BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2021, 03:55 AM   #1
bertenyi
Rep
Drives: G30 520d, G05 X5 45e

Issues with after updating to 11/2020.50

I have succesfully done my first OTA update to my G05 45e a few days ago: from 11/2020.38 to 11/2020.50.

I have to say I am less than pleased. The previous SW was almost flawless, while this new one has a few really annoying flaws:

- Randomly the car sometimes starts up in Hybrid mode as opposed to the default Electric Individual.

- Carplay has gotten more unreliable. It was not perfect before, but the number of bugs clearly increased. The most annoying one: Waze starts with a blank white screen, and have to re-start the app a few times to get it to work.

- And the most annoying flaw: the calculation of the average consumption in electric mode is now screwed. I typically get 25-28 KWh/100 km, and I like to watch this metric so I can learn how to drive more efficiently in this mode.
But now if I toggle between electric and Hybrid (by switching in an out of manual shift mode) the daily electric consumption calculation gets messed up. It seems to calculate the distance driven on ICE with 0 electric consumption and adds it to the electric consumption calculation. I.e. if I drive half electric and half ICE (in hybrid manual) I get 13-14 KWh/100km consumption shown for the day.
With the previous SW all this was done properly.

Anyone experience any of these symptoms? Any remedies?
Is there any way to force an "update" back to the old SW version?

Thanks...
B.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
bertenyi
Rep

OK, so for the 3rd point this is what I meant.

First picture showing the consumption calculation for the total Electric mileage. This is still from the old SW, and is correctly showing 26.6KWh/100 km.

Second picture showing consumption calculation for today's Electric mileage, obviously with the new SW (11/2020.50). This is obviously out of whack. 11.8KWh/100 km.
Somehow the new SW calculates adds the ICE mileage to the E-mileage and then divides it with the total Electric consumption.

Anyone else seen this??

B.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertenyi View Post
I have succesfully done my first OTA update to my G05 45e a few days ago: from 11/2020.38 to 11/2020.50.

I have to say I am less than pleased. The previous SW was almost flawless, while this new one has a few really annoying flaws:

- Randomly the car sometimes starts up in Hybrid mode as opposed to the default Electric Individual.

- Carplay has gotten more unreliable. It was not perfect before, but the number of bugs clearly increased. The most annoying one: Waze starts with a blank white screen, and have to re-start the app a few times to get it to work.

- And the most annoying flaw: the calculation of the average consumption in electric mode is now screwed. I typically get 25-28 KWh/100 km, and I like to watch this metric so I can learn how to drive more efficiently in this mode.
But now if I toggle between electric and Hybrid (by switching in an out of manual shift mode) the daily electric consumption calculation gets messed up. It seems to calculate the distance driven on ICE with 0 electric consumption and adds it to the electric consumption calculation. I.e. if I drive half electric and half ICE (in hybrid manual) I get 13-14 KWh/100km consumption shown for the day.
With the previous SW all this was done properly.

Anyone experience any of these symptoms? Any remedies?
Is there any way to force an "update" back to the old SW version?
1) the random switch to hybrid has been ongoing prior to 11/2020
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=random+hybrid
mine did it again yesterday (3rd time in 5 months). i noticed immediately it was my wife's driver profile showing (she's prefers hybrid mode) despite my fob inside the vehicle (default Electric mode). when i pressed the unlock button on my fob, my driver profile displayed and all other settings changed appropriately (seat, steering wheel, interior LED, EI driving mode).

2) i went from 11/2020.38 to 11/2020.64 directly (skipped 11/2020.50 OTA) and have always had solid CarPlay functionality. Waze is a hot topic but mostly that running the program while the phone sits in the wireless charging tray almost always causes the phone to overheat (iPhones only, i think). i don't use Waze.

3) maybe the metric is showing low because u just updated software, possibly resetting the variables for which it calculates? just postulating... i don't follow this metric but maybe i should

4) try reaching out to you nearest dealership about forcing an earlier software version.

have u rebooted the system at all?

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-08-2021 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
bertenyi
Rep

Thanks! I have not done a reboot after the SW update, maybe I should...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
HansC.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

As a heads-up: My X5 45e (DK) was shop-updated last week to 03/2021.46 so it seems that OTA updates are quite some versions behind. So far I haven’t noticed any gremlins in 03/2021.46 but I guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:51 AM   #6
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansC. View Post
As a heads-up: My X5 45e (DK) was shop-updated last week to 03/2021.46 so it seems that OTA updates are quite some versions behind. So far I haven’t noticed any gremlins in 03/2021.46 but I guess time will tell.
I got the same version yesterday at the dealer. I now have the traffic light assistant options in the settings, but they are not available in Finland. Do they work in Denmark?
Appreciate 1
HansC.3.00
      05-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #7
HansC.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansC. View Post
I got the same version yesterday at the dealer. I now have the traffic light assistant options in the settings, but they are not available in Finland. Do they work in Denmark?
Traffic light assistant seems to be a nice feature but it's not available here in DK either.
Appreciate 0