BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Bimmercode coding for the first time

SO many threads about "Can I code XYZ?", which are all easily viewable on the bimmercode app..... buy no threads that I can find that answer the question "How do I get started"

I have purchased the OBD connector, and I've purchased the full version of Bimmercode on Android.

What's the process/sequence? Startup, connection, choosing options, etc?

EDIT: Nevermind.... it's in the quick start guide of the bimmercode app.

https://bimmercode.app/quick-start-guide/
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 02-23-2020 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
AshD98.50
      02-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

Hello,

Your question is STILL valid.

I also want to get started, but maybe not BimmerCode.

Is BimmerCode the most versatile product?

What are the other options?

What can be coded? I want the following:
  1. Start / Stop override
  2. Air recirculation always on
  3. Video running on the big screen
  4. Have SMS read to me and dictate replies
  5. Have email read to me and dictate replies

I don't know where to start. There REALLY should be a subforum on coding. Man, that would be useful.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Hello,

1. Start / Stop override

I don't know where to start. There REALLY should be a subforum on coding. Man, that would be useful.
I am not going to code my car but out of curiosity : why would you have air recirculation always on? Doesn't seem healthy and aren't you going to have problems clearing your windows?

Reading and dictating sms you can do with CarPlay. Steering wheel button activating Siri: last sms. It will dictate and after finishing ask you if you want to answer. If you don't use CarPlay it is not possible anymore like it was with idrive 6.0. Don't know if you can code this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

I have air re-circulation and a/c always on. Stops the fumes from other cars in traffic, especially with tunnels. Windows are always clean.

I have an Android phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #5
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Hello,

1. Start / Stop override

Bimmercode will do #1, 2 and 3 for you.
For #4 and 5 you need to setup the car's Personal Assistant to give you those features.

Other things I've been able to code via Bimmercode is:
* Configure Assisted Driving View (ADV) - where the Instrument cluster shows surrounding cars/traffic around you. This is damn awesome, I dont know WHY BMW doesn't configure this in Australia????
* Sport Plus driving mode - since we dont get that on the 30d from the factory.
* Alpina Instrument cluster - which looks really cool, much better than the standard BMW cluster.
* Disable the driving warning on iDrive at startup - bloody annoying, as you have to press the iDrive7 dial every time at startup to get rid of it.
* Configure "Adaptive" driving mode as default at startup, in lieu of "Comfort" mode.

Its very easy:
1. Buy a Bluetooth based ODBLink LX/MX/MX+ adapter module. This plugs into the car's diagnostic/ECU port in the driver footwell.
2. Get Bimmercode App on your phone. (I use an Android/Samsung s10)
3. Plug the OBDLink adaptor into the diagnostic port.
4. Press the Start/Stop button in your car three times in quick succession to put the car into Diagnostic mode.
5. Put your phone into "Flight/Aeroplane" mode, then enable only Bluetooth.
5. Run Bimmercode. Your phone will use Bluetooth to connect to the car through the OBDLink Adapter. Once connected, you will see the ECUs supported for the G05 listed.
6. Start coding !

Good luck !
Appreciate 3
      02-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

James..... the assisted driving view.... does my car need to have any specific options for that to work?

Adaptive at startup.... that also sounds fantastic.

I'm assuming these are both "advanced" procedures.... which scares me. Is there a step by step walkthrough?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
* Configure Assisted Driving View (ADV) - where the Instrument cluster shows surrounding cars/traffic around you. This is damn awesome, I dont know WHY BMW doesn't configure this in Australia????
Pretty sure the capability is available world-wide, it's just only available for cars with a build version of 0719, hence the need for coding on cars built earlier than that.

It needs Driving Assistant Pro, i-step 0719 or later, plus coding for car's that have a build version of < 0719.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
James..... the assisted driving view.... does my car need to have any specific options for that to work?

Adaptive at startup.... that also sounds fantastic.

I'm assuming these are both "advanced" procedures.... which scares me. Is there a step by step walkthrough?

