife was driving about 85mph in NC, there was a M2 Competition very similar to mine rip by us. I just had enough time to grab a quick pic. It was really moving and a cool sight to see and hear its exhaust.

A Hilton room view from a overnight midway point. I used the BMW app a lot to check on who was parking around my X5.

From the BMW app remote 3D view at South of the Border SC.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-15-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
We love the Grand Floridian, we get down there about twice a year because we are DVC Owners there. Can’t wait to take my new X5 down there.

Speaking of Disney, have you ridden the Pandora Flight of Passage? You are riding a giant banshee and you can feel it breathing in and out as you ride. I have the same feeling with my X5’s massaging seats! It feels like I am driving something that is breathing.
We fastpassed the Flight of Passage 4 times over the two weeks. The line for that ride was outrageous without fastpass. I also love Soarin as it’s one of my all time favorites. We just missed the opening of Mickeys Runaway Railroad this month which is suppose to be cutting edge. It was National Cheerleading and Dance Competition this past two weeks in Orlando so we had 1000’s young cheerleaders from all over the country at all the parks. They went around in packs and had a special dance event at the Castle. My son is a bit young but some day he will request we visit WDW the same time again.

We also booked the VIP Happily Ever After viewing which was “next level” incredible and I have seen it a dozen times before but this is a have to do viewing every year.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-14-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa299.50
      02-15-2020, 02:58 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Great write-up. Disney and X5's, doesn't get any better than that

What did you think of the GF? We are DVC and try and get over once every couple of years, but based in the UK I can only dream of driving my own X5 around Florida.

We stayed at Beach Club Villas last May next to Epcot. Must have done Soarin 10+ times, and was really looking forward to FoP. 20 seconds in I felt sick and nearly puked. Spent the rest of the ride with my eyes closed It's the only ride, other than mission space orange, where I've felt sick. Gutted.

Interesting to read about the collision avoidance. I wonder what the exact criteria is for it to engage. I've seen evidence that the front radar is monitoring cars 2 or 3 spaces in front when stationary, I guess by bouncing the signal under the cars. Sounds like it was doing the same, or using the KAFAS camera, or both, for it to start taking action before the car directly in front responded?

Last edited by ifr; 02-15-2020 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Great write-up. Disney and X5's, doesn't get any better than that

What did you think of the GF? We are DVC and try and get over once every couple of years, but based in the UK I can only dream of driving my own X5 around Florida.

We stayed at Beach Club Villas last May next to Epcot. Must have done Soarin 10+ times, and was really looking forward to FoP. 20 seconds in I felt sick and nearly puked. Spent the rest of the ride with my eyes closed It's the only ride, other than mission space orange, where I've felt sick. Gutted.

Interesting to read about the collision avoidance. I wonder what the exact criteria is for it to engage. I've seen evidence that the front radar is monitoring cars 2 or 3 spaces in front when stationary, I guess by bouncing the signal under the cars. Sounds like it was doing the same, or using the KAFAS camera, or both, for it to start taking action before the car directly in front responded?
GF is awesome. We always stay at club level where you have your private food and drinks all included at the club lounge in your building. It also has higher security to even get in. Basically you eat and drink any time and as much as you want. This even includes alcohol. Service is 5 star all the way and the entire staff can’t do enough for you. The attention to detail is in its own league and I have stayed at a lot of high end hotels around the country. Disney is in its own league. IMO.

We also love the Poly as it feels very different from everything else like the you’re staying on the Hawaiian islands. We also stay at club level there and it has similar benefits but the food has more of a Polynesian flair to it. Also interesting is all the staff including the housekeeping is Polynesian. I think the GF might be a tick more upscale but quality between the two deluxe resorts are the same. We like to be on a monorail resort as we found it is a lot more convenient and even the small ferry boats that go directly to your resorts are more personal and interesting. The skyline this year is a new twist but it’s still buggy and will never replace the efficiency of the monorail.
We probably will alternate between the Polly and GF every year. It’s all what your after. Obviously the GF punches you in the face with its opulence and I love all the live music every night. The Polly is more layer back and beach oriented. There is no bad choice.. I took a leisurely drive around some of the Disney property by the golf courses and Magic Kingdom in my clean/detailed X5 one morning just to say I did. Disney roads are wide and perfectly smooth with bright white line markers. It was like driving in a BMW commercial with the sunroof open and sweet warm air rushing in. Car spotting is also a lot of fun around Orlando.
It’s why we go every year for at least 2 weeks in the winter. My goal is eventually stay a solid month.

FYI : FoP gets some people sick because of the 3D glasses. It can mess with your perception of space and throw it off slightly enough to give some people headaches and nausea. Some find if you adjust the glasses a little bit it can help. Mission to Mars made my wife a bit queasy and she won’t get on that one again. Mission to Earth was a lot better. Rock n Roll Rollercoaster, Mine Train, Space Mountain are all fine. My biggest issue was the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. It beat the hell out of my night hip against the edge of the seat as I was sitting at the last seat in the car. It also snapped my back/neck unnecessarily. I am 6’ 3” 210lbs and ride all kinds of ATV’s and water bikes and never a issue. The Dinosaur ride and it’s articulating trackless cart has to injure older people. Brutal.

