BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
youtkiddin
Registered
Rep
Drives: nunya

ebay bidding

can someone thats familiar with the whole ebay bidding world help me. i haved browsed the pages alot in the past. but i finally set up a pay pal account and went on and bidded on an item. well the items high bid was 9.50. i bid 11.00 and was told i had been outbidded. i played the game for a minute, all with the same results. now the item is up to 22.00 and i help drive that price up. im also understanding that you have the ability to tell your max bid. and somehow it will enter automaticly for you. but here is what im getting at. couldn't these people set up many email and ebay accounts and raise the bid on their own items. is this whats going on?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Most certainly happening....

Don't hate the playa'. Hate the game.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtkiddin View Post
can someone thats familiar with the whole ebay bidding world help me. i haved browsed the pages alot in the past. but i finally set up a pay pal account and went on and bidded on an item. well the items high bid was 9.50. i bid 11.00 and was told i had been outbidded. i played the game for a minute, all with the same results. now the item is up to 22.00 and i help drive that price up. im also understanding that you have the ability to tell your max bid. and somehow it will enter automaticly for you. but here is what im getting at. couldn't these people set up many email and ebay accounts and raise the bid on their own items. is this whats going on?
um..... i was a power-seller on ebay before, ebay isnt has dumb as you think... thats the only hint i can say for now
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
youtkiddin
Registered
Rep

so maybe what your hinting to is that ebay drives up the prices so they recieve more percent of the sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

why bid on it during the early stages of the auction? you're just hurting yourself by increasing the bid. i always snipe the item in the last 25 seconds when the auction is about to close.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Welcome to proxy bidding. You really should bid near the end of an auction.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
couldn't these people set up many email and ebay accounts and raise the bid on their own items. is this whats going on?
they certainly could try, but that's against the rules. Not sure what happens if sellers violate the rules...but you really should bid at the last second on an auction, otherwise you're just driving the price up and giving other people a chance to outibid you
      07-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
youtkiddin
Registered
Rep

thanks for the advice on last minute bidding. im just learning. also what happens if you win. how do you go about paying for the item? i set up pay pal for this purpose. but dont really see a option to pay. this may show up once i win a bid. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

after you win the item you'll get an email....

Ever since eBay aquired paypal it has become a very streamlined process.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Ebay is a fucking joke. I went to sell a $400 item on there the other day and those greedy fuckers wanted $25 in final sale fees.

I have no problem paying for the listing of the ad or the extra features I used, but that is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
can someone thats familiar with the whole ebay
bidding world help me. i haved browsed the pages alot in the past. but i finally set up a pay pal account and went on and bidded on an item. well the items high bid was 9.50. i bid 11.00 and was told i had been outbidded. i played the game for a minute, all with the same results. now the item is up to 22.00 and i help drive that price up. im also understanding that you have the ability to tell your max bid. and somehow it will enter automaticly for you. but here is what im getting at. couldn't these people set up many email and ebay accounts and raise the bid on their own items. is this whats going on?
Here's how the bidding process works per eBay FAQ.

Say that you and I are the only bidders on a certain item and I bid first. Pretend the item starts at $0.99 and I input a bid. This bid is my maximum that I'm willing to pay, whether it be $1.99 or $199. However, eBay automatically bids only 50 cents to a dollar so the new bidding price is, let's say, $1.49.

Now, you see the item and want to bid. You enter $5.00. Pretending that I originally bid $1.99, eBay raises the price to $1.99. However, because that's my maximum bid, I can't bid any higher than that but you can. So eBay raises the bid to $2.00. Now you have the latest bid and I have been outbidden.

If I decide to bid again and bid $4.00 as my max, then I will still be outbid because you have a higher max. This is what happened in your case, when you were immediately outbidden.

Ebay uses this system of "automatic bidding", where we only input our max bids and eBay does the rest, to ease the bidding process for the buyers. If we had to return every single time to increase our bid if another person beat it, it would be a huge waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

ebay tracks what bidders repeatedly bid for the same sellers, they make this viewable to potential buyers and buyers can make the decision to bid on the item partly based on that history...basically if you see the same bidder bidding on the sellers items repeatedly then you might want to stay away and not support that seller,especially if those bids rarely or never end up in wins. not saying that there arent people out there who legitimately bid/buy on multiple auctions from the same seller. but again, your your better judgement...theres a whole lot of resources if you just browse the auction page and the site map.so far i havent made any bad decisions, using all the tools and thats over 300+ transactions so far
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
It would be very difficult to drive the price up on your item with multiple accounts b/c lie e92 lighting said, they are smarter than you think. Doesn't mean you can't get your friends to do it

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

You can easily bid on your own item. Just setup another account. Ebay doesnt monitor very good. I know people who have done it 100 times over the last couple years. Its kind of a dick move though.

