BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Ralph24
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i CB/Coffee Ext Mer

Garage List
2020 X5M50i  [0.00]
iDrive Update Upon Delivery

I took delivery of my M50i the last week of March. When I scheduled my appointment to pick up the car (I was trying to get it done before everything shut down) I requested the iDrive software updated to the latest version. When I got to the dealership and checked, the software was version 11/2019.55. I told the F&I guy that was unacceptable and he assured me the upgrade would be taken care of while we signed all of the paperwork. Long story short - it never happened. Back inside to the dealer genius, who immediately went to the OTA section on the iDrive and pointed to the message stating software was up to date. I explained in greater detail that I was looking for the 03/2020 version and was told by a manger that I would be contacted to schedule a time for the update.

The call never came and after a series of emails with a dealer principal, I was contacted by a sales manager and again told my vehicle with 11/2019 software "has the most up to date software available". Only after a lot of push from me would the sales manager agree that there was in fact a more recent software version..... which he stated they only program into vehicles "experiencing problems", however they would install it for me as a "retail upgrade" for almost $300.00. Off went another email to the dealer principal.

The dealer principal was, I thought, very reasonable and in light of my dissatisfaction after this substantial purchase (The car is fully loaded) offered to provide the update gratis, but added in his response: "since we are not following BMW repair protocol and cannot know if this software repair will create some unintended consequence, we ask that you sign a release that protects us from any impact this specific software repair has on your BMW". The release was a GENERAL RELEASE asking me to essentially waive and and all rights to all claims against the dealer and BMWNA in perpetuity. All for software designed and written for the vehicle!

Again more back and forth and eventually I get a call from BMWNA's executive office trying to remedy the problem. Again I'm repeatedly told that my 11/2019 software is the most current according to their engineers. Eventually, I was able to get an acknowledgment that there was a later, software update available, but again, only to those experiencing problems with their cars. I explained that I know my drive recorder feature doesn't function, nor does the 360 view in connected drive. There may be other issues, but with the lockdown I've barely driven the car (about 400 miles in five weeks). I have not heard back from them and don't know if I will.

So....my questions are:

1). Has anybody received a software upgrade gratis from their dealers either stand alone or as part of a service visit without having issues and/or having to jump through hoops.

2). Can anyone tell me the functional differences between 11/2019 and 03/2020? According to BMWNA engineers there are none, despite the fact that I was also told they update this software approximately every two weeks.

3). Has anyone else been asked to sign a heavy-handed, overly lawyered General Release for a matter as simple as this?

I really want to love this car, but this entire process has worn me down and lowered my comfort level with the car, the dealer and BMWNA to the point that I may keep this beauty a year and then sell it. Perhaps some additional perspective will change my thinking.

Thanks all!

2020 X5 M50i
1989 911 Cabrio
2015 Ram 1500

Last edited by Ralph24; 04-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Enbolden Heading
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I'm in the UK, but have 07/19 s/w on my X6, and the 360 view in connected app does not work.

I have an email from the connected drive team that the issue can only be resolved by visiting the dealer and having the latest software installed.

I called my dealer and they had no issues booking in the car for the update, free of charge. As I had reported it as a fault, it was covered under warranty with no charge.

I have postponed my visit, as this was just before shutdown and I told them I would bring the car in after everything re-opens (I didn't want to risk them shutting down just after messing with the car, and me discovering some new issue after their fix which I then cannot get resolved - I would rather keep the issues I have now until everything is back to normal than risk new ones).

No mention of any waiver and they would hear a choice of fine words if they tried to get me to sign something like that. If the car is going in for a fix to a feature that isn't working as it should, then no way should they be asking you to sign away your rights. Your 360 view isn't working - that is reason enough for them to update the software and accept liability for any issues that arise from that.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Oh, to add - my advice would be to find a different dealer if possible, contact the connected drive team to report the 360 issue, get them to confirm that the fault requires a s/w update to resolve, and book the car in with the new dealer.

You don't really 'need' that middle step of contacting the CD team, but it might make it much easier if the dealer knows that you have specifically been told by BMW that the car requires an update, and will be expecting that.

Last edited by mobilejo; 04-22-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

So you're making a big deal about a software update which you don't even know what it entails?

That being said, if your drive recorder doesn't work, that's something that service should be able to handle with that software update. The 360 view in the app rarely works...for anyone. I'd chalk that one up as a loss.

Personally, I think you're overthinking this. Enjoy the car.
      04-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
So you're making a big deal about a software update which you don't even know what it entails?

That being said, if your drive recorder doesn't work, that's something that service should be able to handle with that software update. The 360 view in the app rarely works...for anyone. I'd chalk that one up as a loss.

