BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
bmw2791
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i

Reverse Assistant - Standard feature?

Reverse Assistant is a standard feature in BMW X5 2019?

The feature in which the car reverses out of tight spaces by itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

With parking package and I love it use it every day
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
bmw2791
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
With parking package and I love it use it every day
Oh I see. So reverse assistant is not a standard feature under "driving assistant"? I was under the impression that it is a standard feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2791 View Post
Oh I see. So reverse assistant is not a standard feature under "driving assistant"? I was under the impression that it is a standard feature.
I think the reverse assistant IS standard, in that it shows you distances and alerts when you get close to something when backing up. Parking assistant adds automated parking. I got that in my car but haven’t tried it.

I back in to park next to my house, and it goes nuts when I get really close to the house. This is NOT using the parking assist. I’ve only had the car since yesterday so haven’t tried everything yet. Otherwise I haven’t parked anywhere else either.

You can see all the standard features in a variety of places - including your car’s owners manual, which is produced for the specific features your car has.

Having said that, my owners manual includes settings for the HUD, which I don’t have, but not for other driving/safety features I DON’T have, like intelligent cruise control.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I think the reverse assistant IS standard, in that it shows you distances and alerts when you get close to something when backing up. !
Reversing Assistant is the feature of the Parking Assistance package that will do the steering for backing up the last 165ft, you just do the brake and gas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

While looking at the 2020 pricing guide I noticed that they have a note that the Backup Assistant is included in the Parking Assistant Plus. In addition to that being part of the Parking Assistance Package it is also included in the Executive Package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
While looking at the 2020 pricing guide I noticed that they have a note that the Backup Assistant is included in the Parking Assistant Plus. In addition to that being part of the Parking Assistance Package it is also included in the Executive Package.
Park distance control, front and rear, is standard. It is listed under comfort and convenience features.

“BMW Park Distance Control (or PDC) is a system that warns drivers of nearby objects when parking. The system works only on the rear of some older vehicles but works on both the front and rear of newer BMW models. The system uses ultrasonic sensors embedded in the vehicle to detect objects.”

The system uses ultrasonic sensors embedded in the vehicle to detect objects. Once the vehicle is within approximately 3 feet of the object a warning tone sounds to notify the driver. As you get closer the frequency of the warning tone's beeping increases, until it becomes a solid tone when the vehicle is approximately 12 inches away from the nearest obstruction. Depending on the vehicle model and equipment the system may also include a visual representation of the car's situation on the iDrive screen.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owners...ontrol-122327/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Park distance control, front and rear, is standard. It is listed under comfort and convenience features.

“BMW Park Distance Control (or PDC) is a system that warns drivers of nearby objects when parking. The system works only on the rear of some older vehicles but works on both the front and rear of newer BMW models. The system uses ultrasonic sensors embedded in the vehicle to detect objects.”

The system uses ultrasonic sensors embedded in the vehicle to detect objects. Once the vehicle is within approximately 3 feet of the object a warning tone sounds to notify the driver. As you get closer the frequency of the warning tone's beeping increases, until it becomes a solid tone when the vehicle is approximately 12 inches away from the nearest obstruction. Depending on the vehicle model and equipment the system may also include a visual representation of the car's situation on the iDrive screen.

Backup assistant is different than what you have shared.

06-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That is correct however Reversing/Backup Assistant is not.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Backup assistant is different than what you have shared.

The point is - this basic feature is standard. I DO have parking assist upgrade on my car, but this parking feature is always active.

I can’t find backup assistant listed anywhere on BMW as either standard or an option. Kinda frustrating, and as usual, confusing. Can you find it?

Maybe is it a term they don’t use any more.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I can’t find backup assistant listed anywhere on BMW as either standard or an option. Kinda frustrating, and as usual, confusing. Can you find it?
Maybe is it a term they don’t use any more.
It is listed in the pricing guide that I posted. I believe it is a brand new feature with iDrive 7 but haven't looked into that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It is listed in the pricing guide that I posted. I believe it is a brand new feature with iDrive 7 but haven't looked into that.
Ok, they call it reversing assistant. That’s why I couldn’t find it.
Good discussion! And as always, thanks again!

I kinda doubt anyone orders this car without some added features, but I’ve seen quite a few base models listed in dealer inventories.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, they call it reversing assistant. That’s why I couldn’t find it.
Good discussion! And as always, thanks again!
They call it both which doesn't help, the pricing guide has Backup and iiDrive has Backup but the Manual has Reversing as well as Back-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
sugarbimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:

Does the beeping get annoying when entering the garage? I have a narrow garage opening (95") and am concerned that the beeping will distract me from entering and exiting properly. Anybody with experience on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #15
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbimer View Post
Does the beeping get annoying when entering the garage? I have a narrow garage opening (95") and am concerned that the beeping will distract me from entering and exiting properly. Anybody with experience on this?
Yes, I get beeping all the time when I drive into my garage. You just have to get used to it. I usually back into the garage and the backup view in the display shows me everything I am near.

BTW no matter how wide your garage entrance is your car is always within one foot of something; stuff gets in the way
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbimer View Post
Quote:

You can lower the volume of PDC (Park distance control) in the audio settings.
Appreciate 0