BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

M50i options on X5M

I've been waiting for the f95 to become available. Now that it is, I was kind of surprised to see some of the options for the M50i not available on the F95, such as acoustic glass, glass controls, towing hitch, different colors/interiors.

Is it possible to order any of these items on the F95, either via individual program or other means?

The M50i vs. f95 choice is not necessarily an obvious one. As someone who prefers AND rather than OR, i am curious.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I've been waiting for the f95 to become available. Now that it is, I was kind of surprised to see some of the options for the M50i not available on the F95, such as acoustic glass, glass controls, towing hitch, different colors/interiors.

Is it possible to order any of these items on the F95, either via individual program or other means?

The M50i vs. f95 choice is not necessarily an obvious one. As someone who prefers AND rather than OR, i am curious.
Along with a number of other members on this forum, I can confirm that you are correct that a number of M50i options are NOT currently offered as option on the F95, such as:

Glass controls (although i wouldn’t give up the new X5M gear shift, i would like the crystal iDrive dial/knob).

Acoustic glass

LED Sky Lounge (not included in the F95 executive package, which is the biggest downer for me)

Shadowline grill surround trim and side vents on the non-Competition version of the F95 (a non-issue for those of us getting the Comp version)

There are a few other options I’m forgetting other than the tow hitch, but its been a while since I played with the M50i configurator. The first three above were the only ones I really cared about.

I’ve seen others add the glass controls post-production (search the G05 threads for lengthy discussions about this) and I’m sure IND will offer high gloss black grill surrounds and side vents for the non-comp model soon if they don’t already (they do for the X3M), but I doubt there are any after-market options for the LED Sky Lounge. Not sure how the acoustic glass works (integral or coated)...if the latter, perhaps there is an aftermarket solution there as well.

I suspect the 2021 model of the F95 will likely offer some of these along with additional individual color options.

Last edited by GSG5; 03-23-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I will need to check with my SA to see if things like the hitch can be a port-installed accessory.

The other aspect is, that despite my lust for a M car, should I just racechip a M50i and live without the suspension settings and cross-drilled brakes etc.

When will MY 2021 start showing up? Maybe it's an unknowable given this current environment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I will need to check with my SA to see if things like the hitch can be a port-installed accessory.

The other aspect is, that despite my lust for a M car, should I just racechip a M50i and live without the suspension settings and cross-drilled brakes etc.

When will MY 2021 start showing up? Maybe it's an unknowable given this current environment.
Good question. It’s one that I’ve only recently started considering myself if it means that I may pick up a few options I really wanted (e.g. LED Sky Lounge). Before the Spartanburg plant was shut down was announced last week, production on my F95 was scheduled to begin week 14 or ~April 6th. Thus, I was expecting delivery in late April.

Obviously, that’s all out the window now. If the revised ETA on my car turns out to more like June/July now, I’d seriously consider just waiting until August to get a 2021 with a couple more options (not saying 2021s will be available in August). But who knows when we’ll really have any clarity on this - I suspect BMW themselves isn’t sure yet. We’re living in the Wild West right now, so I’m keeping all options on the table.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I would imagine the order guides for the 2021 X5M will be out within a few months.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #6
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Also I believe the comfort seats are not available either.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

It's a shame buyers have to choose.

They have approached the M as a 'no compromises speed & handling machine', but being an SUV, its compromised by its nature. There is a reason someone is looking at an X5M and not an M5... Those same people would appreciate some luxury features and are willing to pay for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

They have approached the M as a 'no compromises speed & handling machine', but being an SUV, its compromised by its nature. There is a reason someone is looking at an X5M and not an M5... Those same people would appreciate some luxury features and are willing to pay for them.
I wholeheartedly agree with your comment. As I mentioned in a different post on this topic, my theory is that BMW knows this but is holding back some options to release for future in MYs to continue to spur demand over the life cycle of the model generation.

But it sure is infuriating to early adopters who want it now and, like you said, are willing to pay for it now. What I’m not will to do, however, is buy a 2020 F95 and then buy a 2022 MY 18 months later because the Executive Package in 2022 MY finally includes the god damn Sky Lounge...like it should have had in 2020.

Instead, given the necessary delays caused by the virus anyway, if the 2021 MY offers some of these other options in the next few months, I may just cancel my 2020 on order and wait 4-6 additional months and get a MY2021 with those options. Hanging on to my cash for an extra few months doesn’t sound so bad at the moment for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep

What doesn't make sense to me is the rationale for not allowing shadow line trim or gloss black wheels on one model but on the other. Also seems like glass controls or acoustic glass would/should be standard on a flagship model...or an option not available on lower-ranking trims.

As for a trailer hitch, I get the marketing pitch that it's a performance track car, but not everyone wants to buy a second car for hauling something. A second car for me will have no roof and only two seats, so is it too much to ask to have an OEM hitch?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What doesn't make sense to me is the rationale for not allowing shadow line trim or gloss black wheels on one model but on the other. Also seems like glass controls or acoustic glass would/should be standard on a flagship model...or an option not available on lower-ranking trims.

As for a trailer hitch, I get the marketing pitch that it's a performance track car, but not everyone wants to buy a second car for hauling something. A second car for me will have no roof and only two seats, so is it too much to ask to have an OEM hitch?
Totally. I noticed all of those option gaps too (although shadow line is not an issue for me as I want the comp version anyway...but I get it). Yea, like I said, it’s very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

^^X2^^^. These are SUV’s first and everything else second. By nature a SUV is a compromise to do everything well and can’t be treated as extreme as a sports car.
I am sure Lockheed Martin can make a toaster fly but what’s the point if it doesn’t make decent toast? BMW is missing the mark by not fully optioning up the entire X5/X6 M line as in the end it’s a Luxury SUV that goes fast.
Losing the ambient lighting on the back of the driver/passenger seats, Travel comfort modular system, and USBc charging ports are a major fail on the M seats. I can’t believe BMW settles on a black plastic shell instead of engineering these premium items in as the rest of the rear design is done very well.

Last edited by MystroX5; 04-05-2020 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 1