BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2023, 06:47 PM   #1
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
Picked up my new 50e last week (previously had 45e) and really liking the car, but the stock Conti tires are exceptionally loud at highway speeds. The Bridgestone Alenza tires on my 45e rode very quiet. As far as I can tell it’s just the driver front tire that’s exhibiting a nasty resonance in the 70-75 mph range. I’ve had many new BMWs and never had such a terrible road noise from anything direct from the factory. I took it back to the dealer for them to review and was told the aggressive tread pattern on the Crosscontacts is to blame.

Anyone else having similar issues with this tire? At this point I want to swap out the tires, but given the car is brand new I think that either BMW or Conti should step up. Open to suggestions for how to best handle the situation.

Thanks. Bob
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

I posted about this road noise earlier...It's coming from the left front and is not just Conti's. I have Pirelli 21s and only solution is to turn up the radio. It does seem to be road specific. On smoother roads the sound is not near as bad. Took my 50e back to dealer and test drove another with 21's. Same noise. I was really surprised on a car at this price point. I did consider swapping for 20 inch wheels and Michelins but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Otherwise I love the car and guess I've gotten used to it until I get in my wife's X7 and reminded just how quiet and smooth it is.
Appreciate 2
GTGuy32.50
      06-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I have the Conti Crosscontact LX SSR too but I am surprised as to how quiet they are at all speeds and how smooth they are. I hate runflats but these are pretty good. I think you may have 1 defective tire that is causing harmonics? Honestly in my experience if they can find that bad tire causing the noise and replace it they can but replacing all 4 is wishful. Otherwise just put some nice Bridgestones or Michelins on them.
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #4
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
Appreciate the feedback from you both. I picked up the car last weekend and did a 4 hr round trip to/from Atlanta, so less than 500 miles on the tires. I might try and replace just the front driver tire and see if it makes a difference, because as far as I can tell it’s just that one tire. If that doesn’t work I’ll wear them down and replace with some Michelins.
Appreciate 3
      06-24-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

I'm in a m50i on the factory 22s with the continental sportcontact 6 and also find the noise to be unbearably loud especially on highway. Even bad on certain surfaces around town. By far worst factory car I owned exhibiting this much tire noise. I test drove several 40is with same tires and didn't find noise nowhere as bad, the extra weight of the car is certainly the culprit here. 50e/45e is even worse as they are 400+ pounds over the M50i. Not like there is much choice for swapping out to different brand tires, and at 2K+ not sure if I want to gamble like that.

Doesn't help that X5s haven't offered dual pane glass in years.

Thinking about stepping down to the 20s but haven't found a single option I like. If I don't find a suitable replacement might go back to Audi with dual pane windows (Q7/SQ7) or an X7.
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #6
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

I picked up mine last week (20 inch wheels) and they came with Bridgestone that I absolutely hate. Replacing them next week with Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 next week. Based on my research, they are the most well rounded all season for the 20 inch wheels. Below is Tire Rack road test results. I had them on a previous car and the difference they make in reducing (and almost eliminating) road noise and the added comfort is mind blowing.

_
Attached Images

Last edited by mattsrs; 06-25-2023 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
GTGuy32.50
cxyzs73.00
LDT1539.50
      06-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #7
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Once the current continentals are done I will replace it with these all season Michelins. I have them on my current Mercedes S580 and had them on the previous Audi A8l. Super smooth and quiet and lasted more than 45k miles.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLN0&tab=Sizes
Appreciate 1
GTGuy32.50
      06-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
Once the current continentals are done I will replace it with these all season Michelins. I have them on my current Mercedes S580 and had them on the previous Audi A8l. Super smooth and quiet and lasted more than 45k miles.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLN0&tab=Sizes
I've been a Continental fan for years and many diff car models so when I saw your post on the Michelin's, I clicked the Tire Rack link and found someone who has 20K miles on the same year/model as my X5 cause I like to read reviews on competitor tires to the Continentals.. .. ..but.. .. .. the review wasn't all that favorable in terms of wear. There aren't many reviews on that particular tire yet so there's no Tire Rack report and I don't know how this person drives, I mean what does Average really mean. This is just one point estimate so am hoping for many more before I need to replace my stock Pirelli's Scorpion Zero's.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #9
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I've been a Continental fan for years and many diff car models so when I saw your post on the Michelin's, I clicked the Tire Rack link and found someone who has 20K miles on the same year/model as my X5 cause I like to read reviews on competitor tires to the Continentals.. .. ..but.. .. .. the review wasn't all that favorable in terms of wear. There aren't many reviews on that particular tire yet so there's no Tire Rack report and I don't know how this person drives, I mean what does Average really mean. This is just one point estimate so am hoping for many more before I need to replace my stock Pirelli's Scorpion Zero's.

Yeah I was surprised at the tire wear on that review but then again from my experience i got more than 45k on both sets of these tires on the heavy 2012 Audi A8l without tire wear issues so I am not sure how is that persons driving style. Did 10k on these with the current 2022 S580 without wear issues. I am aggressive but do 90 percent highway driving and I do not use these during winters as I have separate winters. I do 25k miles of driving a year so a set of these last 2-3 years for me with the winter swap.
Appreciate 0