BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Closed Thread

06-22-2023, 12:49 AM   #1
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Stealership installed tracking device on X5

We are becoming nowadays more and more aware of our personal data and we'd like that date to be used in a fair manner and NOT abused.

If you don't remember the "genius" mentioning it or any other wording in your lease contract pertaining to your vehicle being monitored by whoever from the stealership, we are in the same boat.
->

That's how a stealership installed GPS tracking device looks like.
So much for the privacy of the bmw customer. Not mentioning their unwillingness to share the existence of such "equipment" with the lessee.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  313.1 KB

And this is where I've found it:

Name:  aa.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  249.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 03:16 AM   #2
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I found one on my new X5 as there were wires hanging down under where the driver's legs are. This was only a day after I had mine. I called them about it not knowing what it was and they said that it should have been taken off and to return to the dealership to have it removed. I bought my car, I didn't lease it. I think they put them on all the cars when they get delivered as they had 2 stolen off the lot. There also was a sticker on the door panel where the tire info is.

Last edited by B767capt; 06-22-2023 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #3
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Spireon is a fleet asset management device that dealerships use in order to manage inventory. The device is installed when the vehicle is taken into inventory. They weren’t trying to track you..they simply forgot to remove it prior to delivery. I don’t think you can (or should) remove it yourself. Have your dealership remove it.
Appreciate 3
realdah57.00
eelnoraa2032.50
Swappy531.50
      06-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #4
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

LOL, where is your location?
      06-22-2023, 08:36 AM   #5
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
Spireon is a fleet asset management device that dealerships use in order to manage inventory. The device is installed when the vehicle is taken into inventory. They weren’t trying to track you..they simply forgot to remove it prior to delivery. I don’t think you can (or should) remove it yourself. Have your dealership remove it.
Yes, they were emphatic that I don't remove it myself. I don't know, maybe it will shut the car down.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:48 AM   #6
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

How does the Vehicle Finder on the My BMW app know the precise location of my car?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
How does the Vehicle Finder on the My BMW app know the precise location of my car?
Through the vehicle's cell connection.
      06-22-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Spireon is a fleet asset management device that dealerships use in order to manage inventory. The device is installed when the vehicle is taken into inventory.
That's basically accurate...

Quote:
They weren’t trying to track you..they simply forgot to remove it prior to delivery. I don’t think you can (or should) remove it yourself. Have your dealership remove it.
...but this is misleading. They may not be 'trying' to track anyone, but they did go through the effort of installing a tracking device on a vehicle that they then sold to a customer. The intentions are irrelevant to me, and beyond the tracking I would never accept a brand new vehicle that some low level tech had wired electronics into my $80k car.

My old E70 was an electrical nightmare, some of which was caused by someone installing a laser jammer under the hood that they then removed while leaving the wiring.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be OK with a dealer messing with their brand new car like this.
      06-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #9
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
...but this is misleading. They may not be 'trying' to track anyone, but they did go through the effort of installing a tracking device on a vehicle that they then sold to a customer. The intentions are irrelevant to me, and beyond the tracking I would never accept a brand new vehicle that some low level tech had wired electronics into my $80k car.

My old E70 was an electrical nightmare, some of which was caused by someone installing a laser jammer under the hood that they then removed while leaving the wiring.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be OK with a dealer messing with their brand new car like this.
Nothing I said was misleading. This isn’t a new practice…asset tracking technology has been around for some time now. Maybe not the case in Iowa but in metropolitan areas there’s a number of use cases (e.g theft prevention). It isn’t your car until you sign the paperwork… how the dealership chooses to protect its assets is up to them.
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
Vnoxdev39.50
      06-22-2023, 01:50 PM   #10
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Nothing I said was misleading. This isn’t a new practice…asset tracking technology has been around for some time now. Maybe not the case in Iowa but in metropolitan areas there’s a number of use cases (e.g theft prevention). It isn’t your car until you sign the paperwork… how the dealership chooses to protect its assets is up to them.
Agree here, I would imagine that even dealers do not want to leave this device to customer and have zero reason to risking to track your car.

However, this incident shows some potential issues in this dealer's delivery procedures / experience.

Most likely, if they forgot to remove this device, they could also missed some other steps supposed to be part of new car delivery inspection etc. Or, maybe over-thinking, could be just a tired service guy who wasn't in good mood that day.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:08 PM   #11
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't care what you call it.
That is a GPS Tracking device connected to my vehicle's Li-Ion battery and on - meaning continuously monitoring the location of my vehicle and mine as well - which should not be doing that WITHOUT MY CONSENT!

