BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #155
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2020

New build date moved up and plant still open

I was originally week 15. Moved to 18. And now moved to 14 which is Monday.

I just talked to BMW USA. The plant closes next Friday April 3rd when I the second sift finishes.

They have been working thought the logistics of getting built what they can with stateside parts.

He said I may get moved again but at this point they are basically set for pre shut down builds.

He also said that the announced shut town was two build weeks but they are planning on opening .5 weeks early unless things change.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #156
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgatl View Post

I just talked to BMW USA. The plant closes next Friday April 3rd when I the second sift finishes.

They have been working thought the logistics of getting built what they can with stateside parts.

He said I may get moved again but at this point they are basically set for pre shut down builds.

He also said that the announced shut town was two build weeks but they are planning on opening .5 weeks early unless things change.
So they will only close for about 1.5 working weeks?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #157
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateeke81 View Post
So they will only close for about 1.5 working weeks?
That’s is what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #158
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Does not matter how long Spartenburg wants to close - it all comes down to when German factories reopen.Without engines, transmissions, electronics & lots of other parts they are not going build anything in SC.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #159
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Does not matter how long Spartenburg wants to close - it all comes down to when German factories reopen.Without engines, transmissions, electronics & lots of other parts they are not going build anything in SC.
Exactly.

Germany has some strict laws around the safety and well being of their workers (as we have here in Australia and ALL countries should!), so I expect closures to last 3-6 months, or until a vaccine or cure is made available.

You will be lucky to get your car this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #160
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgatl View Post

Looking at the delivery question topic, this information is wrong and they are shut down already.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #161
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Exactly.

Germany has some strict laws around the safety and well being of their workers (as we have here in Australia and ALL countries should!), so I expect closures to last 3-6 months, or until a vaccine or cure is made available.

You will be lucky to get your car this year.
I don't believe factories will close for 3 - 6 months. They will introduce strict rules and produce less. They way of work has to be reorganised. Even here in Belgium many factories are still open. Continental in Belgium is still producing for BMW. An economic shutdown for 6 months is in nobody's interest. Hell if that would be the case I think I would be better off as a figure in the corona mortality statistics.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:33 AM   #162
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I don't believe factories will close for 3 - 6 months. They will introduce strict rules and produce less. They way of work has to be reorganised. Even here in Belgium many factories are still open. Continental in Belgium is still producing for BMW. An economic shutdown for 6 months is in nobody's interest. Hell if that would be the case I think I would be better off as a figure in the corona mortality statistics.
Of course not. Otherwise there won’t be an economy left. Most of closed factories will restart in April. Or they simply won’t survive. Like you said, with strict measures.

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #163
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It astounds me how people under-estimate this virus, and the value of economies and cars over life. Enough said.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #164
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

Quote:
It astounds me how people under-estimate this virus, and the value of economies and cars over life. Enough said.
You are missing the point. Noone is underestimating the virus. It's just that the planet is overpopulated and this things will come more often in future. If we stop the planet every time for half a year, it will result in total chaos.
Or there is another point that might sound more reasonable - Why should then the farmers and all others in food production chain work so that we can have food on the plate? Should they be discriminated?

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #165
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
You are missing the point. Noone is underestimating the virus. It's just that the planet is overpopulated and this things will come more often in future. If we stop the planet every time for half a year, it will result in total chaos.
Or there is another point that might sound more reasonable - Why should then the farmers and all others in food production chain work so that we can have food on the plate? Should they be discriminated?
Farming wont stop, food is a human necessity and that should be a priority. Are cars? ..especially luxury ones?
The difference between "needs" and "wants" my friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #166
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't really underestimate it. I haven't left the house for 2 weeks now
Priority is survival and for modern man that's impossible without a running economy. Modern farmers won't farm very long if everything shuts down for months. All industries are interwoven. By products from industry x are essential for industry y.

I have bills and mortgages to pay. I'm no doctor, nurse and I don't work in the food supply chain. If this takes very long and everything shuts down for months on a row many people will have a serious problem. I already have much less work than 2 weeks ago. How many times can a government inject billions and billons? I don't think they can do that every 6 months.

There is definitely a need to seek a very good balance between the two so the cure becomes not worse than the outbreak.
The economy must reorganise itself. Mass events, restaurants, parties, ... forbidden for now. We must change the way we interact with other people. But any other work can go on with very strict rules, testing, social distancing and common sense. And everybody must apply those rules. The world must reboot with this virus loaded and not go in shutdown. And wait for the virusscanner update But in the meantime trying to keep everything running as good as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #167
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Quote:
I don't really underestimate it. I haven't left the house for 2 weeks now
Priority is survival and for modern man that's impossible without a running economy. Modern farmers won't farm very long if everything shuts down for months. All industries are interwoven. By products from industry x are essential for industry y.

I have bills and mortgages to pay. I'm no doctor, nurse and I don't work in the food supply chain. If this takes very long and everything shuts down for months on a row many people will have a serious problem. I already have much less work than 2 weeks ago. How many times can a government inject billions and billons? I don't think they can do that every 6 months.

