BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
tag21
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M Sport

Front license plates

I know this has been brought up in other threads but anyone from New Jersey decide to not put a license plate on the front? Do police actually pull you over for this and give you a ticket?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

I'm in NY and drive in NJ and PA pretty often.

I have no front plate and 20% tint all around including windshield. In the last three years, got pulled over maybe 3-4 times in total and was let off each time. I think it just depends on your luck.
Appreciate 1
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag21 View Post
I know this has been brought up in other threads but anyone from New Jersey decide to not put a license plate on the front? Do police actually pull you over for this and give you a ticket?
You read my mind, I was going to start a thread today. I'm sitting on the fence here. I have always had a front plate. I held off putting one on my last F86, but my LEO significant other at the time busted my chops so bad I caved. He's not around anymore and here I am with a brand new F96 and I'm really leaning towards not mounting it and taking my chances. I commute between NY and NJ daily.
      08-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
NYStealth
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp

I installed a flip-up on mine (Westchester NY) - use it when I know I am in a town with notoriously bored police
Appreciate 1
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
notoriously "bored" police
NY here and I AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once got pulled over by a police for the tinted window at upper east side (right off the FDR) who is training the rookie just to show off how good he is ! Cited me with two window tint tickets which supposed to be just one.

U will get pull over if you don't have the front license plate that's for sure but I'll say is hit or miss depending on your luck.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 1
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
NYStealth
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBSY8 View Post
NY here and I AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

U will get pull over if you don't have the front license plate that's for sure but I'll say is hit or miss depending on your luck.
For sure eventually. I am on the border of NY and CT, i just keep mine down when im on the highway or in CT. Flip it up in certain suburbs where i know ill get stopped.. same thing for my tints - keep the sun shade open during the day in certain towns to let more light in

I dont need to be giving the small NY towns $150 every other week
Appreciate 2
SKBSY885.00
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Im in NY and do no front plate on my F96.

Cops really dont care. They may add it on top of speeding or something. But they wont pull you over just for that.

Its the meter maids you have to worry about.

I keep zip ties in the car and will zip tie the plate to the front honey combs if im going to be parked for a long time on NYC public roads.
Appreciate 2
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Wow… what about leaving it on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Just as illegal as not having it.

Also,

NYPD and state troopers hate tinted windows way more than no front plate.

Tinted windows means they can't see whats going on in the car when they walk up to it. There could be a barrel of a gun pointed at them and they wouldn't be any wiser. A front plate poses no danger to a cop.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Interesting. Plates on dash are quite common around here and I now wonder if the cops just close one eye. I did get pulled over for no front plate once. Nothing else wrong. Now I keep it in the driver’s pocket in case I get pulled over. I can see tints but plates? They have better things to do imo. I read that dr can give you an excuse and you’re good for the tints.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Nope. I live in New Jersey and have never been pulled over for no front plate. Had a Vette for eight years and no way was I putting a front plate on. Picked up my M50i last week in Spartanburg and nope, no plate will be going on that either. Really depends on the car for me. I got my kid a 3 series and a plate on the front looks fine as it does on many cars. The placement on the X5 would be awkward with the sensors, camera and other items up front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 09:02 PM   #12
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Just as illegal as not having it.

Also,

NYPD and state troopers hate tinted windows way more than no front plate.

Tinted windows means they can't see whats going on in the car when they walk up to it. There could be a barrel of a gun pointed at them and they wouldn't be any wiser. A front plate poses no danger to a cop.
This is very interesting - fortunately, I drive to NYC only occasionally, but it is good to have an idea about what cops will mostly focus on. So… quick question: what are the rules for tints?