Also a lot of people will charge really high shipping prices for small items and keep the difference
      07-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
choicez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
It would be very difficult to drive the price up on your item with multiple accounts b/c lie e92 lighting said, they are smarter than you think. Doesn't mean you can't get your friends to do it
i know friends who don't place a reserve & start the bid at $.99. However, they have others bid on the product to raise the bid to their reserve price. It also cost less to start your bid at $.99 and not placing a reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
Also a lot of people will charge really high shipping prices for small items and keep the difference
The reason sellers charge high shipping prices is to pay for the paypal and ebay fees with the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
i know friends who don't place a reserve & start the bid at $.99. However, they have others bid on the product to raise the bid to their reserve price. It also cost less to start your bid at $.99 and not placing a reserve.

The reason sellers charge high shipping prices is to pay for the paypal and ebay fees with the difference.
I only have had my friends push something up to the edge of my reserve once and let the people who want it get it past the reserve. But if you don't have a reserve just let the bidders run it up themselves and you won't take the risk of your friend winning your auction on accident.

And for the high shipping charge part, ebay now doesn't allow charge outrageous amounts anymore. They have a limit set on what you can charge for shipping based on the sub-category you're selling in.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
eBay is full of fucking retarded sellers. 99% of them.

People selling something for $50 and charging $150 shipping. Scum a la scum. Rot in hell.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
What you ran into some idiot who came in bid at a high $ amount and they never come back so you kept bidding them up. They hope that people will not bother bidding since they keep loosing.

The only way you would win this is if you out bid them. The problem is these idiot usually put in a bid of $50.00 for a $25.00 item. The quickest way to find out what their max bid, is to increase your bid by the minimum bid amount and used odd numbers, if the next incremental bid is $0.50 you bid $0.51 more then the current high bid and if they match your bid exactly or just less than the next increment that means their max bid was not higher then the next increment.

To put the math behind it... If the current high bid is $10 and the next increment is $10.50 you bid $10.51 and if they have high proxy bid their bid will be $11.01 and they out bid you. Now if their high bid is between $10.50 and $11.00 and you bid $10.51 and they out bid you $10.51 that means they did not have reserve of more then $11.01 so they win by default since the had the first highest winning bid.

I can not tell you how many times I ran into these types, and to teach them a lesson, I do exact what I showed above until their bid matches mine and I stop bidding because usually their high bid was far higher than what the product was worth, then add on the high shipping costs some sellers are putting on products these people get hosed.

Then there are the other types of bidders out there, the first which I outlined above which ebay promotes people to do, then are the people who sit there and put in a bids which are minimum incremental bids and ever time someone out bids them they come back and increase their bid buy one incremental amounts. These people are easily beaten by the next bidder type the sniper which is my preference. However, I have seen items which you have two or three of the above type bid an item way up past what the item is worth because these idiot get caught up in the bidding war.

The last type is the sniper, this works best, you come in the last 10 seconds of an auction and place a single high bid of an amount equal to what you are willing to pay or what the item is worth plus shipping. This usually beat everyone except the first idiot, but you would not have won anyway because the first idiot always over pays.

Last edited by Maestro; 07-27-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
youtkiddin
Registered
Rep

ok so let me see if i can ask this question without to much confusion on my part. just remember im new to it. and maybe its already been explained. i undestand there is a way that ebay will bid up for me. looks like .50 cents. but lets say i will pay 22.00 for the item and its at 13.00. i see where it says max bid. do i put my 22.00 in that box? im afraid it will jump all the way to 22.00 immediatly. where as id like it to only go to lets say 13.50.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
ok so let me see if i can ask this question without to much confusion on my part. just remember im new to it. and maybe its already been explained. i undestand there is a way that ebay will bid up for me. looks like .50 cents. but lets say i will pay 22.00 for the item and its at 13.00. i see where it says max bid. do i put my 22.00 in that box? im afraid it will jump all the way to 22.00 immediatly. where as id like it to only go to lets say 13.50.
It all depends on if other people are bidding on it. Lets say the bid is at 13 dollars and the max your are willing to pay for it is 22, just put 22 and see what happens. It will only go up to the person who is holding the highest bid's max bid. So if they put 17 as their max, then it will go to 17 and you hold the highest bid. So if someone comes along and decides to put 20 as their max bid they will be out bid by you but the bid will jump to 20 b/c that was their max bid. Some people will say wait to the last min, but if in reality 22 bucks is all you want to pay it doesn't matter when you put your max bid in.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #21
choicez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
It all depends on if other people are bidding on it. Lets say the bid is at 13 dollars and the max your are willing to pay for it is 22, just put 22 and see what happens. It will only go up to the person who is holding the highest bid's max bid. So if they put 17 as their max, then it will go to 17 and you hold the highest bid. So if someone comes along and decides to put 20 as their max bid they will be out bid by you but the bid will jump to 20 b/c that was their max bid. Some people will say wait to the last min, but if in reality 22 bucks is all you want to pay it doesn't matter when you put your max bid in.
Negative. Why place your max bid in the early stages of the auction? Yeah, your max bid is $20 but you might get it for cheaper by not bidding on it earlier. No need to spike the bid price if you just can wait in the end. If people bid on it without you bidding on it, let it be but no reason for you to participate in the bidding war.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I understand what you are saying, but if there is multiple ones theres just put up what you're willing to pay and let it take its course. Get out bid, move on to the next one. All the dependent on how bad you want it and how many are available.

Appreciate 0