BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

UK owners with BMW Trackstar

Do any of the owners in the UK have the BMW fitted Trackstar tracker? My car is fitted with it but the app is really intermittent and sometimes takes days to update.
I've spoken to trackstar a few times and once they couldnt ping the car at all but the sim was working. Other time when Ive spoken to them they could ping the car once I started the engine again and the app updated but before that it hasn't show journey or journeys at all. Once it connects it then syncs all data again. Is this how other people are experiencing this. They are trying to tell me it's due to poor sim service even though they could phone the sim and it's at different locations.
They are taking no responsibility for how intermittent it is, what the point on a geofence when the car/app don't update and the car can be driving miles out of it.

How are your Trackstars working?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 50e

I've had limited need to use my Trackstar tracker (which is fine by me) and have had no problem locating the car or replaying journeys. It appears to be doing what I would expect it to do. Sorry, but this probably doesn't help you much. If you have a specific test I can help with...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:17 PM   #3
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpal123 View Post
I've had limited need to use my Trackstar tracker (which is fine by me) and have had no problem locating the car or replaying journeys. It appears to be doing what I would expect it to do. Sorry, but this probably doesn't help you much. If you have a specific test I can help with...
Thanks. Can you just check after each journey if it updates and shows where your car is for a week or so. My app is out of check with where the car is about 50% of the time. It can also take days before it updates so I want to know if others with the app work like this or is my car not reporting, which is what I suspect.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #4
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

Will do. FWIW just checked 'Journeys' and it's displaying all trips up to and including the last one at 10:30 today
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine only displays the journeys after it syncs and uploads the data which can be up to a week in the past. Once it syncs they are all there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:01 PM   #6
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

In journeys mine is displaying the last time I used the car which was yesterday ( July 17th ) and the journey log goes right back to July 4th.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #7
CarlW
Rep
Drives: X5 45e MSport, F33-435D

Hi, I'm in UK with an X5 45e and had a Trackstar fitted by my dealer from new.

As others have said, the phone app always gets visibility of my journeys eventually, but the App is slow to update the current location of the vehicle.

As an example I've just looked at the current location of my vehicle and its showing a location in the middle of a journey I undertook this morning - location is being shown as at 09:32 this morning. My vehicle was then parked for most of the day and then undertook a 27mile journey to my home, arriving around 17:00 this evening. It was parked on my path for about 30 mins and then driven into my garage. However the location in the App has not been updated.

I have complained to Trackstar and have been told that the vehicle location is sent when the vehicle is switched off - today I have 'switched my vehicle off at least three times since 09:32 but the App has not updated. I've also had the installing BMW dealer check the operation of the Trackstar unit. On every occasion if I look in the BMW App it shows the correct location of my vehicle.

I have come to the conclusion that the Trackstar is hidden somewhere in the vehicle, probably close to or behind a metal panel and as a result can probably only get a mobile phone signal in very strong signal areas to send its location/data to Trackstar.

I've taken the view that I've complied with my insurance requirement and will avoid buying another Trackstar unit in the future
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:03 AM   #8
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 40i Skyscraper Grey

Same here, got my X6 2024 delivered and needed the tracker (fitted by BMW) for insurance reasons (very annoying given that the My BMW app is way better in terms of locating the vehicle etc). The Trackstar app looks like to be designed and developed in the 2010s and it's very flakey indeed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #9
sarpal123
Private First Class
Rep

OK, so, I've completed three journeys today and they have all been updated/replicated in the Journeys within a matter of an hour or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 05:00 PM   #10
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

A car can travel a long way in an hour.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 03:53 AM   #11
Mancunian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition GC

If you drive the car without the tracker fob, how long until you get notified?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #12
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

I had a Smartrak S5 fitted to my X5.

Its *seems to be great tracker, it notifies my phone when the car is started/stopped, its live journey, speeds etc etc. If the car is started and driven without the D-ID card in it, they usually call me within about 15 minutes.

All works on the app, set what notifications you want to receive and you can even geo-fence your car within certain time ranges.

*can't comment on how good it is if its stolen as its not been stolen before, but the Global Telemetrics who operate the service have an exceptionally high recovery rate
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:09 AM   #13
rogerramjetx5
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S, BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian101 View Post
If you drive the car without the tracker fob, how long until you get notified?
I drove to the next village without the tracker in my pocket, got a call to my mobile after 5 mins and 2 miles, I then got another call when I set off back after my errand, again a few minutes into my journey.

I can’t comment on the speed at which the app gets updated but the service seems good and I’m expecting to be notified if someone does drive away in my pride and joy without my permission.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 05:43 AM   #14
Mancunian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition GC

Yes, that's my experience too.

The app can be a bit glitchy, but generally seems up to date.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 04:02 PM   #15
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep

Just thought Id update this thread in case anyone has similar issues. I finally got Trackstar to replace the unit under warranty. It turns out the unit fitted worked on the 3g networks which is slowly being turned off in the UK. That was why the uploads were sporadic and so delayed. The new unit fitted works on 4G and the location updates within minutes of turning the car off.
Appreciate 0