BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #287
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

A lot of people in this forum reported whistling noise, including me. Only the dealer/BMW NA can't reproduce it, what a shame BMW NA.

It's a disgusting attitude from BMW NA and not replace the car that has so many problems
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #288
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher9387 View Post
A lot of people in this forum reported whistling noise, including me. Only the dealer/BMW NA can't reproduce it, what a shame BMW NA.

It's a disgusting attitude from BMW NA and not replace the car that has so many problems
Has someone you know up north gotten it fixed? Do you have a copy of the repair order? I agree BMW NA doesn't care whatsoever. I've gotten numerous messages from people saying their experience with BMW NA has been the same with either their X5 or another BMW. I'm glad yet disturbed that others have experienced similar things. At least it shows that I'm not alone here with the bad handling of matters.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #289
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Has someone you know up north gotten it fixed? Do you have a copy of the repair order? I agree BMW NA doesn't care whatsoever. I've gotten numerous messages from people saying their experience with BMW NA has been the same with either their X5 or another BMW. I'm glad yet disturbed that others have experienced similar things. At least it shows that I'm not alone here with the bad handling of matters.
From what I've seen in another thread re:whistling from windshield is that the windshield was installed incorrectly so that had to reinstall it. After the reinstall the whistling stopped. There was also another instance where there was a very small pinhole in the windshield adhesive where you could only hear the whistling at high speeds - I believe it was 120 km/h - after they fixed the adhesive/sealant it went away.

Wonder if your sound is due to the windshield delaminating.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #290
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
From what I've seen in another thread re:whistling from windshield is that the windshield was installed incorrectly so that had to reinstall it. After the reinstall the whistling stopped. There was also another instance where there was a very small pinhole in the windshield adhesive where you could only hear the whistling at high speeds - I believe it was 120 km/h - after they fixed the adhesive/sealant it went away.

Wonder if your sound is due to the windshield delaminating.
It very well could be. I'm going to have it replaced with my insurance since that will be the fastest/easiest route to take.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #291
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
It very well could be. I'm going to have it replaced with my insurance since that will be the fastest/easiest route to take.
Is your windshield delamination starting to propagate? If not, are you sure you want it replaced? I ask because seldom are things as good after the replacement as compared to before.
The A pillars stand to be damaged, the plastic housing below the mirror may not fit tight after its pried off, causing rattles and/or buzzing and if you have a leather dash, omg, well, just thought I'd ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #292
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Is your windshield delamination starting to propagate? If not, are you sure you want it replaced? I ask because seldom are things as good after the replacement as compared to before.
The A pillars stand to be damaged, the plastic housing below the mirror may not fit tight after its pried off, causing rattles and/or buzzing and if you have a leather dash, omg, well, just thought I'd ask.
No, not that I've seen. I've had a windshield replaced on my X3 and they did a good job so I'm not worried about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #293
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
No, not that I've seen. I've had a windshield replaced on my X3 and they did a good job so I'm not worried about that.
Agreed, I’ve replaced 10+ windshields over the years and never had any issues afterwards. Windshields are like tires, they get damaged and need to be replaced for safety reasons ever so often.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #294
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I was conditioning my seats yesterday for the first time since getting the car back when I noticed a big issue. During the test drive when I dropped the car off, the tech sat up front, and their engineer behind him. On the rear passenger seat, there is not a nice cut in my leather from what I can only assume was some sort of money clip or item in the engineers pocket. I emailed the SM with pictures I took the day of drop off (10-15 min before) and this one I took yesterday. No one ever sits in the back except for their engineer so I know for a fact (in addition to the pictures I took) that it was caused by him or the dealer. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #295
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was conditioning my seats yesterday for the first time since getting the car back when I noticed a big issue. During the test drive when I dropped the car off, the tech sat up front, and their engineer behind him. On the rear passenger seat, there is not a nice cut in my leather from what I can only assume was some sort of money clip or item in the engineers pocket. I emailed the SM with pictures I took the day of drop off (10-15 min before) and this one I took yesterday. No one ever sits in the back except for their engineer so I know for a fact (in addition to the pictures I took) that it was caused by him or the dealer. Let me know what you guys think.
Honestly, this car and your dealer have only brought you bad luck. After how you have explained your relationship with your dealer, it would appear you're in for an uphill battle once again. They have probably programmed their dealership cameras for face recognition and everyone gets an alert on their phones when you walk in.