Why we like to drive.
Jacksonville FL bridge via from the X5.

Climbing up to the bridge.

Bridge is incredible with amazing vistas.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-15-2020 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
ifr1196.50
      02-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Thanks Mystro, great report. And I completely agree, the X5 is an over-the-road drivers car. The software updates have solved every gripe I had a year ago, and I don't mind rolling the odometer on the longer drivers. Like you stated, eases fatigue and I arrive rested after hours of driving.

And I've stayed at the GF previously, it's a great resort choice for the full Disney experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post

FYI : FoP gets some people sick because of the 3D glasses. It can mess with your perception of space and throw it off slightly enough to give some people headaches and nausea. Some find if you adjust the glasses a little bit it can help. Mission to Mars made my wife a bit queasy and she won’t get on that one again. Mission to Earth was a lot better. Rock n Roll Rollercoaster, Mine Train, Space Mountain are all fine. My biggest issue was the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. It beat the hell out of my night hip against the edge of the seat as I was sitting at the last seat in the car. It also snapped my back/neck unnecessarily. I am 6’ 3” 210lbs and ride all kinds of ATV’s and water bikes and never a issue. The Dinosaur ride and it’s articulating trackless cart has to injure older people. Brutal.

My wife and I did the Harry Potter broomstick ride at Universal Studios in California a couple of years ago. We both came off that ride (well its not really a ride as you don't actually go anywhere, all simulated) and could hardly walk without going in circles, both had upset stomachs Just by chance it happened to be our last ride, dang good thing too.

We did the Haunted Hotel elevator drop at Disney World, you guys must have done that too, its a great feeling of weightlessness but it was just too dang short. That's my complaint on all the rides, we like them so much but wished they were a minute or two longer.

Tell me, on a long trip like that, how long do you keep your seat massage on? Same for the wife?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Tell me, on a long trip like that, how long do you keep your seat massage on? Same for the wife?
This year we broke the 1100 miles one way to Florida with one over night stay. That’s a very good chunk of driving but only had me using the massagers about 2 times on “Back massage” mid strength. Last year when we did the entire 1100 miles in one day to beat a ice storm, we had the massager on 6-8 times. I do most of the driving with my wife taking a few hours to give me a brake. Weather and road conditions also are a factor with fatigue on long trips. Ice storm in DC at 2am after 13 hours of driving is about as stressful as it gets and last year we had that perfect storm. This year was easy with just some rain. Neither my wife or myself had any back pain even after 9 hours of driving. I do adjust the lumbar a few times. At Disney we walked no less than 8 miles a day, every day according to both our phones. The longest was 12 miles one day and my back was sore from that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Amazing pics, thanks for sharing.

We are back this summer visiting Clearwater/Gulf coast but not quite the same in a dodge caravan

We've been to the Poly a fair few times to eat at O'Hana (breakfast/dinner) but not stayed yet. It's on the list but we need to wait until the kids are old enough to share their own studio as there's no 1/2 bedrooms. Love the vibe there, and really fancy wilderness lodge for christmas too. Awesome theming.

Thanks for the FoP tip. I don't think we are doing AK this year as mainly focusing on Universal/Sea World parks and MNSSHP if it works for out dates, but will give it another go the next time we are there. Only on FP mind, don't fancy those queues

Agree about Dinosaur. It's fun but you feel like you've been in a fight when you get off. Manta is my favourite in the Orlando area. Can't beat the feeling when you get 'air' at the top of a bend. Really looking forward to Hagrid's
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #19
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

You only had 2500 miles on the odometer before you left? Dang, I thought I had low mileage at 8,000 after 16 months (of course, minus 1-2 months from being in the shop ).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #20
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
You only had 2500 miles on the odometer before you left? Dang, I thought I had low mileage at 8,000 after 16 months (of course, minus 1-2 months from being in the shop ).
Yea, I own a lot of vehicles for different purposes so it defers the miles on all of them. It’s also why I buy my vehicles outright as high mileage is never a factor. Less than 3k a year is about what I will put on most. I purchased this X5 and a M2C this past year and I am still in the initial “M” breaking in stage of my new M2C. It’s truck weather for the next few months so my BMW’s will rest in a warm garage until the cinders are off the roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=MystroX5;25809064]Nada. The lottery system que is too random and I think they will tweak it again.
We did everything else. Smugglers run twice in a row.

Well, seems this article explains the issue with Rise of the Resistance - https://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...se-resistances

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #22
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Great write up! Awesome to see Orlando through the eyes of those vacationing here. My wife helped open Harry Potter and my Mom worked at Disney in marketing in the 70's. Needless to say Disney was a big part of my upbringing. Did you guys rent boats any? It's an inexpensive fun way to see Disney from the water .

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...torized-boats/

One of my best friends recently turned in his X5 MSport, they are such beasts and wicked fast! Congrats on an awesome vacation!

Next time you are here and want to see a cool part of Orlando - check out Winter Park - Park Avenue, some really fun little restaurants and very nice area (largest collection of Tiffany stained glass - Morse Museum). And you can take the Winter Park Boat tour and see some really amazing homes and hear about the history of New Yorkers who founded the area back in the late 1800's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0