BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
NorwegianBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Potentially odd charging question

For the past year, I have run a 100' heavy-gauge 20amp extension cord to charge my car in my townhouse's carport parking spot, but that's not an ideal solution for many reasons.

So I'm being a bit of a pioneer in my townhouse cluster: I'm installing a level 2 charger in my carport's dedicated parking space. This is a big deal in the cluster, since no-one has done it before and I live in a planned community that is effectively a large HOA. It required running an underground conduit for the 240V line from my house to the carport, again, about 100' from the house (I'm having the front courtyard completely redone so laying the conduit wasn't that big a deal).

I went ahead and purchased a hardwired ChargePoint HomeFlex charger, an app-controlled smart charger.

I'm just realizing that the parking spot is far enough away from the house that I'll need to install a signal booster in the courtyard to reach the charger.

My question is if I can still use the charger if it is not hooked up to the internet since it will be a few weeks before we can get that extender installed -- can I use it as a dumb charger?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

WiFi connectivity should not matter for the basic operation of the EVSE. With connectivity, you'd be able to monitor it and set charging windows, but while some people really want those functions, they aren't a requirement.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 06:53 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
can its settings be configured without the app? the reason why I ask is that one should exercise caution if there’s a chance its default settings are a danger to the setup (vehicle, circuit, etc)
Appreciate 0