BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2023, 11:23 AM   #45
Jrg3170
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

My pleasure! Best way to see the CCS plug is to drive to one and actually look at the plug. You’ll see immediately how it is different.

Also, the BMW nav map shows charging locations. So if you don’t already have that turned on it’s a helpful feature. I find it faster and easier than fiddling around with PlugShare in Apple car play mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I recently added a second JuiceBox 40 EVSE to our garage after my wife picked up her 530e. we first tried sharing just the one JuiceBox, but that got old within a week. what’s great about the JuiceBox is they can share the same circuit through their Load Sharing program, so I didn’t need to call an electrician for a second install. more details here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29738966
Appreciate 1
Jrg317022.00
      01-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #47
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

I picked up a used Chargepoint Home Flex for $560.

Overkill for the 45e? Absolutely, but I figure I can uninstall it later, and if I get a faster charging EV I can use it then.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:09 PM   #48
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Chargpoint flex is a good EVSE. Sure one of the more expansive ones. I like it better than Juicebox that I also have two reasons 1) same apps as I used at work to manage charging. 2) CPF has a much more pliable cable than Juicebox. Even in Cali mild temperature, say 35F at night, Juicebox cable get very stiff. Coil/uncoil the next morning is a lot harder than Chargpoint one.
      01-17-2023, 03:52 PM   #49
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Clipper Creek has a two cable auto-sharing EVSE if you need two...it's cheaper than buying two EVSEs and having them installed. That's assuming your panel has enough capacity for two in the first place. https://clippercreek.com/?s=dual+output .

The cables are one of the more expensive items in an EVSE.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 06:41 PM   #50
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Clipper Creek has a two cable auto-sharing EVSE if you need two...it's cheaper than buying two EVSEs and having them installed. That's assuming your panel has enough capacity for two in the first place. https://clippercreek.com/?s=dual+output
The cables are one of the more expensive items in an EVSE.
ClipperCreek is a great brand with stellar customer support. I purchased my first level 2 EVSE (AmazingE) from them.

technically, my panel doesn't have enough capacity for two separate EVSE circuits, but JuiceNet's load sharing program avoids the need. i'm required to stay with JuiceBox in order to continue receiving annual rebates from my utility company. my two Juicebox 40 setup actually costs less than the CC dual EVSE:
$427 - JuiceBox 40 #1 (25' cable) + annual utility bill rebates
$475 - JuiceBox 40 #2 (20' cable)
$250 - JuiceStand
$ 85 - NEMA 14-50 splitter, UL certified
———-
$1237 total**

**not including the initial $500 circuit/install fee since it's shared
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:50 AM   #51
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Chargpoint flex is a good EVSE. Sure one of the more expansive ones. I like it better than Juicebox that I also have two reasons 1) same apps as I used at work to manage charging. 2) CPF has a much more pliable cable than Juicebox. Even in Cali mild temperature, say 35F at night, Juicebox cable get very stiff. Coil/uncoil the next morning is a lot harder than Chargpoint one.
what cable length is your JuiceBox, 20’ or 25’? I have both and found the 20’ is much less pliable than the 25’
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:09 PM   #52
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
what cable length is your JuiceBox, 20’ or 25’? I have both and found the 20’ is much less pliable than the 25’
I have 25ft version

I started with the 20ft version ordered from costco for $450+tax. It was a very good deal. But then I found if I park in driveway, 20ft cannot reach 45e charge port and close the garage door. so I returned back to costco and order directly from Juicebox for 25ft version. Back then, ambient temp is still not very low, I don't feel the stiffness of the cable. For the last couple of weeks with roof box mounted, car cannot get into garage anymore, so I park outside, and notice the cable stiffness at night and in morning.

