BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #1
MoshiTo
Rep
Drives: Ford Edge

Driver assistance restricted

Hi guys,

I bought my used 2022 X5 last month to a BMW dealership, since day 1st I have this "Driver assistance restricted" error message affecting the blind spot and the lane keep assist.
I brought it to the BMW dealer here in my city, it’s going to be 3 days that the vehicle is "programming" as per the technician, I made some research online about the same issue and I see it can affects a lot of different things.

I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to fix the issue as every other posts I read the dealerships were almost never finding the solution, (updating software, changing sensors, changing KAFAS camera etc etc)

Is anyone here encountered the same issue than me? I’m pretty confident I’m most likely going to find the solution here than hoping for the tech guys there to sort it out.

Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Should be under warranty so they will take care of it for you. Installing the latest iDrive is likely the first step in the diagnostic process. Hopefully it fixes it at that point and all will be fine. Let us know how it goes.
      09-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoshiTo View Post
Hi guys,

I bought my used 2022 X5 last month to a BMW dealership, since day 1st I have this "Driver assistance restricted" error message affecting the blind spot and the lane keep assist.
I brought it to the BMW dealer here in my city, it’s going to be 3 days that the vehicle is "programming" as per the technician, I made some research online about the same issue and I see it can affects a lot of different things.

I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to fix the issue as every other posts I read the dealerships were almost never finding the solution, (updating software, changing sensors, changing KAFAS camera etc etc)

Is anyone here encountered the same issue than me? I’m pretty confident I’m most likely going to find the solution here than hoping for the tech guys there to sort it out.

Thank you!
A while ago I remember reading that BMW can disable certain features when the car is sold or that feature was built in but was never activated. Then the new owner can subscribe to enable that feature. I'm not sure if this is the case. It's called "functions on demand". I found articles that talk about this...

From an article:

"Perhaps most notable is the update to the program that allows you to subscribe to specific hardware features that may already be built into your car but that you didn’t activate when you bought the car — like heated seats or advanced driver assistance systems."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/01/bm...cars-features/

https://www.motor1.com/news/598281/b...option-chosen/

https://www.bimmerfile.com/2022/07/1...hat-it-is-not/
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #4
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Should be under warranty so they will take care of it for you. Installing the latest iDrive is likely the first step in the diagnostic process. Hopefully it fixes it at that point and all will be fine. Let us know how it goes.
I asked my dealer during my last oil change to do iDrive update and answer was pretty much no. Should I try another dealer?
I don't have any issues just want latest software.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:45 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
I asked my dealer during my last oil change to do iDrive update and answer was pretty much no. Should I try another dealer?
I don't have any issues just want latest software.
The dealer is correct/normal, most won't do an update just for the sake of doing an update unless you pay for it.
kgelfen3602311.00
      09-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #6
Jebryan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
The dealer is correct/normal, most won't do an update just for the sake of doing an update unless you pay for it.
Do we not get OTA updates in the G05? Why would you need dealer to do it? Just if you wanted it before you got an OTA pushed to your vehicle?

I'm asking because in my current G01, we don't get the OTAs with our level of iDrive, supposedly. I've had to ask for the updates when I've had issues such as Apple Car play and maps integration.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #7
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebryan View Post
Do we not get OTA updates in the G05? Why would you need dealer to do it? Just if you wanted it before you got an OTA pushed to your vehicle?

I'm asking because in my current G01, we don't get the OTAs with our level of iDrive, supposedly. I've had to ask for the updates when I've had issues such as Apple Car play and maps integration.
Yes, the G05 receives OTA.

Also, what year is your G01? OTA became available on the G01 starting with the '22 LCI. Model years before the LCI cannot receive OTA.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My last OTA update is 07/2021 and it says it's up to date. People definitely have newer versions but they not doing OTA for some reason.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

Yes, we get OTAs but they have not been coming out regularly and some folks want to be on the latest. OTAs are supposed to be current minus one but that has not always happened.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
Jebryan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
Yes, the G05 receives OTA.

Also, what year is your G01? OTA became available on the G01 starting with the '22 LCI. Model years before the LCI cannot receive OTA.
I've got a 2020 G01, so yes, no OTAs unfortunately for me on that. Hasn't been a big deal thus far, I've actually gotten my dealer to do 2 updates for me free of charge by telling them about a specific issue that would result in needing the iDrive updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 05:24 PM   #11
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
My last OTA update is 07/2021 and it says it's up to date. People definitely have newer versions but they not doing OTA for some reason.
I had same issue in my car, took it to dealers and they updated to 07/2022, there was also a 03/2022 update so obviously over air updates weren't working as mine also said no updates available. I would have thought that as they advertise that the G05 receives over air updates and it doesn't the dealer is obliged to rectify like any other fault.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602311.00
      09-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #12
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Quote:
I had same issue in my car, took it to dealers and they updated to 07/2022, there was also a 03/2022 update so obviously over air updates weren't working as mine also said no updates available. I would have thought that as they advertise that the G05 receives over air updates and it doesn't the dealer is obliged to rectify like any other fault.
Ok good to know. I will stop by there and ask them ? So annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #13
dmdmd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive50e

I'm getting the "Support from Driver Assistance restricted" message too. Just picked up the G05 xDrive50e yesterday and have about 40 miles so far. I've seen associations: bright sun (overcast here), dirt on sensor (car is still spotless) so, those don't apply in this case

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and report back here.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 06:49 PM   #14
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdmd View Post
I'm getting the "Support from Driver Assistance restricted" message too. Just picked up the G05 xDrive50e yesterday and have about 40 miles so far. I've seen associations: bright sun (overcast here), dirt on sensor (car is still spotless) so, those don't apply in this case

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and report back here.
I get this quite a bit. Its very sensitive. One thing i found was i had the steering wheel quite low which was restricting the cameras to keep checking on you. Once i moved the steering wheel higher, it seemed to fix the issue for the most part. But wearing sunglasses or the sun in the wrong position can make the system misbehave. I suspect there are limitations of what it can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #15
dmdmd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive50e

Ok - I promised some follow up and here it is.

First - I learned that there are 3 levels of error messages: "white ink", "yellow ink" and "red ink". The "red" means something is bad broken. The "yellow" means something isn't working right. The "white" - well it just is reporting some message.

So, when I returned (my 3 day old vehicle) I was told "there's nothing really, really wrong" - they repeated some of the stuff I read here about sunlight, dirt, steering wheel position etc. They then "reset" something and I took my X5 home...

But no. I didn't make it 1 mile but it was spitting more error messages every several minutes. Took it back. They said they would consult the BMW Oracle and get back to me.

The next morning I'm late getting to the hospital when everything goes blank. iDrive reboots 2-3 times but then dies and doesn't come back at all. I'm getting phone calls and pages but phone system doesn't work obviously. I call BMW and ask them to swap me a car - they toss me some keys (got a 2023 330e).

Today I get a call that the X5 is ready. I ask them to supply a genius so we can drive around town together for a while and...all seems to be working. Best I can ascertain they upgraded some software and replaced a sensor.

So, good for now. However, the experience of the "white ink" is off-putting. The attitude that "you just have to put up with it" seems a bit paternal. In my case there was a crescendo breakage and the problem was manifest. But to be told that the Driving Assistant just might not work from time to time doesn't seem justifiable.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:03 PM   #16
Georgetheowl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 XDrive 45E

I get that quite freqently when there is heavy rain out. Restart the vehicle and it should be gone. If not, time to visit dealer...
Appreciate 0