I respectfully disagree. All computer, cell phone, Electronic manufactures have software/firmware updates for a reason. Those reasons are three fold. To fix bugs/problems, add/update new features, and address safety and security issues. All manufacturers provide these updates free of charge.

BMW's iDrive system is a computer system and BMW advertises that these feature/bug/improvements are free of charge and can be accomplished via Over the Air updates. Yet there are no OTA updates here in the US.

Many owners on this forum have been gracious enough to share their issues with iDrive and what the updates have/have not done to solve their problems. Any dealer that tries to tell you that you have the latest firmware/software when we no for "Fact" that is not true is obviously an outright lie regardless whether or not it's BMW's policy.

BMW is begging for a lawsuit if they refuse to perform a firmware/software update when the customer complains of issues with the current iDrive version. Especially when there is concrete evidence that some of the issues have been solved by an update. Almost every other technology manufacturer provides free of charge updates that addresses what's new in the firmware/software update as well as what was fixed/addressed with that update. Not BMW.

What's BMW hiding? Why are they so secretive about what the updates are doing and why are they so reluctant to do an update when requested by the customer? You might argue that they're concerned it might break something else. Guess what? That's the nature of the technology and the lack of extensive Alpha and Beta testing that's required in order to minimize those issues.

Below is what BMW says about their own software updates that dealer's are telling us we can't have or don't exist. This is total Bull Shit when dealers try to blow smoke up our asses.

The bottom line is that if there is an update to iDrive than BMW should update the vehicle when asked regardless if it fixes a particular problem or not. They've already promised and continue to claim that we can update our cars to the latest software/firmware Over the Air without going to the dealership yet have failed to deliver said promises. Then, to refuse to update the software when requested during a dealer service visit is begging for a law suit.

The Remote Software Upgrade feature helps to keep your BMW up-to-date with the latest software. Software upgrades can be loaded over-the-air, similar to smartphones. Upgrades can be loaded onto a smartphone via the BMW Connected app when connected to a domestic Wi-Fi network, while important updates are completed directly via your BMW’s embedded cellular connection

The advantages to you include:

Your BMW can be upgraded with the latest software at a time when it is convenient to you
Individual functional upgrades are available via a simple software update
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I respectfully disagree. All computer, cell phone, Electronic manufactures have software/firmware updates for a reason. Those reasons are three fold. To fix bugs/problems, add/update new features, and address safety and security issues. All manufacturers provide these updates free of charge.
True but not all updates are released at the same time. There are phased approaches to releases (A/B testing, beta (pre general availability releases, etc.). Many people also wait to update to the latest release if they're not experiencing any problems because new releases often have problems of their own.

Quote:
BMW is begging for a lawsuit if they refuse to perform a firmware/software update when the customer complains of issues with the current iDrive version. Especially when there is concrete evidence that some of the issues have been solved by an update. Almost every other technology manufacturer provides free of charge updates that addresses what's new in the firmware/software update as well as what was fixed/addressed with that update.
I don't think this applies here. The OP isn't saying something isn't working - rather that the car doesn't have the latest release. I would not expect the dealer to push back on a request to fix a problem that is known to be solved with a newer release especially since that work is billable back to BMWNA. In my experience, the service department has always been willing to help anytime I've walked in and said that I was experiencing a problem that seems to be resolved in version.x of some piece of software. Sometimes they would even try and update then software without confirmation that there was a fix just as a way to rule out a possible problem. However, that was always predicated with a statement of a suspected software related problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
You might want to do some research, as I have read about owners getting 03/2020 and created more issues than the 11/2019. In one case they put 11/2019 back on the idrive. I took delivery of my X5 in January, and I have been coding BMW's since 2011, I don't believe there are any enhancements on 03/2020. Keep in mind this same software is not only for X series, but 7 series and 5 series and I think 3 series, so they have to cover all the bases with idrive 7.

I am a programmer, I know how you feel, but take a big breath, and a step back and live with it for now. I don't believe you are missing anything. The biggest disappointment is the OTA, which I don't expect to see anytime soon. 03/2020 is a good example as some are not having issues and some are having issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I am currently on 03/2020.31 updated by my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post

Don't always be in a rush to upgrade to the latest software, firmware upgrade - MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental fix bricked my USB-C ports on my MBP 16. Luckily Apple agreed to express replace the entire laptop.

My Nov prod, WK46 build is still running on 07/2019.63 - no issues, never had to reboot.

Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      04-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Simply tell them CarPlay crashes and they will run a diagnostic, find loads of errors and be able to claim warranty to run a software update.

Also take the time to ask BMW through the BBB why the OTA update feature doesn't work.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      04-23-2020, 03:20 AM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Simply tell them CarPlay crashes and they will run a diagnostic, find loads of errors and be able to claim warranty to run a software update.

