BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

DHP M50i ride firmness/comparisons?

I don't think I've seen anyone with DHP say they wish they didn't get it, everyone seems to love it.
I've spec'd it on our order with 22" wheels. (Like most hate runflats)
I'm curious how firm the ride is and what others have owned previously when comparing.
"This rides too harsh" to one person vs too soft to another is so subjective.

Personally I prefer a firm ride, currently have a GLC43 that comes with a pretty firm air suspension and always drive it with the firmest setting.
I like it, many other owners do not.
I think it's great, others say it's bone jarring, but I'm guessing they're used to and prefer comfort or floaty to handling.

I've driven previous model X6/5M's and like that ride, guessing the M50i won't be quite as firm though?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
I hope you had an opportunity to demo before ordering.
I drove an SQ5 that I loved handling, cornering, nimbleness. Initially was hesitant about X5 because I thought it drove too soft. Tried with DHP and was sold. Trouble is not a lot of DHP on dealer lots and I had to pass two dealerships to find one to test drive.
I believe you’ll be very pleased with your order.
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      01-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I hope you had an opportunity to demo before ordering.
I drove an SQ5 that I loved handling, cornering, nimbleness. Initially was hesitant about X5 because I thought it drove too soft. Tried with DHP and was sold. Trouble is not a lot of DHP on dealer lots and I had to pass two dealerships to find one to test drive.
I believe you'll be very pleased with your order.
Good to hear, thanks.
I couldn't find anything local that had it. Didn't even drive an M50 at all, lol. We were sold on going with an X5 after driving a 40i and didn't know the M50 existed until researching. (Initially was planning on getting a Macan GTS or Turbo, the X5 wasn't on the radar so knew nothing about them)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
You lucked out. Please share your initial impressions after delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

If BMWNA had the option of DHP available in fall of 2019 for 40i, I would have been all over it. I enjoy flat cornering, planted straights and firm ride. A big vehicle like this needs active roll stabilization. Hopefully in 3 years!

But overall I didn't find DHP too harsh, on the 2019 50i M Sport that I had for 2 weeks, and left it in comfort dampening if a bit too firm on rough roads.

Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      01-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You lucked out. Please share your initial impressions after delivery.
Lol. Not all luck, I'd read enough on here to know I wanted it. (Almost bought one that didn't have it until reading about it here) I thought it could be ordered WITH the air suspension so was disappointed I couldn't have both. (Love the looks of being able to lower it)
DHP won out after seeing posters who clearly care more about driving dynamics/handling vs the comfort of air.
Ultimately I don't expect to get the same handling or nimbleness in the X5 that you would have in the Macan/SQ5 or similar sized vehicles, hoping with the DHP there is a similar firmness to the suspension feel though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

I ordered the M50i because of the DHP pack. I received the car about a week ago and was able to drive for 2 days. No regrets and am very happy with my choice; I have the 22's.
You can feel the active stabilization and the rear wheel steering working around turns.
In my limited drive time, I can only tell the difference in gear choice/shift points between the drive modes - I need more time behind the wheel to feel for the suspension changes. That being said, Sport Plus doesn't seem harsh and Comfort doesn't seem floaty...
(FWIW, I have been driving a 991.1TTS while I waited for the X5 to come in so that's my point of reference...)
Appreciate 2
scotchy210.00
RVAGuy166.00
      01-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGRTOM View Post
I ordered the M50i because of the DHP pack. I received the car about a week ago and was able to drive for 2 days. No regrets and am very happy with my choice; I have the 22's.
You can feel the active stabilization and the rear wheel steering working around turns.
In my limited drive time, I can only tell the difference in gear choice/shift points between the drive modes - I need more time behind the wheel to feel for the suspension changes. That being said, Sport Plus doesn't seem harsh and Comfort doesn't seem floaty...
(FWIW, I have been driving a 991.1TTS while I waited for the X5 to come in so that's my point of reference...)
I’m impressed how different the vehicle handles with DHP. I thank this forum for educating me to its existence. Otherwise I would be waiting on an Audi delivery.
Appreciate 1
DNGRTOM122.50
      01-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I’m impressed how different the vehicle handles with DHP. I thank this forum for educating me to its existence. Otherwise I would be waiting on an Audi delivery.
Lol. Which model were you considering?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #10
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm impressed how different the vehicle handles with DHP. I thank this forum for educating me to its existence. Otherwise I would be waiting on an Audi delivery.
I thought about the Q8
I just don't think air suspension is for me - I had an S6 with air and really didn't like it.

During production when I would begin to second guess the spec, I found much reinforcement for my decisions on this forum.
It all planned out the way I hoped
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Have a X5/M50i on order with a 1/25 estimated completion.