My understanding is that 80% on windshield and 35% or clearer for front windows are kosher: does that sound right or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #13
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
The placement on the X5 would be awkward with the sensors, camera and other items up front.
So true! I had bought a Sly Brackets mount for my X5 but eventually decided not to put it on for that very reason and (knocking on wood) so far I have had no issue in CT or MA - you actually get to see quite a few sports cars in CT with no front plates, doesn't appear to be aggressively enforced, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Quote:
The placement on the X5 would be awkward with the sensors, camera and other items up front.
So true! I had bought a Sly Brackets mount for my X5 but eventually decided not to put it on for that very reason and (knocking on wood) so far I have had no issue in CT or MA - you actually get to see quite a few sports cars in CT with no front plates, doesn't appear to be aggressively enforced, thankfully.
The rules regarding tinting in NY and NJ are very clear (forgive the pun) and identical. ANY TINT OF THE FRONT WINDOWS OR WINDSHIELD IS ILLEGAL! However a lot of shops exist and will install. As I am not mounting a front plate I don't want to draw unnecessary attention by tinting too.

https://www.tinting-laws.com
Appreciate 2
tag215.50
      08-31-2021, 09:23 PM   #15
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The rules regarding tinting in NY and NJ are very clear )forgive the pun) and identical. ANY TINT OF THE FRONT WINDOWS OR WINDSHIELD IS ILLEGAL! However a lot of shops exist and will install. As I am not mounting a front plate I don't want to draw unnecessary attention by tinting too.

Holy cow! Thanks for the link.

However, it looks like NY and NJ are different and while in NJ no tinting is allowed, in NY you're good for windshield and front windows as long as they are 70% or clearer. Maybe in NY they changed the rules recently?

On the other hand, in CT front windows are confirmed at 35% or clearer, but I don't understand what they mean for the windshield when they say that tint is allowed "above the manufacturer's AS-1 line" - what's that?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:50 PM   #16
EasternLI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21%E2%80%99 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The rules regarding tinting in NY and NJ are very clear )forgive the pun) and identical. ANY TINT OF THE FRONT WINDOWS OR WINDSHIELD IS ILLEGAL! However a lot of shops exist and will install. As I am not mounting a front plate I don't want to draw unnecessary attention by tinting too.

However, it looks like NY and NJ are different and while in NJ no tinting is allowed, in NY you're good for windshield and front windows as long as they are 70% or clearer. Maybe in NY they changed the rules recently?

On the other hand, in CT front windows are confirmed at 35% or clearer, but I don't understand what they mean for the windshield when they say that tint is allowed "above the manufacturer's AS-1 line" - what's that?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

70% as in 70% of the outside like must be able to get through which makes it pretty much pointless to tint your front windows at all because it will be little more then a light smoke tint and the windshield is only allowed to have tint on the top 6" nothing below they even 70%+. The AS-1 line is printed on vehicle windshields, it's used as the level of how low tint can go in some states, other states use a inches measurement
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 11:23 PM   #17
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is very interesting - fortunately, I drive to NYC only occasionally, but it is good to have an idea about what cops will mostly focus on. So… quick question: what are the rules for tints?

My understanding is that 80% on windshield and 35% or clearer for front windows are kosher: does that sound right or not?
Any form of tint on any windows is 100% illegal.

They can technically screw you over even if you have factory rear window tints the way the law reads. But that's pretty much never going to happen.

Front windows and windshield will get you plenty of tickets in NYC tho.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #18
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:

Any form of tint on any windows is 100% illegal.

They can technically screw you over even if you have factory rear window tints the way the law reads. But that's pretty much never going to happen.

Front windows and windshield will get you plenty of tickets in NYC tho.
Thank you. Wow, that's strict. Good thing I rarely drive to the City, although one would hope they'd show some leniency to cars with OOS plate - singular!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #19
NYStealth
Rep

Vanguard is spot on - NY you cant tint the front windows at all - but you can have whatever you want on the rear windshield, rear passenger, and i believe only up to a 6-inch visor on the windshield

Every car I have owned i just match my front to the OEM rear tints, i like the symmetry
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:50 AM   #20
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStealth View Post
For sure eventually. I am on the border of NY and CT, i just keep mine down when im on the highway or in CT. Flip it up in certain suburbs where i know ill get stopped.. same thing for my tints - keep the sun shade open during the day in certain towns to let more light in

I dont need to be giving the small NY towns $150 every other week
I am also on the NY/CT border.. I have no front plates on both cars and tints on the x5.. so far I've been ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #21
NYStealth
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05xG30 View Post
I am also on the NY/CT border.. I have no front plates on both cars and tints on the x5.. so far I've been ok.

Yeah but if youre in CT you are good - NY cop cant pull you over in for not having a front plate if its a CT registered car
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #22
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I'm in Jersey and I put on the front plate - I just don't need the hassle from LEO
Appreciate 0