Also take the time to ask BMW through the BBB why the OTA update feature doesn't work.
BBB? Are you referring to the Better Business Bureau? How would you ask BMW through the BBB?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:27 AM   #12
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Don't always be in a rush to upgrade to the latest software, firmware upgrade - MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental fix bricked my USB-C ports on my MBP 16. Luckily Apple agreed to express replace the entire laptop.

My Nov prod, WK46 build is still running on 07/2019.63 - no issues, never had to reboot.
Problem is I have several iDrive issues that need to be addressed. I'm not just requesting the updates because they exist.

I'm recently retired from the IT industry and we never rolled out any updates until we tested them over a period of months within our network test platform first. Usually that platform was one of our own machines that we used every day with the same configurations that the rest of the network had installed. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury with BMW since I have no control of what or when BMW gives me an option for updates.

All I can do is monitor these forums and see what problems or fixes the newer updates have fixed or broken for other owners who have or updated to from a previous version.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #13
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

BBB? Are you referring to the Better Business Bureau? How would you ask BMW through the BBB?
Raise a complaint and they will force BMW to address why they advertised, and you paid for, a feature that is not available
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Raise a complaint and they will force BMW to address why they advertised, and you paid for, a feature that is not available
I see. I would think someone would have already done that by now but I'll check it out.

My Service Advisor called me this morning and said they did an iDrive update. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up what version they updated it to.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #15
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Mine was one of the first year X5s. The X5 is loaded and I was missing a few features like the cornering lights, experience modes, etc. When I asked them to upgrade the software they also wanted to charge me $300 to do it. I also wrote emails to the dealership and BMW Connected Drive and both refused to do it unless I paid. I switch dealerships and went to the one I had always taken our previous BMW's. My relationship with these guys is great and I told them that I had been missing a number of features. Without any questions or push back they performed the software update and I have had few of them since.

The X5 is booked in next week because the driver's ventilated seat doesn't work and the seatbelt chime on any of the seats doesn't work either. I'll ask them to upgrade the software while it's in to take me from 11/2019 to 03/2020. I'm pretty sure they'll do it to resolve the seatbelt chime.

If you have iDrive glitches / issues they should do the upgrade. How else would they fix it.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #16
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Did I read this thread correctly, you cannot do OTA software updates on US models? If this is true then BMW is guilty of false advertising. The window sticker states remote software upgrade capable and the manual states you can get OTA updates. What's up with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
Did I read this thread correctly, you cannot do OTA software updates on US models? If this is true then BMW is guilty of false advertising. The window sticker states remote software upgrade capable and the manual states you can get OTA updates. What's up with this?
Hey floridaman100, where u been? Nothing new on this front unfortunately. What you have stated has been the case since the first G05 rolled off the assy line. Everyone is waiting for the day they can get OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #18
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Hey floridaman100, where u been? Nothing new on this front unfortunately. What you have stated has been the case since the first G05 rolled off the assy line. Everyone is waiting for the day they can get OTA updates.
I guess I haven't been here. The dealer told me you could get over the air updates, window sticker basically states the same, owner's manual states you can. Seems like BMW has opened themselves to a lawsuit. Frankly, I am surprised that a class action suit hasn't been started already.

Then you see the posts of where a dealer wants to charge $300 for a software update. I can guarantee you I will never pay for software updates.

Does this also mean you won't get map updates or is it just the IDrive updates you can't get OTA?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #19
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I guess I haven't been here. The dealer told me you could get over the air updates, window sticker basically states the same, owner's manual states you can. Seems like BMW has opened themselves to a lawsuit. Frankly, I am surprised that a class action suit hasn't been started already.

Then you see the posts of where a dealer wants to charge $300 for a software update. I can guarantee you I will never pay for software updates.

Does this also mean you won't get map updates or is it just the IDrive updates you can't get OTA?
Map updates thus far have been OTA.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:46 AM   #20
desirusso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 SG

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My M50 is in right now getting software updated from New Jersey we were told.... our BC button did nothing, phone steering wheel controls didn't work, all the mpg and trip info was not working. A/C was kicking in and getting cold then not. So hopefully tomorrow we will get it back with issues fixed because of the update.
      04-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

As I understand it, the OTA update everyone is waiting for would only apply to iDrive and not firmware updates of the computers in the car, for that you will still need to take it back to the dealer. Nav (map) OTA updates have been happening for some time now. Yes I understand BMW has advertised OTA updates since day one and has not yet delivered.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #22
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

From experience just tell them you have issues with bluetooth connectivity. They wont be able to replicate(obviously) or find an error and will just update the idrive under warrant.

Dealers hate doing upgrades because it ties up their diagnostics for a prolonged period (hence often wanting to keep overnight and/or trying to charge) as it means the machines cant be used for other, faster paid work across multiple jobs.
Appreciate 0