Was considering Audi S7 briefly. Was familiar with Q7 as daughter-in-law has. Coming from SQ5 I wanted something that handled similarly. Spoke with Audi salesman/friend explaining I was serious about X5/M50 asking to show me an Audi equivalent. Test drove a Q8 but too floaty and I didn’t want to drive another SQ5 for five more years. Even looked briefly at MB but I find their styling as “stale”. Even within BMW I went from M3Competition to X6 (I loved/wife hated) to X5. Added DHP to get the SQ5 type handling.
Spent almost 3 months identifying what I wanted. With help of this site, buying was relatively simple at 3 days.
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      01-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have a X5/M50i on order with a 1/25 estimated completion.

Was considering Audi S7 briefly. Was familiar with Q7 as daughter-in-law has. Coming from SQ5 I wanted something that handled similarly. Spoke with Audi salesman/friend explaining I was serious about X5/M50 asking to show me an Audi equivalent. Test drove a Q8 but too floaty and I didn’t want to drive another SQ5 for five more years. Even looked briefly at MB but I find their styling as “stale”. Even within BMW I went from M3Competition to X6 (I loved/wife hated) to X5. Added DHP to get the SQ5 type handling.
Spent almost 3 months identifying what I wanted. With help of this site, buying was relatively simple at 3 days.
Nice, let us know how you like it once you get it! When did you place your order?

I love our Mercedes (GLC43) so much that I strongly considered a 2020 63S, but wanted something "more" different than what we have. Albeit with some hiccups, the drivetrain and power/power delivery on both is awesome. I like the looks and handling of the SQ5, but the power delivery felt a bit delayed like the Macan S and GTS that I've driven. While not as fast, the X5 40i felt better than the the Audi and Porsche, almost immediate throttle response. Perfect for everyday driving, but I wanted something a bit quicker.

Were you able to drive the M50i with DHP before ordering?
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice, let us know how you like it once you get it! When did you place your order?

I love our Mercedes (GLC43) so much that I strongly considered a 2020 63S, but wanted something "more" different than what we have. Albeit with some hiccups, the drivetrain and power/power delivery on both is awesome. I like the looks and handling of the SQ5, but the power delivery felt a bit delayed like the Macan S and GTS that I've driven. While not as fast, the X5 40i felt better than the the Audi and Porsche, almost immediate throttle response. Perfect for everyday driving, but I wanted something a bit quicker.

We placed our order 12/27. Yes, I found test vehicle with DHP but an hour away. Two local dealers had none. The car tested didn’t have some options I wanted. Only issue with wife was color. Found out now she doesn’t like black cars after having two for five years now. I wanted black on black. She thought it looks like a hearst. Compromise was mineral white exterior/ black interior and any trim she wanted.
My preference if we’re going to have two vehicles is to make them as different as possible so we have two options whenever we leave the house.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We placed our order 12/27. Yes, I found test vehicle with DHP but an hour away. Two local dealers had none. The car tested didn’t have some options I wanted. Only issue with wife was color. Found out now she doesn’t like black cars after having two for five years now. I wanted black on black. She thought it looks like a hearst. Compromise was mineral white exterior/ black interior and any trim she wanted.
My preference if we’re going to have two vehicles is to make them as different as possible so we have two options whenever we leave the house.
Wow are you supposed to take delivery that soon? Or is that when production is complete? Where are you located? (Can't see on the mobile app)

I'd have gone mineral white on black wheels/trim this time too, or a blue, but my wife wanted black (most of our cars have been black). I haven't had a white car yet but really like the contrast.
When we saw the black next to the white I do like the black better, that said I'm the one who washes it lol, doesn't matter to her.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #15
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Completion date is 1/25 (per genius) and we only live two states away in Richmond Virginia (300 miles up 95) so I anticipating receiving delivery some time next week. I haven’t confirmed dates with my CA as I’m trying to leave alone in case I really need his cooperation at some time.
It’s because we had two black cars (and retired so lots of time) that I developed an interest in auto detailing and other “hobbies”. I find it relaxing and something I can do on my own at my own pace. When I get tired or bored I just put everything away. I now understand why they call it detailing: you can get pretty OCD about cleaning every crevice. I even removed the license plates once to wax/protect behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Completion date is 1/25 (per genius) and we only live two states away in Richmond Virginia (300 miles up 95) so I anticipating receiving delivery some time next week. I haven't confirmed dates with my CA as I'm trying to leave alone in case I really need his cooperation at some time.
It's because we had two black cars (and retired so lots of time) that I developed an interest in auto detailing and other "hobbies". I find it relaxing and something I can do on my own at my own pace. When I get tired or bored I just put everything away. I now understand why they call it detailing: you can get pretty OCD about cleaning every crevice. I even removed the license plates once to wax/protect behind.
That's awesome that it was so quick!

