BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #1
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Driver Assistance Restricted

Adding another error message that popped up today while I was driving. After exiting and restarting the car, everything was back to normal but now I'm wondering if it's gonna happen again.

[ATTACH]Name:  Error - 2.jpeg
Views: 884
Size:  350.0 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      09-16-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
I too have had that happen one time a few weeks ago. I did not see it on any subsequent driving cycles.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 1
krypttic254.50
      09-17-2023, 07:05 AM   #3
Money Pit
Rep
Drives: X5 50e & 535 ix

Got the same error message the other day. Had to finish a long road trip without any driver assistance. Very frustrating. Went away the next morning. I'm finding numerous software bugs in my 2024 X5 50e. Had this warning and the reoccurring apple carplay connection issue
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
MikeX521
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
Got the same error message the other day. Had to finish a long road trip without any driver assistance. Very frustrating. Went away the next morning. I'm finding numerous software bugs in my 2024 X5 50e. Had this warning and the reoccurring apple carplay connection issue
The exact same as this to me. 2500kms on my car. Its software bugs that I hope to be resolved on next release.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
JDSX
5th BMW
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
I picked my car up from the service center this morning (they updated it to 8.5 while replacing windshield) and that was the first message I saw. Highway assist plus kept saying it was ready on the way home but I couldn’t activate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSX View Post
I picked my car up from the service center this morning (they updated it to 8.5 while replacing windshield) and that was the first message I saw. Highway assist plus kept saying it was ready on the way home but I couldn’t activate it.
One thing that seems to have changed with 8.5 is that you no longer use the mode button to engage highway assist plus. Instead, when the car indicates assist plus is ready you simply remove your hands from the wheel and it will engage. It took me several miles last weekend to figure this out.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      09-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
JDSX
5th BMW
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
One thing that seems to have changed with 8.5 is that you no longer use the mode button to engage highway assist plus. Instead, when the car indicates assist plus is ready you simply remove your hands from the wheel and it will engage. It took me several miles last weekend to figure this out.
Too bad I just saw your post. I figured it out after a few miles but it was tough to troubleshoot/triangulate while driving in Manhattan.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #8
lackland
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 2024

Yes - saw this message last weekend for no apparent reason. Pulled off at the next exit, restarted the car and for good measure held in the volume button to restart the computer and everything worked again. A little amusing and a little unnerving that the car really is, as people say, a computer on wheels and turning it off and on again is the answer to many problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:00 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Regurgitating the thread as got this error numerous times over last weekend's road trip to San Diego from Phoenix in the wife's LCI which was annoying. I had tested highway assist aka DAP+ on a local freeway after the purchase so at least back in August it was working.

In my experience in DAP a few seconds after taking my hand off the wheel the error would throw and shut down the system. With my DAP and iD7 on the M850i the steering wheel lights will go yellow after 5 seconds (which last for 10 seconds) and then go red for 5 seconds before disengaging so 20 seconds overall to get one's hands back on the wheel.

In DAP+ when available on I-8 the steering wheel lights would go green indicating ready to go. But with my eyes looking forward the second I took my hands off the wheel the error would throw. It was hard to take pictures as it happened at 80+ miles an hour but was able to catch them all after various attempts.

The error messages themselves would throw whether DAP or DAP+. I completed the long boring I-8 and other stretches for the 5+ hour trip in DAP with my hand on the wheel at all times. Will take the X5 in for service to troubleshoot but guessing part of that will be an upgrade to 8.5 which my wife won't like as the widgets are gone for the iD8 screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:04 AM   #10
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Regurgitating the thread as got this error numerous times over last weekend's road trip to San Diego from Phoenix in the wife's LCI which was annoying. I had tested highway assist aka DAP+ on a local freeway after the purchase so at least back in August it was working.

In my experience in DAP a few seconds after taking my hand off the wheel the error would throw and shut down the system. With my DAP and iD7 on the M850i the steering wheel lights will go yellow after 5 seconds (which last for 10 seconds) and then go red for 5 seconds before disengaging so 20 seconds overall to get one's hands back on the wheel.

In DAP+ when available on I-8 the steering wheel lights would go green indicating ready to go. But with my eyes looking forward the second I took my hands off the wheel the error would throw. It was hard to take pictures as it happened at 80+ miles an hour but was able to catch them all after various attempts.

The error messages themselves would throw whether DAP or DAP+. I completed the long boring I-8 and other stretches for the 5+ hour trip in DAP with my hand on the wheel at all times. Will take the X5 in for service to troubleshoot but guessing part of that will be an upgrade to 8.5 which my wife won't like as the widgets are gone for the iD8 screen.

It could be a faulty radar sensor. I had one fail on my 2024 X5 40i at 500kms which caused it to start showing similar errors.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:15 AM   #11
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Something else that triggers this is dirt/road grime/snow covering the sensor.

It's incredibly sensitive (as it should be; I'd rather the system tell me it doesn't want to work instead of rolling the dice and hoping for the best).

So if the sensor isn't clean, it will throw these malfunction messages. It would be nice if BMW created a specific message for a dirty sensor as opposed to a generic malfunction message.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 09:41 AM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
It could be a faulty radar sensor. I had one fail on my 2024 X5 40i at 500kms which caused it to start showing similar errors.
Thanks for the input. The oddity is the sensors appear to be working fine PDC and in DAP (as long as the hand doesn't leave the wheel for a second or two. Since it will be inevitable as part of diagnosis and repair I went ahead with the 11/2023.42 iD8.5 upgrade. Didn't have a chance to test DAP/DAP+ though but will do so today when the wife is back from work.

Set the main home screen for her to media (as that was one of her widgets) and now (not sure when introduced) you can lick the quick task list to the widget(s) you want displayed. So locked it to the last one with weather and the clock (her other required widget). Explained if you just want the map for whatever reason (NAV is in the HUD) just press the map button. 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 09:48 AM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Something else that triggers this is dirt/road grime/snow covering the sensor.

It's incredibly sensitive (as it should be; I'd rather the system tell me it doesn't want to work instead of rolling the dice and hoping for the best).

So if the sensor isn't clean, it will throw these malfunction messages. It would be nice if BMW created a specific message for a dirty sensor as opposed to a generic malfunction message.
Good point. In fact I did check all the front sensors which were clean but in hindsight didn't check the rear which are used for cross traffic and lane change assistance. Still odd though given as long as I had my hand on the wheel DAP worked flawlessly including lane change assistance.

I even reconfigured the cluster center screen to show driving assistance and it tracked all cars around me, in front of me, etc. On a side note is there a setting in iD8/8.5 for when DAP is activated the driving assistant view takes over the cluster center screen? That's one of my favorite features in iD7 so when in DAP it's automatically changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:39 PM   #14
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I had this issue last year. It required newer vehicle software to be installed and the driver assistance system to be recalibrated. Since then it’s not had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:04 AM   #15
dhdd
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

this is happening to me on a recurring basis now. Occurred just pulling out of the garage, driving down the road, etc.... reboot tends to help for a few days but then the warnings come back in a few days. The X5 50e is so glitchy!
Appreciate 0