There is definitely a need to seek a very good balance between the two so the cure becomes not worse than the outbreak.
The economy must reorganise itself. Mass events, restaurants, parties, ... forbidden for now. We must change the way we interact with other people. But any other work can go on with very strict rules, testing, social distancing and common sense. And everybody must apply those rules. The world must reboot with this virus loaded and not go in shutdown. And wait for the virusscanner update But in the meantime trying to keep everything running as good as possible.
This.
Sure in a perfect world we would shut _everything_ down for half a year. But people working in the non-essential industries like car manufacturing need to pay bills and buy food too.
For me personally, it's fortunate that I can work from home and am currently freelancing for a company that allows its external consultants to do so. Same for the wife. But I know quite some people who are going to be in trouble if the current quarantine rules stay as is for an extended period of time.
So yes, balance!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #168
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Farming wont stop, food is a human necessity and that should be a priority. Are cars? ..especially luxury ones?
The difference between "needs" and "wants" my friend.
This is kind a simplistic trollish comment.

The reality is that for every dollar spent into an economy it drives $65 in revenue pumped into the economy. The economy "needs" spend that is also based on "wants" or the system shuts down and very few "needs" are met. Im very thankful that there are people out there waiting on their luxury items post pandemic. If they go away, thats when we are in real trouble.

This kind of thinking is just completely devoid of any logical view of economics. Pretty easy to prove given the Great Depression is pretty well documented for its impact.

From the bottom up, how many people do you think are an in the auto industry providing a service? How many people do you think it takes to build that 'unnecessary' car? Let's say the simple math is 10...at a rate of 50,000.00 a year. that means the car pumps 500,000.00 into the economy. And cars on the road isn't a priority?...where do you think all those people are going on the freeway during rush hour?...maybe work?...but who "needs" a car. How many people do you think perish as a result of the economy focusing on these needs only?

What does 20% or 30% unemployment look like in the world you are suggesting? Thats what it would be if 'wants' just went away. I hope that none of us ever get the chance to find out. It will make what we are going through right now look like a cake walk.

Enough said, my friend.

Last edited by Skilly; 03-30-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #169
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Gents. This is an emergency. But it’s not the zombie apocalypse. This is what I do for a living. I’m taking it seriously but I’m looking more sleep over my build delay than worrying about my family starving.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #170
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

My company has been modeling economic impact of this. The solution will have to be a mix of returning to work and safety measures. That needs to happen in one to two months or the dominos start to fall quickly. BMWs are a luxury item, but as noted, many jobs down the food chain depend on the sales of them. Corporations are not just stocks, they are bonds also. If bonds start to default (and some are in trouble already) then it’s goodbye 401Ks, pension plans, health insurance, and on and on. I’m actually optimistic that we will come out of this sooner than later. Days feel like weeks with as quickly as news is changing. Do all we can to help health care workers - they need out support!
Appreciate 3
Unit218.50
      03-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #171
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
I am in America and say the same damn thing everyday since this virus has come to light.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #172
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
This is kind a simplistic trollish comment.

The reality is that for every dollar spent into an economy it drives $65 in revenue pumped into the economy. The economy "needs" spend that is also based on "wants" or the system shuts down and very few "needs" are met. Im very thankful that there are people out there waiting on their luxury items post pandemic. If they go away, thats when we are in real trouble.

This kind of thinking is just completely devoid of any logical view of economics. Pretty easy to prove given the Great Depression is pretty well documented for its impact.

From the bottom up, how many people do you think are an in the auto industry providing a service? How many people do you think it takes to build that 'unnecessary' car? Let's say the simple math is 10...at a rate of 50,000.00 a year. that means the car pumps 500,000.00 into the economy. And cars on the road isn't a priority?...where do you think all those people are going on the freeway during rush hour?...maybe work?...but who "needs" a car. How many people do you think perish as a result of the economy focusing on these needs only?

What does 20% or 30% unemployment look like in the world you are suggesting? Thats what it would be if 'wants' just went away. I hope that none of us ever get the chance to find out. It will make what we are going through right now look like a cake walk.

Enough said, my friend.
Ouch, simplistic and trollish? .. I think you've over-thinking my post, and the intent wasn't to get into complex economics, this isn't a forum for that kind of discussion.

All I am saying is that people need to re-focus on the things and needs that are important during these times of hardship, and being "worried" or "stressed" about when their new car is going to be delivered should be the least of people's worries.

Relax and stay cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #173
Mlgatl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch, simplistic and trollish? .. I think you've over-thinking my post, and the intent wasn't to get into complex economics, this isn't a forum for that kind of discussion.

All I am saying is that people need to re-focus on the things and needs that are important during these times of hardship, and being "worried" or "stressed" about when their new car is going to be delivered should be the least of people's worries.

Relax and stay cool.
That is trollish. It’s just polite with cute emojis.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:12 AM   #174
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

So between all the economic discussions, has anybody got an update on their build week?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:54 AM   #175
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateeke81 View Post
So between all the economic discussions, has anybody got an update on their build week?
Nope. I called and they said production is stopped until the 19th and everything will be replanned. But I don't know what they really know.
I really hope they just start with the planning where they stopped and not replan everything with the risk of being pushed back many weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #176
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I called and they said production is stopped until the 19th and everything will be replanned. But I don't know what they really know.
I really hope they just start with the planning where they stopped and not replan everything with the risk of being pushed back many weeks.
So your dealer doesn't know anything either as the startup is foreseen for April 12th and not 19th.
I really hope they start where they stopped as the wait is already long enough without this setback.
Appreciate 0