Washing cars is a love hate relationship for me. I usually enjoy the process too, but it does take a lot of time and I do it weekly. Pressure wash, 2 rinse buckets, soap bucket and an assortment of wheel brushes, detail brushes and cloths. Usually about 2hrs per car, and yes I've taken license plates off too, even wheels to clean them better. There's no such thing as a "quick wash". I do sometimes envy the majority of my neighbors who must just use a drive thru. lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:

Washing cars is a love hate relationship for me. I usually enjoy the process too, but it does take a lot of time and I do it weekly. Pressure wash, 2 rinse buckets, soap bucket and an assortment of wheel brushes, detail brushes and cloths. Usually about 2hrs per car, and yes I've taken license plates off too, even wheels to clean them better. There's no such thing as a "quick wash". I do sometimes envy the majority of my neighbors who must just use a drive thru. lol.
Keep in mind this timing sequence is mine and mine alone. Reality might yet set in with delivery delayed by several weeks. It’s the first car ever ordered so this is new experience for me.

I’ve always considered removing the wheels as the dividing line for true detailers. You my friend have my respect. I only clean/detail 6 cars: our two and both sons and their wives cars. Everyone loves when I offer to clean their car. The only part of the process I dread is cleaning up after: putting away the pressure cleaner, cleaning out the foam gun and buckets, unhooking the hoses, etc. My favorite piece of equipment is a bench on wheels that I sit on while working around the car. With a shelf underneath for towels, detail spray, brushes, waxes, etc. it eliminates all bending over.
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      01-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind this timing sequence is mine and mine alone. Reality might yet set in with delivery delayed by several weeks. It’s the first car ever ordered so this is new experience for me.

I’ve always considered removing the wheels as the dividing line for true detailers. You my friend have my respect. I only clean/detail 6 cars: our two and both sons and their wives cars. Everyone loves when I offer to clean their car. The only part of the process I dread is cleaning up after: putting away the pressure cleaner, cleaning out the foam gun and buckets, unhooking the hoses, etc. My favorite piece of equipment is a bench on wheels that I sit on while working around the car. With a shelf underneath for towels, detail spray, brushes, waxes, etc. it eliminates all bending over.
Haha thanks. I'm guessing there are more than a few on here that only hand wash and are a bit particular about it. (Wheels by no means come off regularly, but they do get a good detail when switching between summer and winter wheels)
The wheeled bench is a good idea, our current driveway has too much of a slope though, I'd roll away.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #19
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha thanks. I'm guessing there are more than a few on here that only hand wash and are a bit particular about it. (Wheels by no means come off regularly, but they do get a good detail when switching between summer and winter wheels)
The wheeled bench is a good idea, our current driveway has too much of a slope though, I'd roll away.
I remove both cars from garage, blow out all leaves from garage floor, park car to be cleaned in driveway then put wet car in garage, close the door, turn on music and dry, vacuum, clean, etc in garage. I use soap bucket for touch up if necessary and then to soak and clean my golf clubs. No way I could use wheeled stool on driveway. In winter I fill soap and rinse buckets with water from water heater to keep hands from freezing.

Any recommendations for applying to wheels to make cleaning brake dust easier. I tried applying wax but don’t see major improvement. I now apply wax yearly to all exterior metal pieces including umbrella support, metal chairs and a garden decoration, fence door latches. More to protect from rusting than make them shine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've not had it on a car yet but have heard ceramic coatings are great for wheels. I don't know what the calipers are coated in on my Mercedes, but they clean very easily just with a bit of soap and water, too bad the wheels don't have the same finish.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #21
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any recommendations for applying to wheels to make cleaning brake dust easier. I tried applying wax but don’t see major improvement. I now apply wax yearly to all exterior metal pieces including umbrella support, metal chairs and a garden decoration, fence door latches. More to protect from rusting than make them shine.
I just prepped, polished and coated the X5.
I did Gtechniq Wheel Armor (C5) on the wheels (I also changed the pads to Power Stop to lessen the dusting)

I'm undecided on C5, its kind of tacky. If I had had enough of the UK 3.0 left over I would have used that on the wheels...
I have a bottle of Blackfire's HydroSeal (a spray on, rinse off SiO2) that I don't love for the body but I bet will be perfect for the wheels as a topper.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've not had it on a car yet but have heard ceramic coatings are great for wheels. I don't know what the calipers are coated in on my Mercedes, but they clean very easily just with a bit of soap and water, too bad the wheels don't have the same finish.
Coatings make my maintenance wash a rinse/foam/rinse - honestly. If there's a little more dirt than I like I can get in with a wash mitt after I foam. If the car is filthy I'll do a 2 bucket after.
Appreciate 2
RVAGuy166.00
scotchy210.00