BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2023, 08:11 PM   #1
pleasestophowannoying
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 m60i

Dash Cam Mounting

So I picked up my new X5 last weekend (finally!) and bought 2 Garmin dash cams.

I was debating on where to mount the front camera, and initially I wanted to mount it right under the rear view mirror, but wanted to also ask about mounting the camera on the bottom of the windshield. If I were to mount it as pictured, are there any sensors or anything I need to worry about blocking?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Don't know about sensors where you have marked, but I always mount my dash cams behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. I think it gives the best view of the area in front of me without obstructing my view. I would suggest that you power the camera and using the display on the camera, if it has one, or, if not, view it on your phone and hold the camera in various places to see which position gives you the view you like best.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:49 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasestophowannoying View Post
So I picked up my new X5 last weekend (finally!) and bought 2 Garmin dash cams.

I was debating on where to mount the front camera, and initially I wanted to mount it right under the rear view mirror, but wanted to also ask about mounting the camera on the bottom of the windshield. If I were to mount it as pictured, are there any sensors or anything I need to worry about blocking?
If you want it to pick up license plate numbers, it should be mounted as high as possible. This gives it more time to capture the plate number since some vehicles are low to the ground
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Don't know about sensors where you have marked, but I always mount my dash cams behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. I think it gives the best view of the area in front of me without obstructing my view. I would suggest that you power the camera and using the display on the camera, if it has one, or, if not, view it on your phone and hold the camera in various places to see which position gives you the view you like best.
there is a photosensitive sensor behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side (on the X5). best not to block it
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #5
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
there is a photosensitive sensor behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side (on the X5). best not to block it
Good point. I forgot about that sensor, but you can still mount the camera behind the mirror and clear the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
pleasestophowannoying
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 m60i

Interesting—do you guys know what that sensor is? My e-zpass is currently mounted behind the mirror on the passenger side. Might have to move that to top passenger corner.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasestophowannoying View Post
Interesting—do you guys know what that sensor is? My e-zpass is currently mounted behind the mirror on the passenger side. Might have to move that to top passenger corner.
it’s for auto dimming of the rear view and driver side mirrors
Appreciate 1