07-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Installing a grille badge on a BMW X5 G05

Hey Folks!
Every BMW that I've owned I've enjoyed mounting a BMW CCA grille badge on the front grille. When I purchased my BMW X5 G05 I realized that mounting a grille badge was going to be practically impossible using the same mounting methods as my older BMWs (For one thing, my other BMWs (like my F82 M4) didn't have the "moving open & close grille shutters":

The first thing I did was order those "//M" plastic grille inserts from Amazon. I recall the price being around $25. Some folks snap in these plastic inserts and leave them as is. For me, it was to provide a means to glue my grille badge to the plastic inserts without destroying the original grille:

Using Rustoleum GLOSS ("Glossy" and NOT "semi-gloss" as glossy is shinier and matches the stock, black OEM grille perfectly) I painted 3 coats onto the plastic grille inserts. NOTE: I did use dish washing soap to thoroughly clean the plastic grill inserts prior to painting.:

Next I attached the what was once RED and PURPLE grille inserts onto my grille. Note that this would be, counting from right to left on my OEM grille, the #2 and #3 grille slots. Also note that I had positioned where I wanted my grille badge to be mounted and used sand paper to remove the black paint from that area and roughed it up a bit to ensure better adhesion:

Here's the badge I wanted to put on. Using a Dremel tool I removed the center screw post from the back so just to make sure it didn't impeded the grille slats opening/closing in any way:

I also sanded the areas on the grille badge where I would be applying the JB Weld 2-part glue:

I then applied JB Weld 2-part glue to the back side of the grille badge and attached it to my black OEM grille. NOTE: It was helpful to have someone assist in attaching blue tape to the grille so I could ensure that I was NOT accidentally sliding the grille badge around while trying to use my other hand to secure the grille badge with tape while it was drying:

And after 1-hour of drying (NOTE: JB Weld 2-part glue dries pretty fast), I removed the blue tape and VOILA!
Grille Badge securely mounted!:

I hope this helps others in finding a way to attach a grille badge securely.

Cheers,
-Tony
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 3
hiki08173.50
-=LD=-17.00