BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #749
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

C'mon Littlebear. You've single-handedly ruined a great thread by turning it into a personal crusade and shit-show.

Please just let it go, and contribute in other threads.
Appreciate 2
premier3is1627.00
Maynard3804.50
      03-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #750
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
... Folks, I realize my main argument is with the pols & other bosses of the cops.
How many drivers speed? How many of them are suicidal, or even negligent?
Murf
That was 'me' Murf, not "Salty" Murf.
I've tried to calm & redirect this thread a few times.

"C'mon Littlebear. You've single-handedly ruined a great thread by turning it into a personal crusade and shit-show."

I thought my first two questions were decent, if incomplete. Then the messenger got attacked:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=748

But since dmatre asked like a gentleman, my part of this argument is over.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-06-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #751
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
"

So let's cool out.

Murf

Fair enough. Sounds good to me.
      03-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #752
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Question: More likely to pull over cars with a vanity plate or dont even notice?
So back on track - I know I should be hoping for a real factual answer, but really just wanting to hear that these get you wicked ticket action
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #753
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
So back on track - I know I should be hoping for a real factual answer, but really just wanting to hear that these get you wicked ticket action
haha it is a serious question! I have an assigned (random #) plate on a custom design right now in NY, no influx in tickets, but just switched to some... douchier text . Lets see what the cops think.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
vreihen1614883.50
      03-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #754
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
How do I get a PBA card? lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #755
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
haha it is a serious question! I have an assigned (random #) plate on a custom design right now in NY, no influx in tickets, but just switched to some... douchier text . Lets see what the cops think.
I've never given any thought to personal/vanity plates.....I have one on my 993 and my wife has one on her Mini.....I think some of them are pretty funny.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      03-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #756
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
How do I get a PBA card? lol
There's two ways to be on the team, one is to be on the team and the other is to be ON the team.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      03-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #757
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Do Leos carry asp's anymore? Batons? I have one. Could I smack someone with one?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #758
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

@Sedan_Clan how much is the ticket going to be for COVIDIDIOTS you find driving after quarantine ?

Asking for a friend

Related: who is the bigger COVIDIOT? My niece/nephew for bringing their 3yo to my ranch to see the chickens, or me for opening the front door?
      03-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #759
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Do Leos carry asp's anymore? Batons? I have one. Could I smack someone with one?
Most of us carry collapsible batons. I carry an ASP. I also keep a PR24 in the trunk for riot control.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
Murf99314114.00
      03-29-2020, 02:24 AM   #760
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
@Sedan_Clan how much is the ticket going to be for COVIDIDIOTS you find driving after quarantine ?

Asking for a friend

Related: who is the bigger COVIDIOT? My niece/nephew for bringing their 3yo to my ranch to see the chickens, or me for opening the front door?
My dept. doesn't cite for that in the areas we patrol. Only certain municipal PD's are doing dumb stuff like that.

P.S. You for opening the door. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #761
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Curious if there has been any unofficial work to permit narcotics supply lines to stay 'open' (functioning). If they are nearly rioting over toilet paper and N-95s at the Costco, the crack houses must be about ready to explode. Am I being mean to assume that the crackheads and junkies didn't follow guidelines and keep a 3-month supply on hand for just such an occasion?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #762
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Curious if there has been any unofficial work to permit narcotics supply lines to stay 'open' (functioning). If they are nearly rioting over toilet paper and N-95s at the Costco, the crack houses must be about ready to explode. Am I being mean to assume that the crackheads and junkies didn't follow guidelines and keep a 3-month supply on hand for just such an occasion?
Your guess is as good as mine. The criminals have been quiet. Crime is down 40% in my patrol areas.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #763
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear it. That is the most encouraging thing I've heard in a while.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      04-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #764
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

Hamilton police arrest alleged drug dealer — for violating shutdown of non-essential businesses

https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-..._autoplay=true

He was issued the ticket simply because the business he was operating is not considered essential

Hamilton police charged an alleged street drug dealer with violating the COVID-19 emergency declaration for conducting a non-essential business during the pandemic shutdown.

The 29-year-old man was also charged with drug trafficking and proceeds of crime charges.

Members of the Hamilton police drug unit were in the city’s east end when they saw a black Jeep Grand Cherokee being driven in an aggressive manner on Friday. Officers discovered the vehicle was improperly plated and began monitoring its movements, police said.

The officers watched the Jeep stop several times as the driver pulled over to conduct drug transactions as he drove through the entire downtown core, police allege. Shortly before 8:00 p.m., it stopped at a commercial business in the city’s west end, near McMaster University.

A condition under the order includes all non-essential businesses to cease functioning I love this part.

The driver was arrested for drug trafficking. During a search, police said they found further evidence to support criminal charges: cocaine valued at $3,400 divided into a number of small plastic bags, along with $5,690 in Canadian currency and $20 in U.S. currency, police said.

He was then also notified of the unusual charge of violating the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.

“Currently, due to COVID-19, a declaration of emergency has been enacted under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. A condition under the order includes all non-essential businesses to cease functioning,” Const. Jerome Stewart said.

“He was issued the ticket simply because the business he was operating is not considered essential.”

This is the second violation of the province’s COVID-19 business shutdown.

On March 19, a hookah lounge on Upper James St., called the Shisha Kaif Cafe, was visited by Hamilton police after a complaint it was operating as usual. Police officers found evidence it was in violation of the emergency shutdown order, Stewart said.