"They forgot" what is this? kindergarten?
Is that why we're paying them buckets of money? For "they simply forgot"? Why they won't simply do their job correctly?
I don't know about others, but only adults work at the dealership I leased mine.

And of course I took it out myself, absolutely no problem with taking off the stealership installed TRACKING device SPIREON, no problem with the removal neither after that!

Too many stealership interest bearers on this forum. It becomes boring as it seem to serve mostly their interest.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      06-23-2023, 12:10 PM   #12
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
LOL, where is your location?
Phoenix, Arizona

For those interested, check both your batteries and their enclosures.
Those devices need to be continuously powered on.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #13
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remeeno View Post
That is a GPS Tracking device connected to my vehicle's Li-Ion battery and on - meaning continuously monitoring the location of my vehicle and mine as well - which should not be doing that WITHOUT MY CONSENT!

Is that why we're paying them buckets of money? For "they simply forgot"? Why they won't simply do their job correctly?
I don't know about others, but only adults work at the dealership I leased mine.

And of course I took it out myself, absolutely no problem with taking off the stealership installed TRACKING device SPIREON, no problem with the removal neither after that!

Too many stealership interest bearers on this forum. It becomes boring as it seem to serve mostly their interest.
Not sure what you’re so upset about and I’m certainly not a “stealership interest bearer.” Yes, it’s a GPS tracking device and I was just educating you on what that device is utilized for as I’m quite familiar with the product/technology as I use it in my profession.

You do realize you’re posting on a public forum where your IP address is broadcasted?lol…. It’s not that serious, lighten up.
Appreciate 4
arRod1981912.00
Swappy531.50
omasou2088.00
      06-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #14
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:

Do you need to repeat the word "stealsership" so many times? If you don't like the dealer you're working with, find another one. Or Tesla is an option.

My 8th BMW is in production. I've been happy to work with good dealers and have had good deals in all except the first one (when I didn't know anything about invoice, MSRP, money factor). They didn't try to steal from me.
And it's funny to see "Too many stealership interest bearers on this forum." Quite a comment.

I never thought I was that important for my dealer to track my movements. But I don't question, some people may be important.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      06-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #15
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Nothing I said was misleading. This isn’t a new practice…asset tracking technology has been around for some time now. Maybe not the case in Iowa but in metropolitan areas there’s a number of use cases (e.g theft prevention).
I'm very familiar with the technology--I live in Iowa, not on another planet. There's a Sprireon office a few miles from me and one of my best friends is a middle manager there.

Quote:
It isn’t your car until you sign the paperwork… how the dealership chooses to protect its assets is up to them.
There are definitely exceptions to that--I paid for a large portion of my X5 before the dealer even ordered it.

The "aw shucks, we forgot to remove our device" routine doesn't work nearly as well when we're talking about GPS tracking devices. Hell, there are probably locales where a law was broken by delivering a car without disclosing the device.

Quote:

I gotta agree with this--I mean, everyone here would be OK with discovering a tracking device on their wife's car? Who's to say that the dealership 'forgot' rather than a rogue ex-con employee left it there on purpose?

If one of my employees left a tracking device in a customer's car the odds are good that I would no longer employ that person.
      06-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #16
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Your BMW and most new cars have GPS tracking built into the vehicle.

If the FBI TV show is to be believed they can turn it on remotely.

Even if they cannot, BMW can find the vehicle, e.g. when stolen.

Once you deactivate and rip out all of the devices, don't forget to leave your phone, watch, etc. at home.

I think BMW and Big Brother have more important things to do than worry about your location. /s

Does BMW Assist track my vehicle's location?

No, the BMW Assist system only transmits your vehicle's location:

1. When the vehicle initiates the Automatic Collision Notification service after a severe impact occurs

2. When the "Concierge," "Customer Relations" or "Service Request" menu option is pushed or when the vehicle's sensors detect the need for upcoming services and the system automatically transmits service information to your local BMW center on BMW Assist-equipped 2004 and later 5 and 6 Series, 2006 and later 7 Series and 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagon, 2007 and later X5 and 3 Series, 2008 and later X6 and 1 Series, 2009 and later Z4, 2011 and later X3, and 2013 and later X1

3. When you request service by pushing the "SOS," "Wrench," "Emergency" or "Roadside Assistance" button

4. If you request Stolen Vehicle Recovery service by calling (888) 333-6118 after filing your police report (on all 7 Series produced 9/05 and later and all other 2005 and later BMW Assist-equipped and activated models produced 10/04 or later.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      06-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #17
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
I'm very familiar with the technology--I live in Iowa, not on another planet. There's a Sprireon office a few miles from me and one of my best friends is a middle manager there.