Charge Point Flex I am also using now is a very old model from neighbor. It wasn't working. I am attempting to repair it and now under some testing before returning back to neighbor. The sheathing of the cable is a different material, more of rubber than TPU like as in Juice box. CPF cable is also thinner. Together, it feels softer. In colder temp, it doesn't doesn't retain shape as in Juicebox cable.
      03-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #53
blueagave23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Xdrive45E

Need guidance on Level 2 Charging options for 2023 Xdrive45e

Hello,

I just bought a new xdrive45e. We have a 240V 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit that we had installed for another EV. Can we also use this outlet to charge our Xdrive45e and if so, what would you recommend as a level 2 charger we could buy to plug into it?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #54
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueagave23 View Post
Hello,

I just bought a new xdrive45e. We have a 240V 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit that we had installed for another EV. Can we also use this outlet to charge our Xdrive45e and if so, what would you recommend as a level 2 charger we could buy to plug into it?
BMW should come with an EVSE you can use to charge the car. Or if your other EV uses j1772 plug you can use the same EVSE to charge the car one at a time.

If you want to charge both cars at the same time you could get something like 14-50 neocharge splitter, and slow charge both cars at the same time at lower Amps Ie divide 40amp to 20ampa for both cars or less depending on how much max they can handle. You’ll need two EVSE to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #55
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
BMW should come with an EVSE you can use to charge the car. Or if your other EV uses j1772 plug you can use the same EVSE to charge the car one at a time.

If you want to charge both cars at the same time you could get something like 14-50 neocharge splitter, and slow charge both cars at the same time at lower Amps Ie divide 40amp to 20ampa for both cars or less depending on how much max they can handle. You’ll need two EVSE to do that.
the included EVSE is level 1, which he can’t use on that outlet
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #56
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can’t buy a swappable 14-50 adapter for that EVSE?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #57
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwx5z View Post
Quote:
You can’t buy a swappable 14-50 adapter for that EVSE?
No, he will fry it! it’s a 110/120V device only

looking at your previous posts, it appears you don’t own a 45e (or 50e yet). please be mindful of your recommendations. this mistake could’ve had tragic consequences.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:42 AM   #58
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Many EVSEs come with a cord attached so you can just plug it in, or with a pigtail so you can hardwire it to the power - they are identical internally, and you often pay a bit more for the cord with a plug on it rather than just a pigtail.

First, check with your local utility company...some offer special deals if you purchase specific EVSEs.

As long as you buy an EVSE meeting the J1772 standard (common to all EVs sold in the USA except for Teslas, it will work. With a 50A circuit, you can buy up to a 40A device since the code wants to derate the circuit to 80% for things that could run continuously for hours to ensure things don't overheat.

If you read around, you'll find lots of choices. Personally, a rugged, simple choice I have had since 2014 is made by Clipper Creek. At the time, they were one of the few made in the USA that had a UL certification. Lots more choices out there. Note, there's no issue using an EVSE that could supply more than the X5 could use, but an EVSE should never be wired to a smaller circuit than what it could supply to the vehicle. The thing will work just fine feeding a smaller device than it's capable of just like plugging in a cellphone power adapter into the wall that might be able to run a space heater...two very different loads, same wiring. An EVSE is a fancy power cord with some smarts. The charging is IN the vehicle, it's not done in the EVSE.

If you think you might end up with two EVs or PHEVs, there are a few out there that can share the load between two vehicles, then when one finishes, bump up to its max for the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:55 AM   #59
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueagave23 View Post
Hello,

what’s your other EV? knowing may help with specific recommendations
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #60
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Even if you have a Tesla...there are adapters that would let a Tesla (acv only) EVSE power a more common EVSE with J1772, and vice-versa...charge a Tesla from a J1772 plug.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #61
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

looking at your previous posts, it appears you don’t own a 45e (or 50e yet). please be mindful of your recommendations. this mistake could’ve had tragic consequences.
Actually he can. There are many adaptor, to convert 15-40 240V circuit into 120V. Basically, it tags out one of the hot and neutral, and deliver 120V, so L1 EVSE can be use

Many 240 appliance actually do that internally to use 120V to power low voltage portion of the electical, say control logic, wifi, lights ... and only use 240V for heavy lifting, such as heating (stove/water heater) or AC compressor ...
      03-15-2023, 01:06 PM   #62
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I don’t have a bmw PHEV but do have a 14-50 plug, Tesla mobile charger w swappable adapters (thought one provided by bmw might be similar but don’t know, obviously responsibility is on the OP to check for safety), and also have neocharge splitter in case situation arises when I need to charge two vehicles at once.

