BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
orangecat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Order process question

When doing a factory build, can someone explain the typical order process? Do dealers ask for a deposit? If so, is there a standard amount? Is a purchase order signed before it is ordered? Anything else I should know or helpful tips to make sure it goes smoothly would be most appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
bodybybalco86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive

My experience:

Go on bmw's site and start a build. At the end they will give you a build code. You can either print it out or just give the build code to your sales adviser. He will write your deal on a page with options you picked out. The msrp, your discount, your rebates ect. and the final price of the vehicle. Then you sign that page. I put down a $500 deposit to secure an allocation spot. I've read some don't put any money down at all. Then you fill out some BMW financial service papers and your SA will put them into a folder. When your car comes in, you finalize the paper work and sign your contract.

Edit: You are not obligated to take delivery of the vehicle until you sign your contract. After you have inspected the vehicle and it is to your liking and to your build spec, you will sit down with finance and finish your paper work.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

For a custom build and if you're buying (not leasing), yes, a deposit of about $2,500 is required in NYC. The dealership will tell you it is non-refundable; however, if you discover issues at delivery, you can dispute and get your deposit back. Bodybybalco86 is right. The vehicle is not yours until you sign all the paperwork. If you were to purchase a vehicle, you would need to sign a purchase order first stating your build, trade in value (if applicable), negotiated price, rebates, estimated tax/fees/etc. You will also need to complete a form for BMW financial service so that they can run your credit, etc.

For a lease, there is no purchase order but you first will sign a document that shows the negotiated price, rebates, tax, fees, etc. The sheet will show an estimate of your monthly lease payment and the upfront payment. My dealership in Long Island, NY asked me for a small deposit of about $1,000. You will also need to complete a form for a credit run.

For both purchase and lease, the dealership should provide you with a build sheet with all of your specs and a production number associated with it. You will need to double check that to make sure the build is right. When the car arrives at the dealership, you will sit down with the CA and BMW FS to finalize the paper work. Prior to delivery, your CA should tell you the VIN number so that you can get car insured on the date of your delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
orangecat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thank you both. This is very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Using the BMWUSA Build tool is hit and miss and you may be missing out on certain options or colors options. You're better off using an ordering guide (https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1512761) and working from there.

However, the order guide that is pinned in the thread above is not the most current so look for post 344 (page 16) of that thread for the current version. You'll notice some new color choices

In summary,

1. Create your build
2. Agree on price (including agreeing on the money factor since dealers will mark that up)
3. Sign an agreement which is non-binding in the US. Place a deposit which varies from $0-$5,000 which is refundable despite what the dealer may1` tell you. This is a good faith deposit and I don't think I've paid more than $1,000 unless I was doing something special through individual that required BMWNA approval beforehand. Normal Individual options that are on the order guide are normally considered 'standard' and follow the normal process although may add time to your delivery.
4. Wait
5. Wait
6. Wait
7. Take delivery and inspect the car.
8. Verify paperwork (is the deal still the same or did they forget about the agreed upon terms.
9. Sign paperwork and drive off
10. If you're a BMWCCA member, apply for your rebate if you qualify.
Appreciate 3