BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Eibach doesn’t have the parts for the M50i yet so I don’t think that it true.
I would do a bit more research. Virtually all the BMW community believes they are rebranded Pros, but either way it does appear they are coming from Eibach.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #24
Colinhuemmer
Bimmer4Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
The struts will need replacing at an earlier interval..... with ANY lowering spring.

Eibach makes a great product in that, they have a similar ride quality to stock, while offering a moderate drop, and a moderate improvement in appearance.

They will do NOTHING for handling/performance though.

The downside.... is that they are "soft" by comparison to most aftermarket springs..... so they will sag over time, and they will cause quicker wear on your struts too.

Stiffer lowering springs will extend strut life somewhat.... and will likely offer a lower drop, and better handling. The downside though, is that the ride quality will be noticeably more harsh.

It really depends on what you want, and what sacrifices you are willing to make.

For moderate drop, moderate appearance upgrade, and comfortable ride....but reduced strut life..... I recommend the Eibach pro-kit.

*** DO NOT BUY Eibach's more aggressive (even lower) lowering spring. I can't remember what they call it.... but it is just as "soft" as the pro-kit.... but much lower. They sag just as quickly, and because they are SO low, and SO soft.... your struts will be gone in a year..... no joke. EDIT: They are called the "Eibach Sportline". Don't buy those pieces of s**t, you will destroy your car.

For aggressive drop, aggressive handling upgrade, better strut life (than Eibach anyhow) but harsh ride.... I recommend Vogtland springs.

The only way you will get the best of both worlds..... is to buy a matched set of struts and springs. I recommend Koni Yellow struts, and your choice of springs. Koni's are engineered to work with lowering springs, adjustable, and will likely outlast your factory struts.

I'm not bashing the pro-kit at all. I've used them MANY times over the past 25 years. However, I've learned their shortcomings. The last car I used them on was my 2014 328i, but that time... I was smart, and I coupled them with Koni Yellows. Car handled PHENOMENAL.... ride quality was impeccable.... and the car looked better too. Struts were $700, springs were $250ish if I recall, and the whole setup was worth every penny.

Ironically, when I traded in the car, I removed the suspension, the MPerformance BBK, and converted it back to stock. My new 2016 340i had adaptive suspension, and it was an Msport, so I didn't feel the need to lower it. I sold the springs on eBay in a matter of hours. The Koni Yellow struts?? Are still sitting in my basement... 5 years later. No one wanted them. They wanted the "look" of a lowered car, but didn't want to spend a few extra bucks to have the handling and reliability. Bizarre.
I just did quick search to try and find your recommended set-up.. it does not appear Koni makes a strut for the G05.. yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #25
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Hi all - in answer to my own thread - I went and ahead and installed the Eibachs. They ride great and provide a nice moderate drop. Pics here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1771926
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 02:26 AM   #26
LM50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M50i

What if one or all 4 struts goes bad over time with the eibach springs. You reinstall the OEM springs and take it to the dealership. Will this be covered under warranty? Will they look for signs of tampering with the suspension and void your warranty? (4 year warranty BMW plus)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #27
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM50i View Post
What if one or all 4 struts goes bad over time with the eibach springs. You reinstall the OEM springs and take it to the dealership. Will this be covered under warranty? Will they look for signs of tampering with the suspension and void your warranty? (4 year warranty BMW plus)
If the struts fail with aftermarket springs you get your wallet out and buy some more struts.

Warranty fraud drives up the price of cars and service and it is also why we can't unlock and tune/modify our cars anymore.

I tune and modify every car I buy and it's so frustrating that we are all getting slowly locked out and I have never asked a manufacturer to pay for something I broke.
Appreciate 1
LM50i20.00