PSA no advise regarding what kind of cables, breaker, plug or installation advise- consult certified electrician for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #63
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

For home recharging in the USA (ACV), there are really only two choices:
- Tesla
- J1772 (everyone else)
and, there are adapters that can convert from one to the other (often, less than a $200 extra)

The X5 45e and upcoming 50e cannot do DC fast charging of which there are three varieties used in the USA
- Tesla
- J1772 CCS
- Chademo (mostly on some far western vehicles)

There are no adapters to go between them, but some locations may have multiple cords on them with the plug you may need. This choice is not generally something a typical homeowner would be able to support, both for the infrastructure that isn't available to many homes, and the cost of the hardware.

Again, an EVSE is like an extension cord while CCS and Tesla fast chargers, are a high-voltage DC power supply. Right now, about the biggest one you might find can supply up to 350Kw, but most are smaller.

A vehicle is limited using ACV via an EVSE by its internal power supply, and in the 45e, that's a 3700W device (actually, it's 16A)...the 50e is a 7400W device, at least as supplied in the USA (more if there's 3-phase power as the norm). Since power=volts*amps, and amps is the limiting parameter, that can help you learn how the different voltages affect the power available on the inlet.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #64
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Actually he can. There are many adaptor, to convert 15-40 240V circuit into 120V. Basically, it tags out one of the hot and neutral, and deliver 120V, so L1 EVSE can be use

Many 240 appliance actually do that internally to use 120V to power low voltage portion of the electical, say control logic, wifi, lights ... and only use 240V for heavy lifting, such as heating (stove/water heater) or AC compressor ...
'adapter' is different from 'converter' he asked and i answered about the former
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:05 PM   #65
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

I installed the outlet for charging my 45e which should be arriving later this month. I had decided to purchase a 16 amp 240 volt level 2 charger since this is the maximum charger that the 45e can handle. I spent about $130.00 at Home Depot for everything I needed and it only took about an hour to do a 45 foot run from my breaker box to my garage. I decided not to plan for future expansion as I may be moving in a year or 2 and I usually keep my cars for 3-5 years. The charger I bought was AxFAST Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger 16 amp it was on sale at Costco earlier in the month it also came with a adapter to plug into a closes dryer outlet in addition to the 240 v 20 amp plug as well at the 110 adapter if needed, it cost around $50 more than similar chargers on Amazon but this company been around for 20 years and is a US company even though it’s made in China like they all seem to be came with a 2 year warranty and Costco backs items they sell with a liberal return policy. Looking forward to my first charge. From what I read it will around 5 -6 hours if the battery is depleted.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4687.50
      03-15-2023, 06:15 PM   #66
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that will max out the 45e. But, I look at it this way, having one in the house when you sell could end up being a plus as more and more people will be needing one as time goes on. The wiring is certainly less expensive to handle 20A versus 40-50 or more! And, not knowing your power panel's status, 20A may be the best or only choice without costly upgrades. When I put mine in, I would have preferred to wire it to handle a larger unit, but that would have entailed a VERY significant and difficult service upgrade.

And, yes, unless you just came off an extensive highway trip that got everything quite warm, or you let the thing cool off to really frigid conditions, both situations can slow the recharging as it either cools things off, or slowly warms them, 5-6 hours is what it takes. Most people probably don't run the battery down all the way on a regular basis. On one long trip last summer, (a bit over 400-miles, mostly non-stop on the interstate), the cooling fans ran for about an hour before it actually started to recharge.
Appreciate 0