BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Disconnect Battery from Vehicle

If say for example, I wanted to remove the steering wheel airbag.
I know I need to disconnect the large vehicle negative battery under the rear cargo area, but what about the smaller auxiliary battery under the hood on the passenger side at the back of the engine compartment?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

No need. I've done it on my X5M swapping the paddles and just doing the rear battery was enough.
      01-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #3
WellsX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M-Sport

Do you lose all the programming in the computer when disconnecting the battery?
Wondering as I need to replace an amp this weekend and debating disconnecting the battery or not.
      01-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #4
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
No need. I've done it on my X5M swapping the paddles and just doing the rear battery was enough.
Good to know. Thank you. Though I had a trim piece on the steering wheel replaced (creaking noise) by the dealer and it looks like he may have turned off battery power by the small auxiliary battery under the hood. Or something in that same compartment. I know he didn't disconnect the main battery in the rear. Hmm?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #5
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsX5 View Post
Wondering as I need to replace an amp this weekend and debating disconnecting the battery or not.
It's basically the same as rebooting iDrive. You might have to operate the tailgate a couple times to get it to sync up after reconnecting.
WellsX553.50
      01-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsX5 View Post
Disconnecting the battery in the trunk didn't wipe out anything in my case and I probably had it unplugged for a good hour.

Alan
      01-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Check your owners manual...the sunroof may need a reset after a battery nap (loss of power). And on some BMW models the one-touch windows, clock, and date may need a reset after a battery nap. But it also may depend on how long the cable is disconnected.

Also, if you do have an aux battery...if you disconnect the main battery...the vehicle is NOT totally de-energized according to the TIS. So do be careful when disconnecting airbag and SRS/MRS electrical connections if you haven't disconnected both batteries....there is a risk of shorting if you leave the aux battery attached. So just be careful & aware of the risk.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-26-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
WellsX553.50
      06-27-2023, 08:29 AM   #8
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 40i Skyscraper Grey

I am trying to swap my paddle shifters for carbon ones. The job itself is fairly easy to perform according to videos I’ve seen online.

Basically you disconnect the negative terminal from the trunk battery and that should allow you to remove the center block of the steering wheel and get them changed.

The issue for me is that the new G06 LCI comes with the BMW MHEV technology and by disconnecting the negative cable in the trunk alone didn’t seem to have powered off the steering wheel as the horn was still working so I didn't proceed worrying I could set the airbag off.

Wondering if anyone can guide me through how to disengage the airbag to carry out the job?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 08:45 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioccuk View Post
I am trying to swap my paddle shifters for carbon ones. The job itself is fairly easy to perform according to videos I’ve seen online.

Basically you disconnect the negative terminal from the trunk battery and that should allow you to remove the center block of the steering wheel and get them changed.

The issue for me is that the new G06 LCI comes with the BMW MHEV technology and by disconnecting the negative cable in the trunk alone didn’t seem to have powered off the steering wheel as the horn was still working so I didn't proceed worrying I could set the airbag off.

Wondering if anyone can guide me through how to disengage the airbag to carry out the job?

Thanks in advance
For a pre LCI MHEV with the 48 v Li-on battery: I can't speak to the airbag but once you open the engine hood/bonnet, that automatically disconnects the Li-on battery but to be sure, once you have the hood open, get in the car with your key fob and press the start button three times in succession quickly without your foot on the brake. You should then see a msg in the bottom center of the dash that says your 48v system is disconnected. Once you do that and confirm its disconnected, then you can go in the cargo area/boot and remove the negative terminal from the battery and wrap it in a towel so there's no chance it will fall somewhere and touch ground.

WARNING: Never close the engine hood/bonnet if the rear cargo area battery is still disconnected as this will/may (according to BMW) damage the Li-on battery because closing the engine hood/bonnet will automatically reconnect the Li-on battery back into the electrical circuit.

Last edited by Marty in NY; 06-27-2023 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Added warning
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2023, 08:46 AM   #10
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
For a pre LCI MHEV with the 48 v Li-on battery: I can't speak to the airbag but once you open the engine hood/bonnet, that automatically disconnects the Li-on battery but to be sure, once you have the hood open, get in the car with your key fob and press the start button three times in succession quickly without your foot on the brake. You should then see a msg in the bottom center of the dash that says your 48v system is disconnected. Once you do that and confirm its disconnected, then you can go in the cargo area/boot and remove the negative terminal from the battery and wrap it in a towel so there's no chance it will fall somewhere and touch ground.
Can't thank you enough, so simple and still I would never know. Thank you a lot, got the paddles swapped like a charm.

Last edited by julioccuk; 06-27-2023 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 09:02 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Trying in a minute, will let you know. Thanks a lot for now.
WARNING: I forgot to mention this in my last post but.....never close the engine hood/bonnet if the rear cargo area battery is still disconnected as this will/may (according to BMW) damage the Li-on battery because closing the engine hood/bonnet will automatically reconnect the Li-on battery back into the electrical circuit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #12
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
WARNING: I forgot to mention this in my last post but.....never close the engine hood/bonnet if the rear cargo area battery is still disconnected as this will/may (according to BMW) damage the Li-on battery because closing the engine hood/bonnet will automatically reconnect the Li-on battery back into the electrical circuit.
Thanks for that but I figured and left it open the whole time and only closed after the negative terminal was back to its place in the trunk battery. All seems fine and functioning. No warnings.

Thanks a lot again.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2023, 10:06 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that but I figured and left it open the whole time and only closed after the negative terminal was back to its place in the trunk battery. All seems fine and functioning. No warnings.

Thanks a lot again.
Whew!

BTW, I know were Redhill is, I used to live in Maidstone.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #14
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Whew!

BTW, I know were Redhill is, I used to live in Maidstone.
Yeah, it's a lovely little place with great connections to central London and 10 miles from Gatwick which is brilliant.

Been here since 2019 and so far so good.
Appreciate 0