BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2024, 04:25 PM   #1
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

2024 M60i or 40i - Chronic 48V Battery or Alternator Issues (Help?)

My car is now on its fourth visit to my Service Center for battery related issues with about 3k miles of driving since I got it a few months back. It appears others experienced similar issues going back as far as the 2021 models when the 48V system rolled out - a past thread focused on the 60i but I was hoping to expand this to the 40i drivers who may have some guidance from their experiences.

TLDR - I’ve been looking back on these threads from X5 owners with different powertrains than mine, but experienced the same fault messages my vehicle has been having on a recurring basis. They also had the same experiences with no items in the car's error logs, initially BMW having service do a software reboot and the issues coming back. The cause eventually pinpointed by their service departments was a bad alternator which needed to be replaced but I’m also seeing cases where folks had a battery replaced? Can anyone provide any wisdom on what ultimately resolved these issues?

LINKS FROM PREVIOUS THREADS

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1853319&page=2

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1953518

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1982114

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1873020

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1993839

MY CAR’S HISTORY

SEPTEMBER -
Shortly after beginning to drive, I received the fault message "Power Supply - You can continue driving. Roadside Assistance not required. Have the problem checked by the nearest service center." The fault reappeared after turning the car off, locking it and then coming back and restarting it a few minutes later. The fault message remained on for the entire drive as well as the following day. When checking the MyBMW app, the message stated: "Urgent Battery Check Up - The battery connection of your vehicle is malfunctioning. It is possible to continue driving." Dropped the car off - the Advisor said they did see the warning illuminated, but when they tested the vehicle subsequently it wasn’t present. There weren't any low voltage warnings or faults either and they believe it was just a software glitch.

NOVEMBER (two incidents) -
Received the same message, brought it in and again it went away on its own. Then, a couple weeks later the vehicle began making a pronounced high pitched noise while idling. This persisted for several minutes and then I then received the iDrive message "Check Control: Power Supply. Stop carefully. Do not continue driving. Continued driving will lead to malfunction of safety relevant functions. Battery cannot be recharged. Call Roadside Assistance." The vehicle became extremely difficult to steer and subsequently made more unusual mechanical noises. Service Center did a software reset and I again was told it should be fine now.

JANUARY -
Again with the Check Control: Power Supply message and it’s back in the shop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:31 PM   #2
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
My car is now on its fourth visit to my Service Center for battery related issues with about 3k miles of driving since I got it a few months back. It appears others experienced similar issues going back as far as the 2021 models when the 48V system rolled out - a past thread focused on the 60i but I was hoping to expand this to the 40i drivers who may have some guidance from their experiences.

TLDR - I’ve been looking back on these threads from X5 owners with different powertrains than mine, but experienced the same fault messages my vehicle has been having on a recurring basis. They also had the same experiences with no items in the car's error logs, initially BMW having service do a software reboot and the issues coming back. The cause eventually pinpointed by their service departments was a bad alternator which needed to be replaced but I’m also seeing cases where folks had a battery replaced? Can anyone provide any wisdom on what ultimately resolved these issues?

LINKS FROM PREVIOUS [...]
Any resolution since this post? I just got the “Drive Carefully. Power Supply.” message today. I’m concerned about driving on it until I can be seen by the dealer. In the app, it shows me nothing and says “All Good.”
Attached Images

Appreciate 0