BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2024, 11:48 PM   #1
Syegor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Issue with high oil pressure

I have a 2021 X5 40i with a pure800 turbo, cold air intake, tune, etc

For the past week I’ve been getting code “1C0101 - Oil-pressure control: Pressure too high.”

I’ve replaced the oil sensor and pressure valve. Problem still there.

I’ve monitored the car and when the code pops up my idle Oil Pressure PSI is at around 45-50 psi, and 85-90 psi under regular acceleration… If I press the gas a little harder, I was able to hit 113 psi… The engines mechanic noise also increases when this happens.

Here is a video of the mechanical noise the car makes, it’s always there, but now it has gotten louder, especially when the code pops up.

https://streamable.com/r8n46i

Is my oil pump bad or it’s something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:49 PM   #2
Syegor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The higher the RPMs the louder the noise
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

80/90/113 are definitely high. The pressure regulation mechanism may have issue. Can you check oil level? Sometime, too much oil can also cause this.

Oil pressure is actually not a function of throttle input. It is a function of engine rpm because oil pump is driven by crank. When you down shift, it is normal to see oil pressure spike for like 1-2 second, then the regulation mechanism stabilizes pressure back to 40-50. The so call regulation mechanism can be as simple as a valve with spring pushing on it. When oil pressure is high enough, oil over power the spring and short circuit the oil path. If this valve stuck, then oil pressure is linear function if rpm.

Can you check oil pressure vs rpm, and see if they are proportional?
      01-14-2024, 06:19 PM   #4
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syegor View Post
I have a 2021 X5 40i with a pure800 turbo, cold air intake, tune, etc

For the past week I’ve been getting code “1C0101 - Oil-pressure control: Pressure too high.”

I’ve replaced the oil sensor and pressure valve. Problem still there.

I’ve monitored the car and when the code pops up my idle Oil Pressure PSI is at around 45-50 psi, and 85-90 psi under regular acceleration… If I press the gas a little harder, I was able to hit 113 psi… The engines mechanic noise also increases when this happens.

Here is a video of the mechanical noise the car makes, it’s always there, but now it has gotten louder, especially when the code pops up.

https://streamable.com/r8n46i

Is my oil pump bad or it’s something else?
I am not very familiar with BMW's yet, but I am pretty sure your car, w/B58 motor, has a (defective) sliding vane variable displacement (VSD) oil pump. To improve gas mileage the VSD pumps reduce flow at high RPM instead of diverting the excess flow back to the crankcase and wasting energy. These have have been common for more than 10 years.

If the pressure continues to increase with higher RPMs, the sliding vane mechanism used for changing the flow is probably not working/jammed. It is probably better that it failed in a maximum flow condition instead of a minimum flow state. The VSD pumps are generally not rebuildable and need to be replaced.

The pump is probably BMW part #11419895359.
Appreciate 0