BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Can anyone be this clueless on a track?

This guy wipes out on a track doing a corner and I was expecting some sick, twisty/tricky piece of tarmac but it's just a reg wide-sweeping turn. Apparently, what happened was the guy had a lead foot and just kept pressing the gas and ignoring all the squealing noises. When he started to slip, he (yup, guess what) did the cardinal, typical sin of lifting off and ofc now it's game over.

ON TOP of that, I read he's like a track noob AND turned off his ESC AND doesn't have track insurance. He supposedly has winter driving exp but I guess he must've crashed his way through that season all the time because he didn't learn anything. You almost NEVER lift, that's just a stupid panic move unless you intentionally want your tail to come out. Luckily, only his car was affected but still, wth...

Who makes these kind of ppl? SMH.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 12-22-2023 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: added video
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 10:09 PM   #2
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
When I was still rolling with the Touge group I have seen my share of dumbasses

The one that stood out was a newish red 350Z at Dunnville (was about 2006), dude had more roid than brains, and spun out about 3 4 times in about an hour, two of us tried to have him slow it down by taking him around in our own cars and he never did.
Tried so desperate to impress the girl he was with. They look to be straight out of Jersey Shore

On our way back to Toronto, we saw him broken down on the side…
Young me thought of stopping and picking up the girl. Ah well

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
tigermack474.50
      12-21-2023, 10:23 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
When I was still rolling with the Touge group I have seen my share of dumbasses

The one that stood out was a newish red 350Z at Dunnville (was about 2006), dude had more roid than brains, and spun out about 3 4 times in about an hour, two of us tried to have him slow it down by taking him around in our own cars and he never did.
Tried so desperate to impress the girl he was with. They look to be straight out of Jersey Shore

On our way back to Toronto, we saw him broken down on the side…
Young me thought of stopping and picking up the girl. Ah well
ha ha so you cared enough to teach him how to drive properly but didn't bother to stop when his car broke down what's up with that?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
ha ha so you cared enough to teach him how to drive properly but didn't bother to stop when his car broke down what's up with that?
Frank answer: we help because he was causing constant stoppages with his antics, we had other paying customers after all and one persons unwillingness to drive properly should not stop others from enjoying their own time. We only had 4 hours after all.

As far as we saw, there was a tow truck behind them when we drove by

Appreciate 3
      12-21-2023, 11:10 PM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah it's very possible - just saw a vid today of someone in a M2 doing as described (sounds like possibly you're referencing this?)...

Lotta people chirping about how bad of a driver he is and yah, I'm not absolving his decision making but I bet most NPCs in the comments section would sh*t their pants just like the driver did and freeze up. Fixing "oh sh*t" oversteer moments at speed is a learned behavior. Feel bad this driver had to learn this lesson like this, never good to see.

12-22-2023, 12:15 AM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah it's very possible - just saw a vid today of someone in a M2 doing as described (sounds like possibly you're referencing this?)...

Lotta people chirping about how bad of a driver he is and yah, I'm not absolving his decision making but I bet most NPCs in the comments section would sh*t their pants just like the driver did and freeze up. Fixing "oh sh*t" oversteer moments at speed is a learned behavior. Feel bad this driver had to learn this lesson like this, never good to see.

no it wasn't that one but it was something similar actually your video was probably worse because he wiped out on a straightaway I don't know if I can do that if I wanted to intentionally do that that's crazy

shall I assume that it's another fool that turn off his traction control?

by the way I'm using text to speech so that's why my format is all over the place
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:18 AM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
This guy wipes out on a track doing a corner and I was expecting some sick, twisty/tricky piece of tarmac but it's just a reg wide-sweeping turn. Apparently, what happened was the guy had a lead foot and just kept pressing the gas and ignoring all the squealing noises. When he started to slip, he (yup, guess what) did the cardinal, typical sin of lifting off and ofc now it's game over.

ON TOP of that, I read he's like a track noob AND turned off his ESC AND doesn't have track insurance. He supposedly has winter driving exp but I guess he must've crashed his way through that season all the time because he didn't learn anything. You almost NEVER lift, that's just a stupid panic move unless you intentionally want your tail to come out. Luckily, only his car was affected but still, wth...

Who makes these kind of ppl? SMH.
If he's only done winter drifting, I can see how he thinks he can just lift. You can do that on ice and the car will just slide. Drifting in snow and ice is so much easier than the street because there is little to no snap oversteer.

Quote:

Driver got on the track, cold tires, DSC off, floors it, breaks the rear loose, which is not uncommon when the tires are cold and you're launching from the grid, starts sliding and hands do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He needs instruction.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
      12-22-2023, 12:34 AM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
If he's only done winter drifting, I can see how he thinks he can just lift. You can do that on ice and the car will just slide. Drifting in snow and ice is so much easier than the street because there is little to no snap oversteer.

Driver got on the track, cold tires, DSC off, floors it, breaks the rear loose, which is not uncommon when the tires are cold and you're launching from the grid, starts sliding and hands do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. He needs instruction.
I don't think he means winter driving equals he knows how to drift I just read that to mean he encounters sketchy winter conditions so he should have known how to avoid and if he could not, then recover from them. Either way it's a fail.

