BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2024, 09:48 PM   #23
swiego29382
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcolo View Post
No, I find them very comfortable overall. I have ventilated sensafin seats on my '23 X5 45e, they are very comfortable. I have done a 850mile road trip from AZ to CO multiple times with no issues at all.

For the Porsche 911 992.1 the ventilated seat option does make them noticeably firmer, but I'd say that is not the case here.

The ventilation does work too (some will say it does nothing). It is true is not be the best, but it does do something and I am glad I got the option and would get it again. Most ventilated seats from other manufactures (Jeep Grand Cherokee (best), Jeep Wagoneer, Ford F-150, even Porsche 911) have been better in my experience
I have ventilated seats and find them to be quite comfortable. In fact seat comfort was probably one of the top 3 reasons that we got this vehicle. I can’t say that ventilation has made them less comfortable.

That said, the actual ventilation function feels like an afterthought. It does work, technically speaking. However of maybe a half dozen vehicles of various brands that I have owned with vented seats, this one ventilates less at the max setting than all other vehicles i have owned at their lowest. It also has the highest noise to performance ratio. It just doesn’t seem to be engineered as well as other elements of the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2024, 01:27 AM   #24
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego29382 View Post
I have ventilated seats and find them to be quite comfortable. In fact seat comfort was probably one of the top 3 reasons that we got this vehicle. I can’t say that ventilation has made them less comfortable.

That said, the actual ventilation function feels like an afterthought. It does work, technically speaking. However of maybe a half dozen vehicles of various brands that I have owned with vented seats, this one ventilates less at the max setting than all other vehicles i have owned at their lowest. It also has the highest noise to performance ratio. It just doesn’t seem to be engineered as well as other elements of the vehicle.
Thanks for the input!

Curious about the other 2
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 08:38 AM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopony View Post
Link

Not in English but doesn't matter. They are adding ventilation to the factory massaging seat.
That link took me to the video that only showed them punching the holes in the seat. Is there one that shows the whole process they went through?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:19 AM   #26
Gladiator1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 x40i (in production)

I come from a 2022 Sants Fe Caligraphy with 3 stage ventilated seats, they worked well in the hot NC summers, but I opted not to spend the extra $2000 on my X5, that said I am looking into nano-ceramic window tinting (including windshield) to reduce the overall temperature in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 12:14 PM   #27
swiego29382
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Curious about the other 2
Engine and handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 02:59 PM   #28
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator1972 View Post
I come from a 2022 Sants Fe Caligraphy with 3 stage ventilated seats, they worked well in the hot NC summers, but I opted not to spend the extra $2000 on my X5, that said I am looking into nano-ceramic window tinting (including windshield) to reduce the overall temperature in the cabin.
Which brand/series of window tint do you use? How do you like it?

I heard that ceramic window film is very good at blocking heat, but the cabin will still get somewhat hot if parked under the sun for a longer time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:15 PM   #29
letsgopony
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
That link took me to the video that only showed them punching the holes in the seat. Is there one that shows the whole process they went through?
This seems to be a good one: link starting from 1:58
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2024, 03:42 PM   #30
Gladiator1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 x40i (in production)

Quote:
Which brand/series of window tint do you use? How do you like it?

I heard that ceramic window film is very good at blocking heat, but the cabin will still get somewhat hot if parked under the sun for a longer time.
I’m a week 21 build, so I haven’t tried yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:58 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A ceramic tint is pretty good at reflecting IR energy and blocking UV, but consider that reflected energy goes through the glass twice and will heat it up some. Some heat also makes it through the body. The 3M product has something like 200 layers of coatings on it and even their lighter tints block a large proportion of the UV and IR energy.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2024, 05:33 PM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
This seems to be a good one: link starting from 1:58
Clever guys! The main speaker reminds me a lot of a friend of mine I used to work with who lives in Shanghai Thanks for the second link!
Appreciate 0