05-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #23
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Does the dynamic handling package have stiffer springs than the regular adaptive suspension? Or is it just active rollbars and 4 wheel steering?
DHP? It's the later:

1. Adaptive M suspension Professional
2. EARS (electronic active roll suspension)
3. GHAS (M electromechanical rear differential lock)
4. IAS (integral active steering)

The vehicle kinematics (handling, springs) and elastokinematics (bushings, dampers) for the wheel suspension, independent suspension and damping settings are model specific - 40i, 50i, M50i.

TLDR; DHP doesn't include the prior, it's the model that determines the model specific tuning.

Currently DHP is only available on the M50i. Optioning, DHP adds more to the vehicle dynamics specifically in significantly reducing body roll, sportier dampening, additional traction with rear differential, higher speed agility and low speed maneuverability with IAS.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #24
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

When they call it adaptive M suspension it’s not really the same X5 M suspension right? It’s just called that so it sounds good for marketing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When they call it adaptive M suspension it's not really the same X5 M suspension right? It's just called that so it sounds good for marketing?
That's correct, it's not the same as the X5 M suspension. Well ja it's bit of "M" marketing (versus ///M marketing) but there's truth to the marketing.

Many BMW enthusiasts who prioritize sportier handling or adaptive driving dynamics will option the adaptive suspension over the base.

2VF Adaptive M suspension (standard on 40i with M Sport package and standard on M50i) offers a modified suspension and damping characteristics compared to the basic chassis and suspension via Driving Experience Control - (Comfort, Sport, Adaptive modes). The Sport driving mode offers a sportier damping ride.

2VW Adaptive M suspension Professional chassis and suspension package upgrades 2VF and influences more on the cornering behavior of the X5 by working in conjunction with ARS and VDP (verticals dynamic platform). It provides a significant reduction in the roll angle of the body during cornering and neutral driving with low understeering tendencies. The increase in driving dynamics doesn't come at the expense of driving comfort.

Appreciate 1
UltraDave127.00
      05-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #26
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
That's correct, it's not the same as the X5 M suspension. Well ja it's bit of "M" marketing (versus ///M marketing) but there's truth to the marketing.

Many BMW enthusiasts who prioritize sportier handling or adaptive driving dynamics will option the adaptive suspension over the base.

2VF Adaptive M suspension (standard on 40i with M Sport package and standard on M50i) offers a modified suspension and damping characteristics compared to the basic chassis and suspension via Driving Experience Control - (Comfort, Sport, Adaptive modes). The Sport driving mode offers a sportier damping ride.

2VW Adaptive M suspension Professional chassis and suspension package upgrades 2VF and influences more on the cornering behavior of the X5 by working in conjunction with ARS and VDP (verticals dynamic platform). It provides a significant reduction in the roll angle of the body during cornering and neutral driving with low understeering tendencies. The increase in driving dynamics doesn't come at the expense of driving comfort.
So do you think that the springs on a 40i are the same as an 40i M sport, and likewise 50i has the same springs as the M50i? Then the real difference is in the electronic shocks, rollbars, and electronic differential?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #27
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So do you think that the springs on a 40i are the same as an 40i M sport, and likewise 50i has the same springs as the M50i? Then the real difference is in the electronic shocks, rollbars, and electronic differential?
Reviewing the various front/rear suspension part numbers on Bimmercat, I was able to discern the following between 40i xLine standard suspension and 40i M Sport with 2VF Adaptive M:

1. Same front/rear spring struts
2. Differing front stabilizers
3. Same rear stabilizers
4. Front axle wishbone, tension strut are identical with the exception of the vibration wishbone absorber which varies based on wheel size option eg 20, 21, 22
5. Rear axle identical and varies whether or not 40i xLine is optioned with Offroad Package (includes M rear differential).

Between 50i and 2020 M50i (2VF standard) - they’re all different parts - front spring struts a different, stabilizers etc. The earlier 2019 50i with M Sport package (package no longer an option on 50i with M50i release) will be closer to 50i.

Appreciate 2
UltraDave127.00
Ilyam5893.00