BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
kevm50d
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D 2019

Check Drivetrain - power of vehicle is restricted - electrical?

Hi guys,

I've had my 2019 (60k miles) M50D for a couple of weeks after buying it from a genuine one careful owner having always had it BMW serviced on time. Car has been faultless since I had it - till I scraped the bumper on a tight manoever and had to take it to my bodyshop for a repair (I'll open a seperate thread on why the autobrake didn't kick in as it does on reverse).

Anyway, today the guys started stripping the front of the car (bumper removal) and all of a sudden on my BMW app I got a pop-up :

"your BMW x5 M50d requires your attention -
Drive train check up (required since 25-September 1:70)
The drivetrain power of your vehicle is restricted. It is possible to continue driving".

Shortly after there was one for the Pedestrian Protection system which I could understand considering that all of the sensors from the bumper had been disconnected.

Now I'm thinking that this is too much of a coincidence to be a real issue but would like your valued opinion.

From experience I recall on my first E53 almost having a heart attack when a "Transmission failure" message popped up on one cold winters evening. Read the forums and was able to quickly address the problem with a new battery (which was needed anyway) - so I'm trying not to panic here.

There's a step-thru guide on the app which I've not followed yet as the car is still at the bodyshop - but I did go there straigh away to check for any messages in the iDrive systems and in teh check vehicle there's only one for the PDC systems (which I'd expect) but nothing about the drivetrain. I didn't drive the car as it was missing it's bumper.

Guys at the bodyshop have offered to clear all codes when they finish their work - but I wondered how that would leave me with BMW Italy. Should I take the car in limp mode to them and let them run some checks (as the app suggests). I'd also worry that this leaves some kind of record in the service history in the car that I chose to ignore the warning - or would clearing the codes cause the car to update it's status through BMW connect ?

I'm guessing that if the bodyshop had disconnected the battery before starting their work all of this would have been avoided - but it's a bit late now.

Meanwhile I'll no doubt spend the next 4 days while it's in the bodyshop worrying anyway that it could be a real issue waiting for me with associated scary costs associated as the car is just out of warranty, but fingers crossed.

Has anyone experienced something similar. As mentioned at the beginning - there's been no build up or history of issues whatsoever - but as they also say s**t does happen (let's just hope not in this case).

Thanks for any advice or shared experience with this.

Kev

Last edited by kevm50d; 09-25-2023 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
kevm50d
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D 2019

Just a question for anyone that's suffered real drivetrain errors on their G05 X5s - did any messages show up in the iDrive 'check vehicle' area?

In my case from within the iDrive Car section I see the message related to the disconnected PDC sensors but nothing related to the drive train.

I do have the orange engine light on when the engine is running and there is the message from 2 days ago in my BMW app telling me to check the drivetrain but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this is all due to the car having a large part of it's security features wiring disconnected during the body repair work.

Literally, I drove the car in, and it was 100% fine. Since then it's moved from the car park to one of the ramps and back and suddenly the drivetrain fails on that 100 yard trip - my luck would really have to suck for that to happen

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.

Cheers, Kev
Appreciate 0