Adaptive as default (@ startup) is driven from a menu (see pic below) - this is now a standard coding feature of Bimmercode for the G05 in the Body Domain Controller ECU.

For Assisted Driving Mode (ADV) you need the driving assist package (I believe).

To code Assisted Driving Mode, it is a little more involved as you need to use expert mode to enable - but you go into the Instrument Cluster ECU (aka KOMBI), enable "Expert Mode" then change the following to Aktiv..

• CB_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv (01)
• CB_PRESELECT_NAVI_ANSICHT_FZG_UMGEBUNG: aktiv (01)
• PIA_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv (01)
• SICHT_ABSICHT_ENABLE: aktiv (01)

Works beautifully !
Attached Images

Last edited by James_G0540i; 02-25-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:04 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:

For Assisted Driving Mode (ADV) you need the driving assist package (I believe).
I'm actually not sure what I have. I have the "executive" package... I have the 3d camera, the parking sensors lines, etc... but I didn't opt for the Driving assistance "professional" package..... so I do NOT have adaptive cruise, and whatever else comes with that.

I actually deactivated much of the safety features because I hate them (steering intervention).... but I would like to have the "view" of surrounding cars in my gauge cluster. It would help more than just blind spot monitors. That is actually what I'm looking for.

Are we talking about the same thing?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
I'm actually not sure what I have. I have the "executive" package... I have the 3d camera, the parking sensors lines, etc... but I didn't opt for the Driving assistance "professional" package..... so I do NOT have adaptive cruise, and whatever else comes with that.

I actually deactivated much of the safety features because I hate them (steering intervention).... but I would like to have the "view" of surrounding cars in my gauge cluster. It would help more than just blind spot monitors. That is actually what I'm looking for.

Are we talking about the same thing?
I answered this above
"It needs Driving Assistant Pro, i-step 0719 or later, plus coding for car's that have a build version of < 0719"

You don't have DAP so can't get Assisted Driving View (ADV)

For reference, this is what the car uses to determine if this feature should be coded:

XPath=boolean(//cat[@val<"128"][crit[@val=3248]]) and (boolean(//cat[@val="255"][crit[@val>=1907]]) or (boolean(//cat[@val<"128"][crit[@val=118]]) and boolean(//cat[@val<"128"][crit[@val=1736]]) and boolean(//cat[@val="255"][crit[@val>=1811]])))

Roughly translated - Must have DAP AND a build version >= 1907 OR will also activate if the car is a Japanese build and has eTJA(5AR) and build >= 1811

Last edited by ifr; 03-02-2020 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I can't even get access to default to Adaptive mode. It says the ECU is not supported. I wonder why?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can't even get access to default to Adaptive mode. It says the ECU is not supported. I wonder why?
It's because the developers have yet to add those ECUs to the app. I'm guessing they're still working out all of the mapping for the ECU. Last I read on here, the beta version of bimmercode has it mapped, so it's just a matter of time before they release an update to add the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

it's mentioned above that the driver warning has to be shut off every time. i've yet to have to "acknowledge" mine and it goes away automatically as soon as i put the car in gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

I guess i spoke to soon! just got in the car and the warning screen did NOT shut off by itself LOL this is the first time in the week that i had the car. I put it in reverse and it stayed there. hitting the "home" button near the shifter did get rid of it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #15
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm on Bimmercode version 2.17.5-6415, on Android, and have no issues accessing the Body Domain Controller ECU. See my pic above - that's a screen shot from my phone.

I am guessing a few things could be causing your issue in not being able to see BDC ECU:

* You dont have the right OBD adapter. I've got the full OBDLink LX/MX/MX++ Adapter which is recommended by Bimmercode. Using the wrong or more basic adapter can mean you dont get access to all features on Bimmercode.

* I signed up to be a BETA code tester for Bimmercode, and there is a chance they haven't released the "Production" version of the App for general use.

