BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
shelbymaize
Rep
Drives: BMW X 5 2023 x drive

Navigation 2023 X5

Is the navigation live, like waze so it will change a route based on traffic accidents etc? Or should I just continue to use the Waze app? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If it detects congestion along the way, it will offer alternative routes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
shelbymaize
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
note the vehicle will not consider the driver's tolerance of traffic, though. i say this because even though it may detect traffic ahead, it uses its own 'tolerance' algorithm to decide whether or not the congestion warrants a re-route. in other words, not all traffic congestion will trigger a re-route.

while it has suggested re-routes during my travels, on several occasions i've had to make the active decision to bypass traffic despite the vehicle telling me to 'stay the course'. in doing so, the vehicle continued to tell me to go back to its intended route until it came to a point where staying on my decided route agreed with its algorithm.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-17-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 05:40 AM   #5
shelbymaize
Rep

Thank you for this
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
note the vehicle will not consider the driver's tolerance of traffic, though. i say this because even though it may detect traffic ahead, it uses its own 'tolerance' algorithm to decide whether or not the congestion warrants a re-route. in other words, not all traffic congestion will trigger a re-route.

while it has suggested re-routes during my travels, on several occasions i've had to make the active decision to bypass traffic despite the vehicle telling me to 'stay the course'. in doing so, the vehicle continued to tell me to go back to its intended route until it came to a point where staying on my decided route agreed with its algorithm.
This ^^^.

My experience with some very dynamic traffic delays has led me to determine that the algorithm won't offer a new route until it saves 10 minutes over the current route (with the current traffic delays.)

There are two issues I have with this. One, as you point out is my tolerance for delays. On a 40 minute drive, a 10 minute delay is a big deal. On a 5 hour trip, not so much. Two, it's basing its solution on the RTTI feed. That tells it what the current situation is. When I was still commuting (about 40 miles one way), I knew the dynamics of the local rush hour traffic. If it reported a 5 min delay when I was leaving work, I knew it would be a 15-20 minute delay by the time I got 10 miles down the road. So I'd take off on the long way home which added about 10 miles but it was all at 70+ mph ultimately saving me 5 - 15 minutes over the original route. I'd have to get about 5 miles down that route before it would stop telling me to turn around and go the way I wanted.

But ultimately I found that when it does offer up an alternate, it usually is an improvement.

Gerry