https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...Brugohl67rJUDI
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
Futbol
Rep
Drives: X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYanko View Post
Interesting article. Of note only Nissan is on the list of Asian manufacturers. Most are Euros or US made cars with the shortage. I guess if you are producing chips in Asia you keep them in that area to support your auto industries --- one more reason to get manufacturing back to the US!! It is also interesting to see the wide issues with the chip shortages. I would have thought that it would result in more common deletions of functionality across the board.

Chip shortage will last well into 2022 and maybe 2023 so get ready to accept some lack of technology.

I liked some of the comments on the article regarding how we have come to be so dependent on these nice features which a few years ago were not common. I tend to agree with some comments that we should learn how to "drive" again!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The asian brands are taking a different approach and simply not making cars rather than releasing cars with a few things deleted. There's a massive shortage of Toyota & Hyundai cars. I'm trying to shop for a Toyota for my dad and they're going for $10k+ over MSRP and some dealers are restricting to local buyers only.

Quote:
Toyota Motor said on Friday that it will make about 40 percent fewer cars and trucks around the world in October as a result of complications from a shortage of computer chips and Covid-19 restrictions affecting the production of parts in Southeast Asia.
BMW seems to be rolling enough cars out that they are more or less around MSRP, but then suffer deletions.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol View Post
Interesting article. Of note only Nissan is on the list of Asian manufacturers. Most are Euros or US made cars with the shortage. I guess if you are producing chips in Asia you keep them in that area to support your auto industries --- one more reason to get manufacturing back to the US!! It is also interesting to see the wide issues with the chip shortages. I would have thought that it would result in more common deletions of functionality across the board.

Chip shortage will last well into 2022 and maybe 2023 so get ready to accept some lack of technology.

I liked some of the comments on the article regarding how we have come to be so dependent on these nice features which a few years ago were not common. I tend to agree with some comments that we should learn how to "drive" again!
The article clearly isn't comprehensive when it comes to everything BMW is removing. The touch screen is probably the biggest issue for most people though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

I tend to agree with some comments that we should learn how to "drive" again!
Driving's not a problem but I can't figure out how to order my burger

Appreciate 2
      11-17-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
One thing I know for sure is that there is no way that an X5/X6 40i is worth $100k Canadian if it's missing all the luxury features. Those are the things that really set it above the X3/X4 models. I would prefer an X3/X4 M40i at this point.

Rob
Appreciate 0