They're going to ask you want you want them to do. Be prepared for that because if you simply say...make it right...the decision is in their hands and you will have to accept their methods.

After reading your trials and tribulations, if I were you, I would sell the car. If you really like it, then buy another one from a different dealer. You will certainly take a financial hit but that might be a bit more pleasant than the endless frustration and disappointment you have been and are experiencing.

Just being honest, this is what would be going through my head if it were me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #296
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. Not a simple repair, will get worse, and cannot be unseen. I'd be pi$$ed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #297
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

Quote:
No one ever sits in the back except for their engineer so I know for a fact (in addition to the pictures I took) that it was caused by him or the dealer. Let me know what you guys think.
Damn, it seems like you can't catch a break and your luck just gets worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #298
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I agree with Marty. I’d try to get the dealer to take it in trade for the next X5 loaner or demo they have available. Try to make it an even swap. Then go to another dealer, and swap or trade it in for a new or another lightly used car that has the features you want.

At this point, my concern is that the universe is telling you something - that car is cursed, and you don’t want you or your family riding in it.
Appreciate 1
FOdeks7.50
      07-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #299
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Bummer. Since they have been balking on the other leather issues you have brought to them, I’m afraid you may have an uphill battle with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #300
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Still waiting to hear back, I'm at a point where this is comically frustrating. It's not worth having high blood pressure over stupid people's mistakes but I'm also not backing down. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer and BMW NA who I CC'd on the email (not that they care about my case)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #301
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I cannot believe you have more sh*t to deal with on this, utterly ridiculous. My only advice at this point is to try a different dealer/service department, one you have a good relationship with. None of my BMWs have been as expensive as your X5 was, and I have been treated extremely well by my SA for any issues I've had, down to them doing things other dealers refuse to (coding ASD off for me).
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #302
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I cannot believe you have more sh*t to deal with on this, utterly ridiculous. My only advice at this point is to try a different dealer/service department, one you have a good relationship with. None of my BMWs have been as expensive as your X5 was, and I have been treated extremely well by my SA for any issues I've had, down to them doing things other dealers refuse to (coding ASD off for me).
I wasn't planning on going back there so. What dealership do you use? I plan on going to BMW of Grapevine again since I had a good experience the last time I went in
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #303
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
I wasn't planning on going back there so. What dealership do you use? I plan on going to BMW of Grapevine again since I had a good experience the last time I went in
I’d go back there just to unload the car at the dealer that has been such a stinker. Let them sell it to someone else and take the backlash, or get BMW to replace it.

Then take that car to the dealer you prefer, and trade it again for one with the features you want. You won’t be sticking them with a lemon, and you should be able to move on with your life sooner than later.

Honestly, I’d get rid of it at the least cost to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #304
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

At this point I think you should gut the interior, put role cage in and do some sick mods on the drive train and track the hell out of it!!!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #305
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

From everything you have experienced you are going to either love your X5 beyond any other vehicle because you have gone through so much together or you will loath the memory of ever having owned it. The X5 is really just a innocent child of divorce so it’s not like the anger has to be direct directly to it.
Appreciate 2
kleo12.00
      07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #306
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I use BMW of Austin, which is quite a drive for you. Everyone has always gone out of their way to be helpful there though, so may be worth it.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #307
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
From everything you have experienced you are going to either love your X5 beyond any other vehicle because you have gone through so much together or you will loath the memory of ever having owned it. The X5 is really just a innocent child of divorce so it’s not like the anger has to be direct directly to it.
Its the lousy dealership coupled with bad BMW behavior that has soured the car/owner relationship. The car, as you all know, has plenty of bugs but these are common across the model year. Ok, AR's car may have a few issues that most others don't but none that cannot be resolved from a technical viewpoint.

It would have been a totally different experience had AR had a decent dealer experience. That said, his VIN is now attached to a record that might raise the flag no matter where he takes it. If it were my car, I'd get rid of it and start over.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #308
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
If it were my car, I'd get rid of it and start over.
Sadly have to agree with Marty's assessment.
Appreciate 0