Yep for that video absolutely no hands moving it's like he wanted to crash or a deer in headlights sort of deal
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:41 AM   #9
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
For sure he does - 110% his fault. He froze because that's the natural fear response. I'm just saying that counter steer + throttle modulation aren't instinctual without practice and that "oh sh*t" factor is real. It looks like an eternity to as spectators but in the moment, if you're not trained for it, it can be much too late before you realize you need to react. Kind of have to be in a few "oh sh*t" type moments before your brain starts to process those situations faster.

All the more reason to start the hobby with proper instruction like you mention.

Quote:
no it wasn't that one but it was something similar actually your video was probably worse because he wiped out on a straightaway I don't know if I can do that if I wanted to intentionally do that that's crazy

shall I assume that it's another fool that turn off his traction control?

by the way I'm using text to speech so that's why my format is all over the place
Sounds like a curve that lead to a straight? Too much throttle with the wheel not pointed straight can put you in that position very easily. A little let off (not full) to rebalance the car was probably in order. Finding that relationship between steering input and throttle input just takes a lot of practice - and not just in a parking lot. Losing the rear at 100mph is much different to losing it at 15mph.

Last edited by RugbyBro; 12-22-2023 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-22-2023, 12:45 AM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

So I found a video, like the other one I have no idea how they crashed...that was rhetorical btw ha ha
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:54 AM   #11
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So I found a video, like the other one I have no idea how they crashed...that was rhetorical btw ha ha
Clearly working the tires so it sounds like just a bit too much throttle and not enough release on the steering wheel. That curb may have unsettled the car too. Sh*t can happen out of no where and unfortunately the wall is right there. Can happen to the best of us.

Car was going right before the apex so possibly a slight reduction in throttle and little counter steer would have settled the car. This is all conjecture tho, I'm just going off sights and sounds.
RM72892.50
DrFerry6728.50
      12-22-2023, 12:58 AM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Clearly working the tires so it sounds like just a bit too much throttle and not enough release on the steering wheel. That curb may have unsettled the car too. Sh*t can happen out of no where and unfortunately the wall is right there. Can happen to the best of us.

Car was going right before the apex so possibly a slight reduction in throttle and little counter steer would have settled the car. This is all conjecture tho, I'm just going off sights and sounds.
yeah for sure all I know is that if this is like my second time on the track I would take it easy instead of pushing it like that dude, especially since there is no insurance WTF and I would also make note of where all the walls are lol
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Wow that is odd, especially in a miata which you think would not spit one off like that due to a lack of power. He has heavy understeer most of the way but when he lays on the gas it still looks like understeer then SNAP .... weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #14
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wow that is odd, especially in a miata which you think would not spit one off like that due to a lack of power. He has heavy understeer most of the way but when he lays on the gas it still looks like understeer then SNAP .... weird.
MX5s can still bite, as easy as it is to drive
(owned 2 of them, spun my NB turbo at turn 1 at shanny trying to lift on turn in and full throttle through, then my NC mostly stock at the infield hairpin at Cayuga, trying to catch a V8 NA MX5 that was running in the 1.20s when I was at 1.24)

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #15
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Trailing throttle oversteer. The reason so many Porsche's find their way to the body shop.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #16
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

What do you mean by trailing throttle? Porsche's tend to bite if you lift, keep your foot in or hold and they tend to stay planted.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:50 AM   #17
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
What do you mean by trailing throttle? Porsche's tend to bite if you lift, keep your foot in or hold and they tend to stay planted.
They may do that now but before the suspension redo in the late 70's the 911's were known for "snap oversteer" and had a tendency to back into trees.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      12-22-2023, 02:04 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Any car is practically 'powerful' enough if one wants to push it and the Miata is no slouch despite silly stereotypes. Loss of traction is loss of traction, no matter the car, and he aggravated that by lifting, so I guess that's why.

In this age of information, I'm still surprised some ppl still lift. When I ran into black ice or enter a corner too hot in snow and the car starts going crazy, swerving, I always keep my throttle constant and steer the heck out of danger. It's like instinct. Lifting is just asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #19
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I don’t get it…is this the first time you’ve seen a video of a car crashing at the track? Was this during a track day you attended where this person was a danger to others which you’re trying to bring attention to?

Just trying to figure out what’s so special about this incident specifically.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I don’t get it…is this the first time you’ve seen a video of a car crashing at the track? Was this during a track day you attended where this person was a danger to others which you’re trying to bring attention to?

Just trying to figure out what’s so special about this incident specifically.
No, just that it looked totally avoidable, it's crazy how anyone w 1/2 a brain could actually crash on an innocuous corner like that.

I guess I'm always amazed at the bravado/ego/overconfidence of these ppl who don't know how to conduct themselves, it's incredulous.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

Totally agree. Looks to me like the curb unsettled the chassis.

On tighter road courses, it's pretty common to hear your tires howling a bit, especially street-bias tires.
      12-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any car is practically 'powerful' enough if one wants to push it and the Miata is no slouch despite silly stereotypes. Loss of traction is loss of traction, no matter the car, and he aggravated that by lifting, so I guess that's why.

In this age of information, I'm still surprised some ppl still lift. When I ran into black ice or enter a corner too hot in snow and the car starts going crazy, swerving, I always keep my throttle constant and steer the heck out of danger. It's like instinct. Lifting is just asking for trouble.
But he didn't lift. He is on the gas, huge understeer then SNAP. It's really weird and maybe yeah a kerb as others said. 200hp and heavy understeer is a weird place to suddenly snap oversteer.
Appreciate 0