The "aw shucks, we forgot to remove our device" routine doesn't work nearly as well when we're talking about GPS tracking devices. Hell, there are probably locales where a law was broken by delivering a car without disclosing the device.
Even more reason why this was a mistake rather than deliberate. Dont think a dealership is intentionally looking for a lawsuit. If you're very familiar with the technology/product than you would know how the product is marketed. Its not even a B2C product...If someone was really trying to track you this wouldn't be the product theyd use let alone would they even be able to get ahold of it or have access to the UI to utilize it in that manner. Sounds like the OP is having issue with their dealer and this just struck a chord.

Just another ridiculous thread.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      06-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #18
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Even more reason why this was a mistake rather than deliberate. Dont think a dealership is intentionally looking for a lawsuit. If you're very familiar with the technology/product than you would know how the product is marketed. Its not even a B2C product...If someone was really trying to track you this wouldn't be the product theyd use let alone would they even be able to get ahold of it or have access to the UI to utilize it in that manner. Sounds like the OP is having issue with their dealer and this just struck a chord.

Just another ridiculous thread.

lol - just another ridiculous thread still you've been commenting more on it than on a less ridiculous one
words do not match the attitude

you are just making the assumption the STEALERSHIP (dedication to those who requested more usage of this word) left it there by mistake while having no proof for that...
I don't buy the idea the stealerships are innocent puppies who sometimes can get it wrong. If you do, good for you but that is not the actual reality
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      06-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #19
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Do you need to repeat the word "stealsership" so many times? If you don't like the dealer you're working with, find another one. Or Tesla is an option.

My 8th BMW is in production. I've been happy to work with good dealers and have had good deals in all except the first one (when I didn't know anything about invoice, MSRP, money factor). They didn't try to steal from me.
And it's funny to see "Too many stealership interest bearers on this forum." Quite a comment.

I never thought I was that important for my dealer to track my movements. But I don't question, some people may be important.

BREAKING NEWS !

no one mentioned stealsership as in "Do you need to repeat the word "stealsership" so many times?" except you!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #20
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

I'd guess they want another way to to track the vehicle if it's stolen from the dealer lot, which happens more often with Hellcats and the like, but you never know.

If it was as easy to spot as the pics indicate, it wouldn't be that effective either way. If they really wanted to track you, they would do a better job of hiding the thing.
      06-23-2023, 02:07 PM   #21
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
There are definitely exceptions to that--I paid for a large portion of my X5 before the dealer even ordered it.

Not that it matters but whether you give no deposit or a very large one, it is not your vehicle until the papers are signed at delivery. We have seen a number of instances of the dealer deciding not to sell the vehicle to the person who ordered it or asking for more money, they can just give the deposit back and move on. Binding contracts are rarely used in the industry but even with them ownership is not assigned prior to the paperwork being finalized and are usually just secured by deposit.
Swappy531.50
      06-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #22
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you’re so upset about and I’m certainly not a “stealership interest bearer.” Yes, it’s a GPS tracking device and I was just educating you on what that device is utilized for as I’m quite familiar with the product/technology as I use it in my profession.

You do realize you’re posting on a public forum where your IP address is broadcasted?lol…. It’s not that serious, lighten up.

I did not expect anything less than threatening behavior from an user advocating for the mfgr/ stealership's interests. It resembles the lack of arguments and the bullying behaviour encountered in conversation with a bmw stealership rep.

Why are you splashing truisms around? The IP is public, so what? Why do you care? Why would I care?
Why do you feel like mentioning that to another user of this forum? For what purpose?

Threats are used by those who have no arguments. They have zero effect on me.

I'm sorry user, but you can't even convince a baby with just bedtime stories and threats.

This is supposed to be a decent forum and those who manage it probably should be looking into such behavior very closely.

Ohh, this is cracking me up, can't stop laughin' :
"You do realize you’re posting on a public forum where your IP address is broadcasted?"
Oh, yeah, I do know. I know that from the moment I signed up - because it was disclosed! There was no disclosure in case of the spireon GPS tracking device.
It's really not that difficult to see the difference.

Last edited by STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON; 06-23-2023 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
Closed Thread