“We issued the business a ticket as well as a representatives of the business for failing to comply with the order made during the declared emergency.”

In an effort to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 during the global pandemic, the Ontario government ordered the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective March 24.

A list of essential businesses that could remain open included businesses such as grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, gas stations and restaurants providing take out or delivery food.

Also included in the province’s list of essential businesses are beer, wine and liquor stores and licensed cannabis stores.

At the time of the announcement, Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s medical officer of health, said people with “significant dependence issues with respect to alcohol” needed to be considered and that if alcohol was not available, it “would lead to pretty significant health consequences.”

As street drug dealing is not legal in normal circumstances, it cannot be expected to be allowed even under these exceptional circumstances.

If found guilty, the man could face a COVID-19 violation penalty of a $750 fine.

Meanwhile, Hamilton police said the service was notified Monday that a frontline police officer tested positive for COVID-19.

Police said the officer has not had any contact with the community since March 12 and is believed to have contracted the disease within the community.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      04-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #765
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^^^This was what got me wondering, in conjunction with an old emergency briefing for hospital disaster-prep where they highlighted the need for security to repel people wanting to come on site looking for drugs. And of course the desire to get this thread back to page one where it belongs.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #766
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
^^^This was what got me wondering, in conjunction with an old emergency briefing for hospital disaster-prep where they highlighted the need for security to repel people wanting to come on site looking for drugs. And of course the desire to get this thread back to page one where it belongs.
Back in the day that is the kind of charge I would've laid.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #767
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
There is nothing that says the police have to have the lights and or siren on when responding.....I've done it lots of times for a variety of reasons.....the siren does carry a very long way, the other thing I'll mention is "light fixation", people will sometimes drive towards a flashing light, in my experience people will do stupid things when a police car is coming up behind them with the lights and sirens on, until you experience driving a priority response you just can't believe it.
I hate to be this way, but the people that work at clothes retail stores get first pick, people that work at WalMart are getting TP, and cops should be able to speed without explaining why they are speeding (as long as they aren't being unreasonable). I see cops come by me on the Interstate all the time going 90 in the passing lane, and I'm like "yay, now we don't all have to bunch up behind a cop driving 70." Kudos to them IMO.

Every job has its perks.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #768
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

How has Covid-19 changed the way you conduct your business? Also, any additional personal protection?

Quick anecdote. Was driving down the 101 in Carlsbad over the weekend (solo). There was a mobile traffic sign that said "Practice Social Distancing - Beach Closed" and I kid you not there were about 20 people next to the sign and hundreds of people on the beach. There was one lone officer trying to wrangle in the masses of morons. Really felt bad for that guy. It was like the movie 300.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #769
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Curious if there has been any unofficial work to permit narcotics supply lines to stay 'open' (functioning)....
I don't know if it can be called strange or not, but the liquor stores in my nabe are all open.
I think they closed the pot stores in Mass., but not sure.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #770
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
How has Covid-19 changed the way you conduct your business? Also, any additional personal protection?

Quick anecdote. Was driving down the 101 in Carlsbad over the weekend (solo). There was a mobile traffic sign that said "Practice Social Distancing - Beach Closed" and I kid you not there were about 20 people next to the sign and hundreds of people on the beach. There was one lone officer trying to wrangle in the masses of morons. Really felt bad for that guy. It was like the movie 300.
We have some personal protective equipment (..namely N95 masks and latex gloves; the latter we've always kept with us anyway). The truth of the matter is that being a first responder means that we put ourselves in the line of fire because we're dealing with HIV/AIDS/Hep ABC/etc. infected members of the non-homeless/homeless population. As far as the COVID flu is concerned, we are being less proactive and we aren't really making many obs arrests. The warrant amount that we will arrest for jumped up to $50k (...$75k if we want to book at the main jail rather than the station jail). I came into contact with COVID flu in the jails in January and I didn't get sick. I figure it was a combination of my natural immune system (...I rarely get sick and I haven't had the flu ever since I was about 8 years old), built up immunity (...from working in nasty ass jails for a few years), my level of fitness (...which builds immunity) and the multitude of immunizations I've had more recently (..common flu, Hep A/B, diphtheria, acellular pertussis, etc.).

I have partners who have contracted it and were fine after a z-pack and 5-6 days of antibiotics. Conversely, two nurses who work in one of our facilities died in the last couple of days. I'm not sure what their level of health was prior to contracting COVID nor if they had any underlying condition(s) that worsened the situation for them.

I'm not practicing social distancing much. For me personally it is rather pointless since my job doesn't allow for quarantining (...right up there with fire fighters, etc.). I still date and hang out with friends. I'm not overly worried about it personally. The large majority who contract this flu strain recover. I do, however, think before visiting my mother and her husband since they are both in their late 60's and are at a significantly higher risk of a problematic recovery should they contract it.

Although this flu bug is running rampant, the response has been horribly overblown. The normal influenza - which is also a coronavirus with the same age/risk factors, and the same symptomatic M.O. - kills on average 4,000 people a week; many, many thousands a year. People are oblivious to the stats or just don't care, yet they act like the world is going to end over this. The media won't tell you about the large majority who recover. They only cite deaths which add to the hysteria of society's lemmings.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1614883.50
pz6193274.00