* Update your Bimmercode App - make sure you've got the latest.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #16
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm on Bimmercode version 2.17.5-6415, on Android, and have no issues accessing the Body Domain Controller ECU. See my pic above - that's a screen shot from my phone.

I am guessing a few things could be causing your issue in not being able to see BDC ECU:

* You dont have the right OBD adapter. I've got the full OBDLink LX/MX/MX++ Adapter which is recommended by Bimmercode. Using the wrong or more basic adapter can mean you dont get access to all features on Bimmercode.

* I signed up to be a BETA code tester for Bimmercode, and there is a chance they haven't released the "Production" version of the App for general use.

* Update your Bimmercode App - make sure you've got the latest.
I bought the most expensive adapter that Bimmercode recommended on their website

My app is updated, and I bought the full version.

I'll check again after a while I suppose. See if there are any updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #17
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
I bought the most expensive adapter that Bimmercode recommended on their website

My app is updated, and I bought the full version.

I'll check again after a while I suppose. See if there are any updates.
I had the same issue. You are probably using regular version and not beta. Go to google play and find bimmercode app, there is a button to click to be beta tester. Click on it. After 10-15 min, you will be granted beta tester status. Then check for updates and you will get the beta, which is newer than what you have installed. In beta, you will have access to BDC. IMPORTANT: after update to new version, be sure to restart your phone before connecting to your car. Some users experienced issues that disappeared after reboot. Beta version is 2.17.5-6415
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

which is the latest adapter andlowest price to get for bimmercode with an ISO that works? Would the Veepeak OBDCheck ones works?

Last edited by Mikli; 03-04-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:54 AM   #19
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
I had the same issue. You are probably using regular version and not beta. Go to google play and find bimmercode app, there is a button to click to be beta tester. Click on it. After 10-15 min, you will be granted beta tester status. Then check for updates and you will get the beta, which is newer than what you have installed. In beta, you will have access to BDC. IMPORTANT: after update to new version, be sure to restart your phone before connecting to your car. Some users experienced issues that disappeared after reboot. Beta version is 2.17.5-6415
will do. interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #20
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
I coded my wife's G06 last night using the vgate WiFi adapter.

For some reason in the app G06 didn't appear when I connected to the car. I went ahead and coded it anyways selecting G05. I enabled video in motion and M start up. I tried to disable the start stop feature but it wouldn't code.

BDC was also not available for me to select. I'm assuming it was the outdated adapter I was using.

I played with the app some more and found out the adapter I was using is no longer supported. I had it lying around from when I coded my F15, F80.

I'm looking into getting a new adapter mhd or enet cable. Any pros and cons between the two units?
      03-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #21
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
I coded my wife's G06 last night using the vgate WiFi adapter.

For some reason in the app G06 didn't appear when I connected to the car. I went ahead and coded it anyways selecting G05. I enabled video in motion and M start up. I tried to disable the start stop feature but it wouldn't code.

BDC was also not available for me to select. I'm assuming it was the outdated adapter I was using.

I played with the app some more and found out the adapter I was using is no longer supported. I had it lying around from when I coded my F15, F80.

I'm looking into getting a new adapter mhd or enet cable. Any pros and cons between the two units?
I have both and the enet cable is a lot faster at reading the ECUs vs the bluetooth adapters. If you plan on doing any coding above what Bimmercode app supports using E-sys I would get the enet cable with an adapter for your phone. For one, it's cheaper. Second, it's faster. Third, will allow you to VO or FDL code using E-sys later on if you choose to go down that path.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #22
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I have both and the enet cable is a lot faster at reading the ECUs vs the bluetooth adapters. If you plan on doing any coding above what Bimmercode app supports using E-sys I would get the enet cable with an adapter for your phone. For one, it's cheaper. Second, it's faster. Third, will allow you to VO or FDL code using E-sys later on if you choose to go down that path.
Is the eNET adapter you use for your phone an Ethernet to USB-C converter, assuming you're using an Android?
Appreciate 0